Are the specialty/alternative restaurants formal on formal nights.....?

buttah75

A hundred years ago, the cruise clientele was a little different, too. Either they were very wealthy people who were on vacation (and probably more prone to dressing up) or they were steerage class folks looking for cheap oceanic transit from the old world to the new. Even a generation ago, people wore suits and ties to work, dressed up to go to church and fly on airplanes.

Now, the world has become business casual. We are seeing a shift in attitude among cruisers who want to be more laid back because they're on vacation. And as I pointed out before, pictures aren't the only way money is made off formal nights, not today and not in the past.

I happen to dress up on formal nights because my wife likes to dress up on formal nights (and as everyone one knows, "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"), but if I were ever turned away from the main dining room because I was wearing a polo shirt and khakis, I probably would not cruise on that line again. And I would tell everyone I know to patronise a different cruise line.

However, to be refused dinner service--which I've paid for--just because I'm not wearing a jacket and tie would make me not want to cruise on that line again.
You're not paying specifically to be seated in the dining room but rather you have several dining options available, one of which is the buffet. Your cruise fare includes your cabin, entertainment and food, regardless of which entertainment you go to or where you eat (other than the specialty dining rooms or the Ultimate Breakfast/Dinner.)

We booked reservations for Crown Princess' Crown Grill...we asked the waiter doing the booking about formal nights & he said that many people do not dress formally there, & not to worry about it. Of course I'm not recommending people dress like slobs.

Steve

I happen to dress up on formal nights because my wife likes to dress up on formal nights (and as everyone one knows, "if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"), but if I were ever turned away from the main dining room because I was wearing a polo shirt and khakis, I probably would not cruise on that line again. And I would tell everyone I know to patronise a different cruise line.

I don't understand you here: if the cruise line you've chosen to patronize has a guideline that one should be dressed formally to dine in the dining rooms on a specific night, then why should you get your knickers in a twist , boycott them and badmouth them if they enforce their rules? You're the one who would have chosen to flout the rules, and they're within their rights to refuse to seat you -- just as a restaurant on land that requires jackets would be within their rights to refuse to seat you if attired in just a polo shirt. Once again, as INNUMBERABLY stated on these boards by others, you know the guidelines going in, so why get so petulant if these guidelines are enforced?

We booked reservations for Crown Princess' Crown Grill...we asked the waiter doing the booking about formal nights & he said that many people do not dress formally there, & not to worry about it. Of course I'm not recommending people dress like slobs.

Steve

I was making a reservation for The Desert Rose on embarkation day on The Golden in February (along with many others) and the person just ahead of me asked about formal evening dress and was told that both Sabatinis and The Desert Rose were resort casual every night; but formal wear was welcome as well.

Mike:)

Princess has formal night dress code guidelines, which evidently does not enforce consistently. People book with Princess knowing that they don't enforce their rules. So to ask a person why he goes on a Princess cruise knowing the guidelines, is moot. Princess doesn't enforce their dress code, so it even though it is not written down, it is optional by all practical purposes. Because Princess is so ambiguous and inconsistent on their dress code, they have frustrated some of you. Perhaps you should direct your questions to Princess, not to those passengers who plan on wearing casual sport clothes in the dining room.

Now since they have a smoking policy which they enforce, I'm sure no one would book a Princess cruise and expect to be able to smoke in the dining rooms. If Princess didn't enforce their 'no smoking rule in the dining room', would you still book with Princess? I think you'd expect the crew/security to ask the smoker to stop smoking in the dining room.

So, upshot is: Why don't you ask Princess to enforce their dress codes? I bet if you threatened to cancel your vacation you would get a response.

To Bhopal21...Thanx for the input on formal night. But now I'm confused w/ conflicting theories about Golden Princess. Is the restaurant Desert Rose or Sterling Steakhouse? Or Both?

Steve

To Bhopal21...Thanx for the input on formal night. But now I'm confused w/ conflicting theories about Golden Princess. Is the restaurant Desert Rose or Sterling Steakhouse? Or Both?

Steve

They are one in the same; but on some Princess ships are called The Desert Rose Steakhouse. The menu is also the same.

To add further confusion: on the Grand and the Star (I think), it is called the Painted Desert.

You are correct, I had forgotten about the Painted Desert name even after having eaten there twice. ;)

Why would anyone dress in formal if they were dining in their room? :confused:

We have dressed up and then decided to 'order in' or 'go to the buffet' on several occasions. We dress up for ourselves and each other.

As Princess doesn't see fit to consistently enforce their dress code, the masses will consistently try to do as they please. If Princess doesn't mind, we don't either.

A hundred years ago, the cruise clientele was a little different, too. Either they were very wealthy people who were on vacation (and probably more prone to dressing up) or they were steerage class folks looking for cheap oceanic transit from the old world to the new. Even a generation ago, people wore suits and ties to work, dressed up to go to church and fly on airplanes.

Now, the world has become business casual. We are seeing a shift in attitude among cruisers who want to be more laid back because they're on vacation. And as I pointed out before, pictures aren't the only way money is made off formal nights, not today and not in the past.

As others have said, I don't understand your attitude. Princess seems to provide plenty of casual alternatives to the main dining room. The dress code is clearly published on the company website. As the proprietor, Princess has every right to make these kinds of rules.

If you really wanted to wear a polo on a formal night, why wouldn't you simply eat at one of the casual alternatives?

DH and I have not decided whether or not to pack formal wear on our upcoming cruise on the Ruby. We really like to travel very light and formal night might require an extra suitcase for us. If we decide to skip formal attire, we'll just try eat somewhere else that night. What's the big deal? We'll have plenty of other nights in the dining room in our oh-so-Smart-Casual-wear. ;)

CG

I mean there are TWO (to, too?) dress code threads going on here simultaneously, and I'm hoping someone will have the nerve to start a third..

"Is Formal Wear Required to Order Room Service on Formal Night?" :D:D

"If your muster station is an entertainment lounge, is formal wear required in the event of a maritime disaster on formal night?"

Hmmm...

I was going to ask HighlordDave why he cruises Princess with NCL and Oceana available out there. And let's face it Carnival has polished up their act at least on the newer ships too. But he answered the question... the wife...

I'm sort of in the same boat, but, like others I don't understand why you'd object to the dining room maitre d' enforcing the dress rules. They would at most country clubs or other upscale venues ashore. It's not like you'd miss a meal alternatively. I guess I'm part of the if they are going to have it (a standard), then enforce it. I'd like to know that safety issues on the bridge and below deck are handled that way...

I think that the bigger ships that have become standard lack the cohesive style that made formal night more inviting and less imposing in the past. IMHO

Cruise the other line, wouldn't miss your polo at all..............

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation Europe 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

Archived