Royal Founders

Are you eligible to join the Royal Founders  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Are you eligible to join the Royal Founders

• Yes
    • No

• 3 weeks later...

Nordic Prince in 1973 and Sun Viking in 1974.

We even the cheesy pictures of us holding the "lifesaver" with the ship's name, and DH in his plaid long pants (EWWWWWWW!!).

He want's me to scan the pic and use it as my avatar!:D :D

Which I did! There we are in all our 1970's glory!!!

I have been seeing many different groups that people belong to on this website. I have been thinking, is there a group for those of us who have sailed on RCCL original fleet: Song of Norway, Nordic Prince & Sun Viking. You could even make it more exclusive by including the Song of America and say all the ships that were not "of the seas".

If there isn't such a group, does anyone have any interest in forming such a group. After all we were there when RCCL got it all started and we can exchange some fond memories of the old ships and old ways.

Good Sailing, Murf

I am new to cruising, but I'm not doing too badly only starting in 2002!! I wish I would've cruised in the 70's and 80's because it seemed so much more special. I guess I couldn't afford it then!!! LOL I just got out my honeymoon album from Bermuda because I knew I took pictures of a cruise ship. It was the Statendam. I see you were on that ship maybe around that year. Maybe you were on at that very moment...it was at the end of Aug. in 1977!

I am new to cruising, but I'm not doing too badly only starting in 2002!! I wish I would've cruised in the 70's and 80's because it seemed so much more special. I guess I couldn't afford it then!!! LOL I just got out my honeymoon album from Bermuda because I knew I took pictures of a cruise ship. It was the Statendam. I see you were on that ship maybe around that year. Maybe you were on at that very moment...it was at the end of Aug. in 1977!

Actually, you COULD have afforded it: $500 for TWO people, INCLUDING roundtrip air!!!

I contacted the C&A about recognizing the Royal Founders in some way. They advised me that they would only consider it as an additional level of membership. i pointed ut that it can't be an additional level, it has to be a prestige level on top of your level of membership. More than likely any Royal Founder would be at least Platinum(5 cruise credits). Maybe we could have a different C&A card showing our long standing loyalty to Royal. The level of the C&A acknowledges the number of cruises. The Royal Founders acknowledges that you have been with RCCL for many years. Good Sailing, Murf

Actually, you COULD have afforded it: $500 for TWO people, INCLUDING roundtrip air!!!

I guess I never really looked into the price, but then again I was busy doing Disney. I remember my first trip to Disneyworld back in 1985 cost $5,000!! That was staying at the Contemporary, which was fairly new, all meals and air and everything included, including a zillion character breakfasts and dinners, etc!! Then we went 2 more times and did the "shore" trips with the kids. My sis was cruising since the early 90's and always wanted us to come, but we didn't come to our senses till 2002!!!!!

We sailed on Song of America and Soverign of the Seas. Have great memories of those ships with our family my mom, and aunts and uncle. Woud like to have some special recognition of being a Fonder Member. Can still remember the small showrooms!

I contacted the C&A about recognizing the Royal Founders in some way. They advised me that they would only consider it as an additional level of membership. i pointed ut that it can't be an additional level, it has to be a prestige level on top of your level of membership. More than likely any Royal Founder would be at least Platinum(5 cruise credits). Maybe we could have a different C&A card showing our long standing loyalty to Royal. The level of the C&A acknowledges the number of cruises. The Royal Founders acknowledges that you have been with RCCL for many years. Good Sailing, Murf

I'm a Founder Classic Member of Celebrity's Captain's Club and honestly, they don't give us anything for all that loyalty.

I only have 13 cruises with RCCL and they treat me better than =X= does.

I think you have a nice idea there though... just being acknowledged (for being there since the company was in the baby stages), would be nice. :)

Yes for me,

RCCL Sun Viking in 1990 (Southern Carib Christmas cruise). Wow, now days that ship would look like a Yacht compared to the big ships. She was very nice and the food was outstanding. but boy were the cabins small.

I have been seeing many different groups that people belong to on this website. I have been thinking, is there a group for those of us who have sailed on RCCL original fleet: Song of Norway, Nordic Prince & Sun Viking. You could even make it more exclusive by including the Song of America and say all the ships that were not "of the seas".

If you include Song of America I can join the club. We sailed on her in 1986 for our honeymoon. We had an excellent time. The only thing that would have made it better would have been for us to be scuba certified at the time. We even saw the Green Flash one night while enjoying a drink in the Viking Crown lounge. We got the drink of the day glasses too and we still have some left.

Count me in. Nordic Prince in about 1976 and then again just before they stretched her in about 1980. I think my favorite memories are true white glove service and the costume party. I was part of the Sheet family. I also remember the hat gae where some poor man lost his toupee.

Count me in. Nordic Prince in about 1976 and then again just before they stretched her in about 1980. I think my favorite memories are true white glove service and the costume party. I was part of the Sheet family. I also remember the hat gae where some poor man lost his toupee.

Speaking of sheets, does anyone remember "Toga Night", where they gave you extra sheets in your cabin and you were supposed to design and wear your own toga? What a hoot!! Mine was pretty good, too!

Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway. As we entered the port she was berthed next to the NORWAY. My dear cousin, Malcolm was crestfallen when we drove past the "biggie" to board the Song. After twenty plus years of cruising that is still our best cruise.

We have also sailed the Nordic Prince twice.

Toga parties, the crew shows, amateur night and sitting on deck all night to catch the lights of Miami - HEAVEN.

Was anyone onboard when the California Raisins wowed the crowd?

Speaking of sheets, does anyone remember "Toga Night", where they gave you extra sheets in your cabin and you were supposed to design and wear your own toga? What a hoot!! Mine was pretty good, too!

Yes I do and they gave us vines to make headdresses as well.I think the closest to the old Celebrity they have today would be Seabourn but they don't have the same fun enthusiasm.

Our first cruise was on the Song of Norway. As we entered the port she was berthed next to the NORWAY. My dear cousin, Malcolm was crestfallen when we drove past the "biggie" to board the Song. After twenty plus years of cruising that is still our best cruise.

Toga parties, the crew shows, amateur night and sitting on deck all night to catch the lights of Miami - HEAVEN.

Yes, I remember the California Raisins.

• 2 weeks later...

What fun... reading this thread.... count us in.... 4 for 4! Our favorite was the first of the four we sailed, the Song of Norway... so beautiful!!! We had such a thrill earlier this year when we saw her in Portugal... only saw her from the water, though... we had to move away from port for her to come in......

1428238335_SongofNorwayApril2008.jpg.b16103611c597e131698a91c2f44230a.jpg

What fun... reading this thread.... count us in.... 4 for 4! Our favorite was the first of the four we sailed, the Song of Norway... so beautiful!!! We had such a thrill earlier this year when we saw her in Portugal... only saw her from the water, though... we had to move away from port for her to come in......

By the look of the viking crown lounge that was not the song of norway. More like the song of america.

Hi..Just ran across the thread again, glad to see it continuing! And Aloha, what a smart thing to contact C&A about us Royal Royals! There should be a level for the real loyals of long ago. Those were the days we cruised RCCL because we enjoyed the itineries and the ships, not to get more cruise credits. Hopefully they will respond to your suggestion!

Let's keep this thread going.

Helen

OMG, I had forgotten about the toga parties!!

Our first cruise was on the Nordic Prince and I don't know what year it was.

We sailed about 8 times on the Sovereign and only stopped because they changed to a 4-5 day cruise. Always an inside cabin, dead center ship and always on deck 2. That didn't change till we were upgraded to a balcony after 9/11. Never went back to an interior!!

The halloween parties on deck were great. If you didn't bring a costume from home, they would let you make your own from the stage things.

I still have my Night Owl card from the Song of Norway.

Also have a set of menus from then and the passenger books.

We won 2 nice leather address books and 2 sets of logo coasters for winning trivia. No sign of key chains.

In 1988 we were on the Song of Norway anchored in the harbor at St Maarten when a container ship hit us trying to get to the dock. Anyone here on the ship then?

The same table and wait staff for breakfast, lunch and dinner the whole cruise. We were at the chief engineers table in 88. He came and had dinner with us twice that cruise.

Archived