Ketchikan Sportfishing Excursion - Done It? Cost to Ship Your Catch Home??

2Oregonians

Hubby will be going on the Sportfishing Excursion in Ketchikan during our July 19th Golden Princess Inside Passage cruise. We read on another thread that someone had 8 lbs of fish processed and shipped home and it cost them $100. :eek: Is that possible? When hubby read that he said if it's THAT much, he won't go on the excursion. As it is, he's spending over $200 for the fishing trip itself, and that would make for some pretty darn expensive fish if it were another $100 to ship just 8 lbs of it home! Anyone done this trip and know the cost or know where I can do some research to find out the cost? We live in Oregon if that matters. Thanks in advance.

I won't be surprised if it is that much or more. Particularly if you want it fillited, vacuum sealed, frozen and shipped. The other issue is that they won't ship unless they can get it to you within 24 hours of it leaving Ketchikan so if you live in an area where Fedex or UPS doesn't fly into you may not be able to have it shipped to you regardless. I would check with the excursion operator about this. I know that I can't have fish shipped to me here and have to make arrangements to have it received in Vancouver and then go in and get it.

I was going to do a fishing trip for my shore excursion, but the logistics and expense of shipping the fish home made it a big pain in the ass. But there was one excursion where you can go fishing (I forgot which port) where the guides take you ashore afterwards and they have a BBQ set up and they cook the fish and you have your catch for lunch.

The cost is on the Sportfishing Tour excursion website........my kids are doing this (Aug. 3 Star Cruise) they live in Lndon - so they are going to ship the fish to me (Florida) - since we are on the cruise with them - how can we accept the FedX or whatever if we are on the cruise??? - I'll have to speak with my neighbors to put the fish in my freezer! (and then hope that we don't have a hurricane and lose power here.)........:eek:

What is the website please?

By the way, I'm not trying to find out the cost of the excursion itself, as I am booking it through Princess Cruises. I need to know the estimated cost of shipping the fish home. Just wanted to be clear. Thanks for any help on that website you mentioned. I'm curious to see it.

when we were in steward and did some fishing, the processor had it planned for us to get the fish AFTER we got home. you can tell them the date you are getting home....make sure to have some of it smoked. they were packed in individual vacuumed sealed bags..and packed with cold storage. we had halibut for a year after that. (4 fish at over 40 lbs each, plus one of the other fisherman gave us his 2)

when we were in steward and did some fishing, the processor had it planned for us to get the fish AFTER we got home. you can tell them the date you are getting home....make sure to have some of it smoked. they were packed in individual vacuumed sealed bags..and packed with cold storage. we had halibut for a year after that. (4 fish at over 40 lbs each, plus one of the other fisherman gave us his 2)

Timing isn't an issue for us. How much did you pay for processing and shipping? If it's outrageous, my husband has said he doesn't want to go. I want him to go fishing and enjoy, but not if it's too much.

prices would be very different now...it was a couple of years ago. i love fishing, but if he wants to go...he should go for the fishing adventure. he shouldn't plan the day around the cost of shipping the fish home. after all, many of us "catch and release".

Thank you so much. That helped. Well, looks like it'll cost around $100 to process and ship 15 lbs. Yikes. :eek:

That's $6.70 per pound. Compare that to the price at your local gourmet market / deli! That's an even bigger Yikes!

That's $6.70 per pound. Compare that to the price at your local gourmet market / deli! That's an even bigger Yikes!

Ah yes, but you didn't factor in the $200+ for the excursion. I guess you chalk it up to entertainment ??

http://sportfishingketchikan.com/

This is the Princess excursion from Ketikan..........you can find all the iinformation........:D

I had actually found that website yesterday. It has information alright, but not prices on packing & shipping, and no "contact us" information either. And those were the things I wanted to know. But thanks for posting it!

Timing isn't an issue for us. How much did you pay for processing and shipping? If it's outrageous, my husband has said he doesn't want to go. I want him to go fishing and enjoy, but not if it's too much.

I've had fish shipped twice from Alaska (halibut from Juneau & Salmon from Ketchikan)...and it's been several years so I couldn't begin to guess the price. BUT it was outrageous and I've stopped fishing on my cruises for that reason. Exception--When the fish are running in Ketchikan Creek, I will sometimes rent a pole, buy a license and fish there (and release whatever I catch).

Fished in Ketchikan on 6/4/08 and had 23 lbs processed & shipped for $160.00. The biggest cost is the shipping and I believe up to 50 lbs would have been the same shipping cost. Pacific halibut & salmon are $14.00 a lb in the lower states, halibut & salmon from who knows where is about $7.00 a lb.

You let the processor know what date to ship so that you will be home. They ship overnight but don't ask for delivery on a Monday because they don't ship on Sunday for Monday delivery.

but the main thing of any fishing trip is the "thrill of the catch". if your DH hasn't been fishing in that area or hasn't been on a charter fishing trip...it's the idea of doing something new and exciting. the views from the boat and the chance of catching a big one..that's what you are paying for.

on our cruise in '06, DH wouldn't go fishing...we had a great fishing trip, a few years before, out of seward and caught big halibut.

even going fishing at our favorite local place, between gas and bait..the cost don't cover the cost of the fish. plus, it's hard to get a keeper.

I was going to have hubby go fishing when we cruise in July. After reading this thread I checked with FedEx and found out that for about 20lbs of fish I was looking at roughly $150+. That was shipping it to MN. My husband decided to pass. He has had the thrill of fishing Alaska a couple of times before and felt we should spend our money on actvities we have not done. We do plan on checking out the fishing in Ketchikan from shore. We heard that from a number of different people.

I'm of the "catch and release" era, but I'd really like to know how you know that the fish you've caught are the fish that are sent home with you? My dear Father fished in Alaska numerous times and was able to actually watch his fish being processed. Is that still going on?

What keeps the processor from sending you fish that was caught by someone else (or off a trawler?)?

I'm usually very trusting...but this seems to be such an easy "catch" :rolleyes: .

I'm of the "catch and release" era, but I'd really like to know how you know that the fish you've caught are the fish that are sent home with you? My dear Father fished in Alaska numerous times and was able to actually watch his fish being processed. Is that still going on?

What keeps the processor from sending you fish that was caught by someone else (or off a trawler?)?

I'm usually very trusting...but this seems to be such an easy "catch" :rolleyes: .

They are from Alaska and not rednecks therefore they have no reason to lie.

Ah yes, but you didn't factor in the $200+ for the excursion. I guess you chalk it up to entertainment ??

Regular unleaded is $4.60/g in our area. I feel like I spend $200+ driving to the gourmet seafood market (5 miles away). :eek:

I had actually found that website yesterday. It has information alright, but not prices on packing & shipping, and no "contact us" information either. And those were the things I wanted to know. But thanks for posting it!

I ship fish out of Alaska all summer. Most of the processors charge about the same price to fillet, package and freeze your fish. Here are the prices out of Homer, including shipping. It will cost AT LEAST $100.00 no matter where you are in Alaska. FedEx has almost doubled their prices this year.

http://www.welovefish.com/seafood-processing.htm

Archived