New To Royal Caribbean

tricktsm

Our family is checking into sailing with RC. We have two daughters ages 8 and 13. Does Royal have plenty of things to do with children? How late are their activities going? We usually get up early..take a nap..then like to do things late in the evening? Any input would be apprieciated. Thank you.:)

Let me start by saying I have never cruised with young children. However from what I have heard and observed on 14 cruises is that the children's program is very popular. They have a lounge (kiddie cocktail lounge) all their own. The activities run all day and well into the evening (at least 9PM) so there is a lot to do alll day. There are video games if they like that. They also do kareoke, arts and crafts. dancing, etc....... I have had people tell me that their kids liked the program so much that they had to tear them away crying in order to get them to spend time with the family. They have a kiddie menu also. I would recomend a Voyager class ship. The facilities on those ships are tremendous. They have in-line skating, ice skating, mini-golf, basketball courts, that the whole family can enjoy together. They also run kids movies all day on the TV in your room, so they can get room service and watch a movie while mom and dad go dancing or whatever. I hope this helps. Bon Voyage........

Our first cruise on Royal Caribbean was on VOYAGER of the SEAS when our daughter was 13. I highly recommend taking a cruise on any of the Voyager class ships for the variety of things for children to do. Your 13 year old will be in with the older teens, but to be honest they are mostly around 13, 14, 15. My daughter went to the first night social in OPTICS - chatted to kids and we didn't see her during the day again!!! She loved it and cried all the way home on the plane after the cruise. The teen program continues pretty late (2 a.m. I think) but we gave her a curfew of midnight (1 a.m. on the LAST night) and she did stick to it. Like you we like to be out latish at night, but we were able to do a lot before midnight, including shows and parades in the promenade.

We went on EXPLORER two years later and intend to go on ADVENTURE this coming summer. We all love these enormous ships for the variety of things to do and the beauty of the public rooms.

We went on AOS in July, our first with Royal Caribbean. Our 14 y/o son loved it! There was always something for him to do! He met alot of children his own age, and they did so many things together. One evening they even ate together in The Windjammer (we were there also, but on the other side of the room :) ) I really think the Voyager Class ships are great for children!

I've never travelled with children but the Adventure OCean propgram seems very good as it keeps the kids occupied and also is split into discreet age groups. However I presume that the other cruise lines have similar programs. The kids have their own area/deck of the ship (usually forward pool deck).

Would second the comments on Voyager class - things like the skating rink should keep them occupied

My brother had his 12 year old daughter along with us on the Grandeur this past August and she loved their kids/teen program. She is a bit shy, but had new "best friends" within a day, and for the rest of the cruise preferred to be with her activities group whenever possible. They did do many evening activities, as I remember her parents were often with us in a lounge in the 9-11PM range, while she was in a group activity.

Archived