lock the bags?

If you use the TSA locks....and you buy them at Walmart...do the same keys open everyones suitcases? I never lock mine...I figure if someone wants in..they can do it very easily. If they want in that bad...they can pick any lock you put on.

Thinfool - it does happen - try Googling Schapelle Corby - an Australian currently doing time in a Balinese jail for importing drugs in her boogie board bag. She vehemently claims she did not bring it in....maybe she did or maybe she didn't....but somebody put it there

For those who think locks are any protection watch the Youtube video in post #15.It shows how to open locked zippered luggage in seconds with a ballpoint pen. I use zip ties and my valuables go in my carry-on.

Well, that settles it for me. I just watched that and other videos from You Tube and can see that locks are, as I suspected, useless. If someone really wants to get into your luggage, they will. To me, locked luggage just says there is something in here worth stealing.

We put on electricians' ties to keep the bags from opening.

If you are boarding an aircraft the TSA can & does break locks for inspection. They then replace the lock w/ an electrician's tie.

There never is anything in my checked luggage worth taking. TSA requires the luggage either be unlocked or has a TSA approved lock for which they (and others I am sure) have master keys. When I fly, my luggage has always been unlocked. If TSA opens it for inspection, they leave a letter explaining that they opened it (I have received several letters).

I always use cable ties (also called zip ties, nylon ties, etc) available at any store that sells electrical supplies (Home Depot, etc) to secure my zippers when I check luggage at the ship terminal. I use a colored tie so that I will know someone has been in my luggage. I am only interested if someone opened the luggage and not concerned about losing anything.

On my last cruise on RCI, the porter told me that my luggage should be unlocked for inspection if needed. I ignored his request as the cable ties were already in place and I wanted to know if they really did open it. They did not.

Incidentally nylon cable ties have been used for years by electricians, etc, to bundle together cables. They are used particularly by the computer industry since large computers have sometimes hundreds of cables connecting devices to the computer. I have even seen them for sale at Target.

Archived