When is a ship too old?

TEXASMUNK

With the explosion of new vessels in today's cruise market, I have read numerous threads about folks worrying that a 5 year old, 8 year old ship may be too old.

The Norway was 40+ years old and sailed full.

Is you decision to cruise based solely on a new ship? A cruiseline's reputation? The itinerary? Or, solely the price?

Jim. I've found that age and size of the ship have little relavence to cruise satisfaction. In fact one of my best and favorite cruises out of 15 was a western Caribbean cruise on Celebrity's Horizon in 2002. Planning to cruise her again in February 2005.

We loved the Norway.

We love the RCI Voyager and Radiance class ships.

We don't like the smaller ships on the mass market lines which have been stretched to add cabins.

We want things to do other than sit around and eat, drink and smoke. Good entertainment, sports activities and a state of the art fitness facility are mandatory. Ports are not that important and we'd rather pay more and get quality than pay less and not.

We're physically fit seniors in our 60's.

If I have to row in the galleys to the sound of a drum--it's too old. But seriously, I think that it is not a true matter of age, but of upkeep. I don't like the idea of going on a ship that is either "new" or "old" that is poorly maintained and doesn't have features I like-such as nice dining rooms, and good furniture.

If I have to row in the galleys to the sound of a drum--it's too old. But seriously, I think that it is not a true matter of age, but of upkeep. I don't like the idea of going on a ship that is either "new" or "old" that is poorly maintained and doesn't have features I like-such as nice dining rooms, and good furniture.

FreesiaE summed my view up perfectly. A ship that's only a few years old, but poorly maintained may be problematic - an ancient hull that's been well cared for is fine. When we cruised on the Enchanted Isles, she was 40 years old, and we had a great time, even in Hurricane Mitch :eek:

A lot of us forget what it was like before the cruise revolution took place. Back in the 1960s and 70s we were on ships that were built before WW II.

The ships that are being built today will go back into the yards and be renovated when it comes time. Look at the QE II...she was the last Cunarder built under the real Cunard Company before Cunard was sold out to different conglomerates. She first sailed in 1969 and is still sailing today at age 35. I hardly believe that NCL will scrap the NORWAY ex SS FRANCE. She too can be renovated just as NCL plans on renovating the SS UNITED STATES. The BIG U is already 52 years old this year but still retains the hull that made record Atlantic crossings possible.

I can picture RCI and Carnival renovating and stretching their ships for years to come. Yes...new tonnage will continue to be built but I do not think that the big ships will be towed to the breakers. If it costs 500 million $$ to build a new mega ship and you can renovate an older mega ship for 200 million $$...the question becomes a no-brainer. The smaller ships (under 60,000 tons) will probably be sold off or stretched but anything bigger will probably be retained and recycled.

ROSS

I agree with FreesiaE "I think that it is not a true matter of age, but of upkeep" I would sail on the Horizon and Zenith even though they are the oldest in the fleet but would like to hear that they have been "spruced up" as I have heard they are looking worn by some. The ship/service is of the most importance to me, destinations second, price third.

I perfer the newer ships because I'm disabled. I like to be able to get around without having everyone come to my aid. When I need help I like to request it then. With the newer ships there are automatic doors, no steps and very few places that I can not get to.

Most of my two dozen cruises have been on older ships. Price is a big consideration for me, and the older ships often have cheaper fares or better deals. Of course I don't want anything dirty or totally run down, but a little wear showing doesn't bother me. I prefer smaller ships, so if you're cruising with a mid-level line, you need to select an older ship. I'll be most unhappy when they are all retired!

Clan, I have to agree 100% with you. I don't mind older ships showing wear if they are clean and well maintained. I have to agree about prefering smaller ships, with my limit being 2000 pax. I don't mind ships the size of Infinity, etc. too much, though I prefer the size of Zenith and Horizon really. I can honestly say that if the time comes where cruising with more than 2000 pax is the only choice, then I will no longer cruise.

Our last two cruises were on a 40,000 ton ship with 1,500 pax and a 142,000 ship with over 3,000 pax. Guess which one was overcrowded? If you said the bigger ship you were wrong.

Square footage per passenger is a much better indicator than the actual number of pax. The worst are the small ships which have been stretched to add cabins.

We were on the Norway seven times in the 80's and it was glorious. Yes, we've heard the stories about how bad it got and you can look at the fares they were charging and get an idea of the typical passenger. You want cheap or quality? You can't have both.

I missed out on the Norway. I was occasionally looking at her itineraries - for nostalgia sake when her boiler blew. Since she is steam driven and a conversion would cost beaucoup $$, it appears most likely she'll be towed to Europe and converted into a portside hotel...

It's too bad NCL let Norway wear down. Ships only get "too" old when they are allowed to deteriorate for lack of maintainence.

I'd love to sail on Sea Cloud some day. Built in 1931 as a gift from E.F. Hutton to his wife the cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post, she still represents the ultimate in sail cruising.

Heck the navy even took the USS Constitution ("Old Ironsides") out for a sail a few years ago...

As long as a ship is well maintained and it has the facilities that you want it should not really matter how old it is. That being said, I do tend to cruise on newer ships because the gym is very important to me and the newer, bigger ships always have a better equiped gym than the older, smaller ships.

Not I, but a cousin, got a great deal on the Regal Empress year before last (before the bankruptcy and subsequent sale of the vessel).

She was built in the 1950's.

I've seen her dockside from other ships, and she's a book with a very tattered cover.

HOWEVER, my cousin reports that inside, she's a beauty... like walking into the past. All dark woods and gelaming brass. My cousin reported that she was well maintained and still quite elegantly appointed.

I only hope that the current owners have continued to keep her up... may try a weekender on her one day when I feel like getting a feel for what yesteryear's cruising was all about.

The unRegal Empress was the worst ship I've seen. The one and only good thing was the outstanding home made donuts made and served on the aft deck every morning. When I sailed her it was a very good itenerary to the western Caribbean and only had to pay $274, single fare including PC and taxes for a seven day cruise. Water was yellow by the second day and brown by the fourth day.

To me it's all got to do with upkeep and service. Not through design but through happen chance I've sailed on two brand new ship within weeks of them entering service. Between working out plumbing problems (2 days without a toilet in a suite) and staff training I'd much preferred a seasoned ship with a fully trained and experienced staff. Long as the ship doesn't smell like an old sneaker and I don't have to row the ship's age is not a factor. :)

The unRegal Empress was the worst ship I've seen. The one and only good thing was the outstanding home made donuts made and served on the aft deck every morning. When I sailed her it was a very good itenerary to the western Caribbean and only had to pay $274, single fare including PC and taxes for a seven day cruise. Water was yellow by the second day and brown by the fourth day.

Wow - Quite different that what my cuz said.... when was this, hdawson?

$274 inclusive of fees and taxes sounds too good to be true, and sounds as if, in this case, it might have been?

I would definitely agree with Freesia, but good maintenance for me means good cleaning also. As an example, Galaxy -- one of my favorite ships -- is showing the lack of "thorough" cleaning/maintenance. Recently, on her, there was a rare lurch and when I touched the wall for balance, the greasy, grimy layer there was unpleasant surprise.

flamingosun. That cruise was in 2002 and the ship didn't sink, nor did I get sick on the mediocre food. The itenerary was good including Belize City and Roatan as well as Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I didn't regret the cruise at all for such a paltry fare. Actually I don't mind olders ships such as the Norway. Horizon at 14 yrs old was a fantastic cruise which I will repeat in February.

Archived