Sovereign of the Seas boarding nightmare and more...

jrflvball

Well, in case anyone finds this thread again, I thought I would say that I am about to use our 50% credits on our upcoming December cruise.

RCCL is true to their word. The three of us who were on the 9/27/04 sailing of the Sovereign which was delayed by one day due to Hurricane Jeanne, are now being given 1/2 off the cost of the same type cabin we were in on the Sovereign as long as we book that same Category or higher.

We were in an H Category. An H on our new ship is $759. The three of us are being given 1/2 of $759 toward our new booking. Add that to my Diamond Level discount for selecting a balcony cabin, and we are reaping quite a savings on our next cruise. RCCL's generous allowance (especially considering they did not have to do anything due to the fact that the hurricane is an act of God and not within their means of control) is making it possible for us to take two others along on the cruise with us.

Thank you RCCL.

That's great, but it also explains why the Granduer pax for this upcoming cruise are unhappy. $300 shipboard credit and that's it--no matter what cabin category. No future discount, nothing. And they are delayed by 2-1/2 days.

Sounds like you've got a great cruise planned.

beachchick

That's great, but it also explains why the Granduer pax for this upcoming cruise are unhappy. $300 shipboard credit and that's it--no matter what cabin category. No future discount, nothing. And they are delayed by 2-1/2 days.

beachchick

i'd be thrilled to be delayed on board by 2 days - without paying for it!

i'd be thrilled to be delayed on board by 2 days - without paying for it!

I would not be. Many people, husband included, get only so many days off work a year. We budget our vacation time VERY carefully. If we were delayed two days it would be a disaster. He could lose his job and further we do not have sitters for the babies. While this would be a boon to many passengers not everyone would, or should, feel that way.

Hi-

I was on the same cruise (9/28 SOS) and agree that the boarding situation was a nightmare. We arrived at the port at 9 am and didn't leave until almost 3. Once we arrived in Port Everglades, however, we put the whole mess behind us and had an awesome time.

As for you 50% off future cruise discount, I can tell you for a fact that it is applicable on a seven night cruise for 50% of off the price of the cruise you are booking, not 50% of the cruise you all ready took. My boyfriend and I are using our 50% off coupons for a June sailing on the Mariner and their value has all ready been applied.

I have been on the Sovereign 10 times now, and I can honestly say that the 9/28 boarding was my worst experience. It is not common at all, but I must say that it made me think twice about sailing during hurricane season ever again.

Yes, it is 50% off the cruise you are booking BASED ON on the same category you had on the hurricane trip.

We were in an H on the hurricane cruise. We get 50% off an H on the new cruise (whatever costs that H may be on the new cruise). We can apply that 50% to an H category or higher on the new cruise.

The only stipulations in OUR letter for our hurricane sailing were that the new cruise had to be 7 days or less, had to begin by 12/15/05, and had to NOT be a holiday sailing.

Apparently RCI pulled a nice little bait and switch on that one and fails to recognize that the entire last cruise came out of my pocket not other people.

JR

Not sure why you call this a bait and switch. It's only fair that the people that went on the Sep cruise would get the 50% discount. And, mother nature is not predictable. People go into business to make money. Cruise lines go into business to make money by providing you a vacation and enjoyable experience. I'm sure they were doing the best they could with the hand they were dealt. Hurricane Jeanne, as well as Frances, Charlie and Ivan was throwing a monkey wrench into more of Florida than you cruise last Aug and Sep.

I won't go into my "too many people are looking for something for nothing" philosophy now but a cruise line can't stay in business too long by jerking around it's clientel unfairly. I think what RCCL provided you before, during and after your cruise is very reasonable.

Reltco

Yes, it is 50% off the cruise you are booking BASED ON on the same category you had on the hurricane trip.

We were in an H on the hurricane cruise. We get 50% off an H on the new cruise (whatever costs that H may be on the new cruise). We can apply that 50% to an H category or higher on the new cruise.

The only stipulations in OUR letter for our hurricane sailing were that the new cruise had to be 7 days or less, had to begin by 12/15/05, and had to NOT be a holiday sailing.

I actually was in an inside cabin on the Sovereign and I am using the 50% off in a balcolny stateroom.

By the way- I love your name

Archived