What luggage would you purchase for Europe Cruise

My luggage has about ran it's course.

Looking for a new set and what better place than cruise critic members to give me your takes on purchasing luggage.

Sets, Brand, material just any information on what you all think is a good brand and set of luggage.

Thanks for you time and input

Marcy:)

We have HEYS hardside luggage...the lightest weight stuff on the market. It's been to Europe, South America, back to Europe and around the USA...

Bright orange and Bright turquoise 3pc sets...really easy to spot at the airports...all three pieces nest together and weigh less than 20# total.:eek: :D

I recently bought three Travelpro Crew 6 pieces, and just love them. They are reasonably lightweight, but tough.

A word of warning on any luggage: At Heathrow, they have a metal template that they might ask you to fit your roll-aboard into to see if it is the right size for a carry on. (Maximum size 22 x 17.7 x 10 inches or 56 x 45 x 25 cm, per the Heathrow website.) My husband's 22" carry-on did not fit into the template, and he had to check it. My 21" just barely fits. We measured carefully, wheels and all, before deciding to buy his. We think the outside dimension of the template is probably 22", and the inside is smaller because of the metal tubing it is made of. So be aware if you are planning to come through Heathrow!

Lisa

We have HEYS hardside luggage...the lightest weight stuff on the market. It's been to Europe, South America, back to Europe and around the USA...

Bright orange and Bright turquoise 3pc sets...really easy to spot at the airports...all three pieces nest together and weigh less than 20# total.:eek: :D

I agree with Seahags. You need to purchase light-weight luggage, and travel as lightly as possible. We have done two European cruises and getting your luggage from one place to another after you disembark can be a real hassle. :o :)

p.s. the Heys is on "mag" wheels...rolls exceptionally well!! We'd certainly buy it again! The least expensive places to find it are JCPenney (online) and, believe it or not, Walmart on line. You can also find it through an online search at many of the large luggage retailers like Ebags, onlineluggage, etc...

good luck!!

Will the Heys luggage fit under the bed in a ship?

Yes. Heys opens at the 'short' end (it is hinged on the wheel end). I leave it open, largest one on the bottom, then nest the next one into it, also open, and slide it under the bed. Two sets of two fit under the queensize bed that way.;)

Ours is different than the previous poster, it is actually hard when zipped up, flexible when unzipped. I'll try to find a pix of it somewhere...

I just spent the last month shopping luggage.

We ordered a set of Heys Lightweight softside luggage off overstock.com...it was crummy and damaged. we shipped it back today.

We did buy a set at Macys this weekend during a good sale...

Delsey Silver label.

Its softside lightweight yet super durable luggage. Delsey has a good reputation, and its very stylish and will stand out amongst all the other luggage. We got the bluish/silvery color.

here is a link....

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=286621&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

We considered the Heys hardshell luggage too....decided against anything made from ABS plastics due to the smell....but LOVED the orange color.

I look at these things when I choose luggage:

Large wheels as far apart as possible for stability and easy rolling expecially in europe where they do not have quite as smooth sidewalks by airportrs as in the USA.

Stitching

How sturdy does the handle feel. Does it have the right height for me?

Do the handles and wheels take up lots of space inside the suitcase?

Are the fabric and zipper "self repairing"?

We havenow mostly Briggs and Riley after all the cheaper ones failed us.

We have OLD Samsonite hardsided luggage, and I love it. One thing I really like is that we don't need TA locks (which I have not had any luck with). Apparently the TA inspectors have the standard Samsonite key.

My TA experiences:

1. I locked the case at home and decided to add something else. Could not unlock it. Had to cut the lock off. Would have been not so much fun to get on the cruise ship and not be able to unlock it.

2. I find damaged locks inside my luggage where TA personnel have apparently had the same problem.

These are different purchases of locks, so I can't blame one particular brand.

I just bought a new set for my September cruise. I don't recall the name brand. They are a 3-piece upright rolling set made out of some kind of kevlar material. Not terribly expensive, but they have locking handles! Lack of locking handles on my previous set is what prompted this most recent purchase. So, whatever you get, make sure the handles lock in place or you'll wind up fighting it everywhere you try to push or drag it.

I just bought a new set for my September cruise. I don't recall the name brand. They are a 3-piece upright rolling set made out of some kind of kevlar material. Not terribly expensive, but they have locking handles! Lack of locking handles on my previous set is what prompted this most recent purchase. So, whatever you get, make sure the handles lock in place or you'll wind up fighting it everywhere you try to push or drag it.

That's one of the other reasons I'm looking into new luggage as well.

Thanks again for everyone input.

Marcy

If your budget allows, Briggs and Riley is an exceptional choice. Extremely durable, and a "no questions" lifetime gaurantee. If the bag is damaged, regardless who is at fault. Briggs and Riley will repair the bag free. They are a little pricey, but nowhere near as bad as Tumi. I happened to be at the luggage store today and noticed that B&R is discounting their discontinued styles by 20% (I believe this was a B&R discount, not the store discount). With the discount B&R is a real value.

Another vote for Briggs & Riley! I started my set 12-15 years ago. My original piece has been on at least 40 flights and numerous cruises -- it still looks and performs like new! Handles and wheels are located on the outside of the pieces and therefore take up no interior space.

Thanks I will check out the Briggs & Riley as well. I'm trying to take my time and compare all to weather proof to durability and of course price.

Also while I here I would love a piece of small carry-on that would fit under the airlines seat so that I could slide it back out during the flight and use as a foot rest on 8 + hour flights. Any suggestions or has anyone used one for a foot rest.

Thanks again.

Marcy

A few years ago we purchased rolling backpacks made by Pacific Coast Travel Gear. I got them for about $10 at Ross Dress for Less and they have been on several trips. They fit under the seat. They are well balanced for schlepping through airports and hold massive amounts of stuff. They are also very lightweight. The backpack straps stow away cleanly. The handles lock and the wheels are fine.

Friends we were traveling with liked them so much that they all bought them for themselves.

Right now, we are needing one additional piece of luggage. I am seriously considering a Sierra 26" drop-bottom rolling duffel bag that is at Kohl's. I'm going to check out the stock at Burlington Coat Factory. They usually have lots of luggage at great prices.

Thanks Kellie, that sounds great. The price is excellent, I will be going to a larger city in a couple of weeks to visit a friend and they have all the stores you mentioned so I'll check them out and on line as well.

Thanks again:)

Marcy

I have traveled a lot and have had MANY pieces of luggage... tried them all...THE BEST PIECE I have ever purchased and used to Europe/Caribbean Cruises and locally is a Rolling Garment Bag that I purcahsed at Kohl's. I place everything that can BE HUNG, ON a hanger. layering them one on top of the other and then I also use dry cleaners bags. You will not have to deal with wrinkles, lack of hangers, overweight luggage, over SIZED luggage or difficulty carrying. It was priced at $219... I got it on a 50% OFF Sale and I had a 30% OFF coupon so it was a sweet deal. I will puchase another eventually and do away with my regular suitcase. It is SO convenient.

THEN I bring a legal size Carry on with a smaller sized piece inside, incase I go shopping. ;-)

I have been traveleed a lot and have had MANY pieces of luggage... THE BEST PIECE I have ever purchased and used to Europe/Caribbean Cruises and locally is a Rolling Garment bag that I got at Kohl's. I place everything in in ON a hanger. layering them one on top of the other and then also using dry clearers bags. I do not have to deal with wrinkles, lack of hangers, overweight luggage, over SIZED luggage or difficulty carrying. It was priced at $219... I got it on a 50% off Sale and I had a 30% OFF coupon so it was a sweet deal. I will puchase another eventually and do away with my regular suitcase. It is SO convenient.

THEN I bring a legal size Carry on with a smaller sized piece inside, incase I go shopping. ;-)

RenieRaider, that sound Grrreat ! What was the brand if you do mine me asking. I'll be going to Kohl's in a few weeks.

Thanks a bunch I never would have thought of a rolling garment bag:)

Marcy

We've got the turquoise set too! I better read the luggage tags carefully, if we are ever on the same ship at the same time, hee hee. I agree it's the best luggage we've ever had, and we've gone through many.

Suzanne

I'm going to put in vote for a brand most of you have never heard of. Ebags makes their own brand of luggage, it is reasonably priced and of excellent quality. Last fall, I purchased 2 of their Mother Lode Jr duffels. See them here: http://www.ebags.com/search/index.cfm?fuseaction=endecasearch&n=0&Ntt=mother+lode

(Note: 20% discounts at Ebags are common. If you don't need luggage immediately, just check the site for a couple of weeks.) They also have this duffel in a larger size (29"), and a carry-on size. I bought the 25" ones after reading numerous reviews, because I figured I'd go overweight if I completely stuffed a 29" one. (If I have extra space, I will fill it...I'm a bad overpacker!)

These are not "typical" duffels that are floppy and unorganized. First of all, they can be easily separated into top and bottom compartments, and each area has it's own zipper access. Or, you can unzip the partition, and it's one big cavernous space. They are not floppy...the top portion has removable "wings" that can easily be snapped into place to make the top part stiff. When you want to flatten them out to store then, you just unsnap the "wings". The bottom portion is also semi-rigid, but this is achieved without the use of wings. In the bottom portion there are removable velcro dividers that act as shelves...in case you want to separate shoes, dirty clothes, etc. They have a long handle that easily slides in and out. Unlike most duffels, these are easy to stand up on end. The wheels are widely spaced, and I had no trouble wheeling 2 of them at a time through an airport. Also, they are made out of ballistic nylon...an entire step above the typical polyester that most soft bags are made of. It's hard to describe the features of these bags adequately, but on the Ebags website there is a short video about each that I found very helpful.

I like to use packing cubes, and the Ebags brand of medium cubes fit perfectly into these. The bags are already very well organized and you definitely don't have to use cubes though. I just like them because it makes it easier to pack and re-pack for the cruise.

Now what really matters to me is durability. In my last 4 trips, I've had 2 different bags completely destroyed by the airlines...an Atlantic duffel had a huge split seam (1st flight used), and an expensive Delsey Helium bag had the frame shattered (2nd time used). I've taken these Ebag Mother Lode duffels on 2 trips so far (Europe and Jamaica...and a total of 14 times through the airline and cruiseline luggage systems). After this use, they still look absolutely brand new, other than a small scratch on the heavy-duty plastic bumper. They had a bit of conveyer belt dirt on them, and it easily wiped off with a damp rag because of the nature of the ballistic nylon they're made of.

As a comparison, at the same time I purchased these 2 Mother Lode duffels, I also purchased a high-end Travelpro Platinum 5 rolling duffel (29" size). This bag retailed for $599, but I got a good deal on it because it was being discontinued. In retrospect, I wish I had returned the Travelpro bag and purchased an additional Ebags Mother Lode duffel. The quality of the 2 different brands of bags are pretty much the same, but the eBags variety is much less expensive. Plus, I don't really like the way the Travelpro bag is designed...it's not as easy to pack as the Mother Lode because of the way it's layed out, and it's "floppy" on top which irritates me.

I found these bags pretty easy to find at the luggage turnstile as well. They are a different shape than most luggage. Plus, I bought the black/red color combination which is easy to spot...they come in several different color combos. As an added feature, the interior of each bag is a bright orange color. This seems weird at first, but if you're digging in your bag, it's much easier to see items against this brighter interior lining.

I probably sound like a commercial for the Mother Lode duffels, but I like them that well. As the rest of our luggage wears out or gets destroyed, I plan to replace it all with these bags. Ebags also makes other varieties/shapes of luggage other than these duffels, but I don't have any personal experience with those. Also, these bags have a lifetime warranty, and from what I read, Ebags is very good about honoring it.

Archived