Who to address letter to

Mailgirl

We had an unfortunate medical incident and had to cancel our cruise with Carnival. We missed the deadline for cancellations by fours days. The policy states that if you cancel within 76 days you get your full deposit back including your insurance. Because we missed the deadline Carnival wasn’t interested in the circumstances the attitude was that you have insurance file with the insurance company.

If I file with the insurance company I loose the amount that we paid for the insurance. It may seem like a nominal amount but it’s the principal.

We are pass guests and think that they should have bent the rules considering the circumstances, all we wanted was for them to take the deposit and apply it to another cruise for next year.

I have written a letter to Carnival but I am not sure as to who’s attention I should send it to. If any one has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

We had an unfortunate medical incident and had to cancel our cruise with Carnival. We missed the deadline for cancellations by fours days. The policy states that if you cancel within 76 days you get your full deposit back including your insurance. Because we missed the deadline Carnival wasn’t interested in the circumstances the attitude was that you have insurance file with the insurance company.

If I file with the insurance company I loose the amount that we paid for the insurance. It may seem like a nominal amount but it’s the principal.

We are pass guests and think that they should have bent the rules considering the circumstances, all we wanted was for them to take the deposit and apply it to another cruise for next year.

I have written a letter to Carnival but I am not sure as to who’s attention I should send it to. If any one has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

This is what insurance is for, if not that, why would anybody buy it?

I understand that, but we are talking about only 4 days and the TA said that cancellation policy was 70 days. I don't want to get into details but again there were also extenuating circumstances. This was also my third trip with Carnival. I just think that under the circumstances they should have allowed us to use the deposit towards another cruise.

I understand that, but we are talking about only 4 days and the TA said that cancellation policy was 70 days. I don't want to get into details but again there were also extenuating circumstances. This was also my third trip with Carnival. I just think that under the circumstances they should have allowed us to use the deposit towards another cruise.

The only circumstance is that you missed the deadline. Why is there a deadline if it is in constant flux for anyone that decides that they are SPECIAL. You got the insurance, file it. Insurance premiums are rarely refundable anyway. You were insured from the date you took out the insurance. Doesn't matter if you have or not have a claim, they ARE covering you. They charge for that.

Dan

We had over twenty cruises with Carnival and had to cancel due to serious family circumstances, just wanted a new cruise date and they said too bad. So it really doesn't matter how many cruises, the policy is what it is.

Your first step would be to call guest services and they will let you know what dept to send a letter to. We had to send a letter but it was a while ago and we did not keep the address. We even sent a letter to uncle Bob because he would take emails. I am not sure the new guy does that. Good Luck, I hope things work out better for you then they did for us. Cindy

First I want to say that I hope whatever medical issue arose turns out ok. It stinks you have to cancel your cruise, but hopefully all will be better soon.

I don't understand why you think you should be an exception. You bought insurance, you're past the date to get a full refund. It doesn't matter if you're one day past, or 3 weeks, you're still past the deadline to receive a full refund. Past guest or not, policies are in place for a reason. They cannot make exceptions every time someone has "extenuating circumstances." This is why you purchase insurance. It would be against principle for them to make an exception. Again, I'm really sorry you or a loved one is experiencing a medical issue, and I hope whomever is on the mend quickly.

Is this a 7 day cruise? If so, the cancel date is 75 days, so you'd be 9 days past the deadline. No cruise has a cancel date of 70 days.

You readily admit you missed the deadline. Do the right thing and file with the insurance company. That is all you are entitled to and that is what is why you bought the coverage.

If you TA told you this your complaint is with the TA not Carnival. They should refund the missing insurance premium, not Carnival.

Oops...missed the part about the OP knowing that the policy is 76 days but the TA said 70 (Ignore my post about 9 days past). Agree with zqvol- your beef should be with the TA, not Carnival.

Does it really make any difference? It's not like the could have planned said medical emergency earlier if they had known. :rolleyes:

Does it really make any difference? It's not like the could have planned said medical emergency earlier if they had known. :rolleyes:

True. However, if it had been 70 days she thought she had, she would have made the deadline. Since we don't know the circumstances of the medical condition, it is possible she held off cancelling a couple days to see if conditions improved, met with more drs to get more info, etc.

You have insurance. Use it.

Carnival has to have a cut off at some point.

You say it was only 4 days. Others will come along and say its only 5 days or 9 days or 30 days. Where does it stop?

I am sorry for your situation but you purchased insurance and thats what it is for. If you bought insurance with no intention of using it if something happened why did you buy it?

Past guest or not, Carnival is not being mean about it, they are just conducting business in a way you agreed to when you entered into the contract at time of deposit.

Archived