Alaska Cruise and clothes

cotian

We are going on the Princess Star on July 6th, 2008. I would like to know about clothing for the weather in Alaska. I know what it needed for the ship. But am a bit lacking on type of clothing for trips.

We have a balcony cabin. Thanks Cotian

First, welcome to CC! Since you don't say where you live, am I correct in guessing that you don't have anything with long sleeves and are probably used to warm weather? In July, you may see very nice weather, but I promise it will be cold on the glacier day! The best advice is to pack layers. You may not need many layers, but if you do and don't have them, you stand to be miserable. You don't need specialty clothing for trips, and it really is best to use what you already have if you can. Jeans are a favorite option for many Alaska cruisers. Layer ss tees, ls tees, and sweatshirts, you should be good to go. This way you can take of layers that you don't need at the time. A waterproof jacket or poncho is a good thing to have, as well as very comfy footwear (I would also recommend waterproof for that as well).

Also know that there is an Alaska board with tons of recommendations for everything from excursions to clothing to what to buy and eat while in Alaska.

I am new to this question format. I need help to find the Alaska group. YOu are right we near Dallas Texas and it has been hot. This will be our 7th Princess cruise. We keep going between RCL and Princess. Thanks for replying. And if you could tell me how to get to the Alaska Board I would appreciate. Cotian

First, welcome to CC! Since you don't say where you live, am I correct in guessing that you don't have anything with long sleeves and are probably used to warm weather? In July, you may see very nice weather, but I promise it will be cold on the glacier day! The best advice is to pack layers. You may not need many layers, but if you do and don't have them, you stand to be miserable. You don't need specialty clothing for trips, and it really is best to use what you already have if you can. Jeans are a favorite option for many Alaska cruisers. Layer ss tees, ls tees, and sweatshirts, you should be good to go. This way you can take of layers that you don't need at the time. A waterproof jacket or poncho is a good thing to have, as well as very comfy footwear (I would also recommend waterproof for that as well).

Also know that there is an Alaska board with tons of recommendations for everything from excursions to clothing to what to buy and eat while in Alaska.

• Administrators
I am new to this question format. I need help to find the Alaska group. YOu are right we near Dallas Texas and it has been hot. This will be our 7th Princess cruise. We keep going between RCL and Princess. Thanks for replying. And if you could tell me how to get to the Alaska Board I would appreciate. Cotian

The short cut is this link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

To find it again, at the main cruise critic page click Boards > Ports of Call > Alaska. Have fun reading -- it's a great resource for planning your Alaska trip!

We've learned the frigid way on a stop in the Falklands that t shirts just don't layer well! Be sure to have some long sleeved tops. We've appreciated gloves too -- if you're stuck even gardening gloves might be appreciated.

We love our gortex jackets for chilly destinations -- notice I say chilly and not frigid. They serve as a great wind break and we layer under them.

Enjoy a wonderful cruise.

Our weather isn't much different than yours so far this summer since we are directly north of you by about 2-3 hours. Pull out your winter clothes and figure out what will layer. Don't pick the thickest pieces of clothing, though sweatshirts will be thicker than the under layers. I'm not a cold-natured person and we went during a colder season. If you have microfiber tights, those will work instead of long underwear. They are also thin so you don't get that bulky feel. Gloves are good, especially on those glacier days. If you are a hat person (I'm not), one of those would be a good thing too. Like I said before, you can use mostly what you already have or borrow from friends.

The best advice that I got for Alaska was to pack "layers." Clothing that you could add or subtract from easily as the weather changes. Also "layers" like sweaters, sweatshirts, light jackets, that could be used more than once. Don't take a sweater that can only be worn with "one outfit," that is a waste of precious space. Take a sweater and a sweatshirt that doesn't have to match anything.

Trust me, you are in Alaska.... the whales don't care if your clothes match...:D

HI,

I got alot of use out of fleece vests layered over jeans/long sleeve tee shirts. If you don't have any vests, there are numerous stores selling fleece at excellent prices in the ports (nice vests were $10-$15), so you can pick up souvenirs! Also, sweatshirts were very reasonably prices (I got a nice embroidered one for $10). Don't forget gloves!

In July, you may see very nice weather, but I promise it will be cold on the glacier day! The best advice is to pack layers. You may not need many layers, but if you do and don't have them, you stand to be miserable.

The first time we took an Alaskan cruise my husband and I were so happy we had our winter coats, hats and gloves on "glacier day". Last year when we went on "glacier day" I laid out my daughter's hat, gloves, fleece and coat on the bed and told her to be sure and put everything on before meeting us up on deck that morning. What a beautiful warm day it turned out to be. Everyone was up on deck in shorts and t-shirts. I was wishing I had my bathing suit on as I laid out on deck catching some rays. And boy was my daughter looking quite foolish when she came up on deck to meet us all dressed in her fleece, coat, hat and gloves. She quickly shed the layers down to her t-shirt and shorts. It wasn't long before the kids were all in the pool. Definitely have layers available, but don't forget the shorts and t-shirts as well!

Oh lord, if you want total clothes confusion, we'd be planning to go south and I was buying appropriately cute and light cruise wear and lounge wear with the thought of lazing on the beach and skin protection. Long story short, sis convinced us to come along with them on their Alaskan adventure in August. I've spent days and days returning things to stores but I'm unsure also on what to take! I feel like my Ugg boots, ugly as they are, will have to come. What I don't understand is, how do you 'layer' shorts?? If you leave the ship in jeans, I doubt you can stuff a pair of shorts on under them, women can't anyway, none I know. I have the most wonderful sandals , again, aimed for that caribbean plan , that I'm guessing won't be needed. Sounds like socks each day are a must?? We are going August 10th on Star Princess anyone else??

OH! Anyone seen Best in Show? That hilarious movie spoofing the dog showing world? The gay couple is packing and one says , "I think we are overpacking, we are in Philly for 48 hours and you already packed 6 kimonos".....so the other guy adds 2 more......that is all I hear now, hubby asking me if maybe 'we are overpacking' in that same tone and asking me how many kimonos I'll be taking.....and will we also be packing our own sheets, pillows and decorative things? Great moviehar dee har har

Go to weather.com and look at the 10 day forecasts for the ports you're going to. It looks like the next 10 days are going to be cold and wet. When it's wet and cold you can be pretty miserable without warm clothes.

Archived