tipping question for private guide in St. Petersburg

We have booked with Alla tours in St. Petersburg and I was wondering if anyone has experience with the tipping expectations with these private tour groups. In the US we would generally do 15-20%. Would this guideline be followed there too? Thanks, Julie

Just back from a Baltic cruise last week. We did a private tour (8 people) with Denrus in St. Petersburg. The 4 couples all had different ideas. I think what we came up with in the end was about 30% per couple of the total we paid for the tour. 20% for the tour guide and 10% for the driver. They worked hard for their money. We all gave our tips individually.

Wow! 30%? That would mean $90 for a $300 tour - kind of steep. Your tour guide must really love you. We were with a group of 18 with Alla and we decided on $20 per couple. I guess we were cheap.

Wow! 30%? That would mean $90 for a $300 tour - kind of steep. Your tour guide must really love you. We were with a group of 18 with Alla and we decided on $20 per couple. I guess we were cheap.

You weren't cheap. Tipping is a personal choice. There were only 8 in our group and our tour afforded us a couple of things not normally iincluded in the tours. Plus with just 8 of us, we probably got more personal attention than your group of 18. I'm sure the guides and drivers are happy for whatever tips they receive.

I don't think so. The tour is expensive enough. I don't see why it deserves more than 10%.:confused:

I don't think so. The tour is expensive enough. I don't see why it deserves more than 10%.:confused:

We looked at it this way. We paid the tour company, the tour company pays the guide and driver. They certainly don't get much of the fee we paid. We compared it to having a nice, expensive dinner. Just because the meal was expensive, we wouldn't tip the waiter less than normal or what would be expected here at home. Again, tipping is a personal choice.

We looked at it this way. We paid the tour company, the tour company pays the guide and driver. They certainly don't get much of the fee we paid. We compared it to having a nice, expensive dinner. Just because the meal was expensive, we wouldn't tip the waiter less than normal or what would be expected here at home. Again, tipping is a personal choice.

I think the guides might make more than what you are assuming. I agree they should get a tip, just not overboard.

I think the guides might make more than what you are assuming. I agree they should get a tip, just not overboard.

When we were talking to our guide, a woman, we asked how often she did the tours. She said she does some sort of tour everyday. We asked if she got a day off during the week. She told us usually she took just one day off but not always because it affected her income too much. I honestly don't think they are paid very well. However, that has nothing to do with their tips.

We didn't feel like we went overboard with our tip. We just tipped what we would have tipped at home for the service we received. We had a wonderful educational and social experience. We tipped what we thought the guide and driver deserved.

Again, tipping is a personal choice.

We're just back from the Baltics and used Alla Tours for a private 2-day tour. There were 10 of us, and I just passed around envelopes for the driver and guide and everybody put it what they felt was appropriate in whatever currency they had. I think I gave the guide $20 and the driver 5 Euros, but I don't know what everybody else did. We didn't look at this as a restaurant-server kind of thing requiring 15-20% of the bill, which in our case would've been $50-70 per person. I didn't count the money before I gave it to the guide and driver, but the envelopes were pretty fat, and they deserved every dime, rouble, or dollar. :)

I think until you take your tour you can't really say what you would tip for sure. We took spb-tours last fall and the driver and guide were fabulous!!!! It seemed so right to the four of us to give 10 and 5%. We were on tours in Italy and the tour was good but nothing like what we had in st petersburg so we tipped less. If you are overwhelmed by your tour show them you are. It took extra effort to be as great as Viktoria was. I had to show them my appreciation for going 150%.

Archived