ideas for 2nd time in Istanbul

Hi- last time we were in Istanbul (only last year) we went to Topkapi, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sofia, and the Grand Bazaar. We just walked and took taxis where necessary.

We would like to call at the Spice Bazaar as we missed it last time. Not keen on the Cistern as don't like being underground. Other than that, what would people recommend? We will be there in 5 weeks time. Would like to see somewhere with some charm rather than city centre shops, but enjoy spending an hour or so watching the world go by at a pleasantly situated cafe! Curious about the other side of the river, but can't afford a private tour for 2 of us, so we would need to know where we were going.

Thanks in advance, Kate

I found this superb thread on here the other day whilst searching.

I'm not sure if the link will work as I found it through search & then bookmarked it. I'll give it a try anyway.

If not, it was called Review/Diary of Eastern Med 12-day Istanbul to Athens & it was from August 31st 2006. A great section on a few days in Istanbul. Hope it works.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=405999

One of our favourite cities, we were there last October for 2 days onboard a cruise ship but had spent a week there the previous October. The more we explored the more we came to love it.

There is a HUGE amount to see and do there so dont worry about being short of choices. Basically it depends on your interests.

There is lots of info online, have you tried googling virtual tourist or fromers or footprint or time out or any of the other online guides? Read guide books? Some such as DK and Lonely Planet have self walking tours in them. This is also an excellent site. Lots if info and useful ideas. More you look more you find.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/

Reading these sources will give you an idea of what appeals to you. Some of our favourites were the walking tours which took us around lots of the main areas, Dolmabahce Palace (easy on your own, tram to end of line, 5 minutes on foot from there), a cruise on the Bosphorus, be adventurous and have a real Turkish Bath and massage (try Cemberlitas, tourist friendly for beginners and reputable, an experience never to be forgotten) the Archaeological Museum (beside Topkapi) where you could spend a full day or an hour, strolling the shopping streets near the Spice Market........lighting street, wedding outfit street, scarf street, linen street etc...fun and much more. We also took a boat/ferry trip to the Princes Islands, visiting mosques as they are so different, and used the ferries a lot to get to eg Beylerbeyi Palace and other small towns on the shores.

We found it very easy to get around, not once did we even need a taxi, ferries and the trams and walking pretty much covered it. We used the funicular at tunel and the Metro to get up and down to Taksim.We never did get to find an Akbil, the multiple trip pass, there were none available through the entire week, but instead paid each trip separately.

We just love it there. Hope you do also.

I'll just echo what edinburgher said and emphasize that the Dolmabahce Palace and Archeological Museum are among the "don't miss" spots on my list. The Chora Church is also wonderful, but a bit out of the way. I'm not sure how you can get there other than taxi (we had a guide for the day we went there).

Btw, if you're wanting to take a Bosphorus cruise, you could combine that with the Dolmabache Palace. The Palace is a short walk from where the cruise boats dock.

Nancy

The above suggestions are spot on. The only other thing I can think of to add is visiting the towns on both sides, up & down the Bosphorus. I'd buy an akbill pass which gets you on all the trams, buses & some ferries. Get on the ferry & get on & off at your whim. There are lots of interesting sites in these small "suburbs". The TripAdvisor.com message boards are full of recommendations for side trips.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293974-i368-Istanbul.html

Archived