arriving days earlier but want to use transfer Rome airport-Civitavecchia

CJcruzer

We are pre-cruise 5 nights in Rome, but I have purchased air from Azasmara (amazing deal!) - there's another couple at the same hotel as us - we can arrange a ride to airport for 40E (through the hotel) -includes tip, etc. - and then can find the cruise transfer bus to Civitavecchia.

How do I find out what time the transfer is leaving from Rome airport. Do they offer more than one - I would assume so, since there are flights arriving from all over and from different airlines.

Anyone do this before?

We've arranged our air with Azamara as well, and will be arriving in Rome 3 days early, staying at a hotel that I've booked on our own. I thought that transfers to the port were only included if you booked air with Azamara and stayed at hotels arranged through them, or if you arrived on the same day as the cruise?

Susan - from how I understand from my TA and Azamara - all custom air with Azamara has transfers "built-in" to their price - even at that, I am flying non-stop to Rome for 2/3 the price I could book on my own - it was part of their anniversary pricing deal.

So unlike Holland America (where you purchase transfers whether you take their air or not) - Azamara/Celebrity has it rolled in....

Now for this, I paid the deviation fee (my first time flying with Celebrity/Azamara) - and from how I understand it ---- IF I had taken their pre-cruise hotel - I could have saved the deviation fee.

So basically, I have pre-cruise transfer from airport to pier....There is another couple staying at our same hotel - so we could have the hotel arrange ride (40 Euros) to the airport - got to arrivals area and catch the transfer....Not too bad for 10 Euros each (and we may have more people to share this ride)....

At least it saves the walk from train station to pier in Civitavecchia and also navigating the stairs at the train station --- and lot cheaper per person than arranging rides direct to pier from downtown Rome.

So I will be pursuing this with my TA and Azamara and post what I find out...

Thanks for the explanation CJ. I also got a great deal on air from Azamara (also about 2/3's of the cost of booking directly with Air Canada.) Our deviation fee is waived because we are Captain's Club members and luckily, no fare change for the dates and times I requested (3 days pre and post cruise in Rome/Athens.)

I knew that Celebrity/Azamara's transfers were rolled into the price when you purchased air, but for some reason, thought that transfers weren't provided if if you booked your own hotels. I'll look forward to hearing what you find out about this.

We're planning to take the train to Civitavecchia ... partly because of cost, but mostly because we like the adventure of using local transportation. We've used the train on a port day so we'll know what to expect.

You should be able to purchase transfers from the airport to wherever via Azamara. We bought them seperately from Azamara from Athens to Piraeus and in Barcelona also.

Try checking with Captain's Club.

I believe if you use one of Azamara's pre-cruise hotels, then the transportation is from thier designated hotel to pier ---

I think it's rather silly if people do custom air (usually to tack on days either pre or post cruise) to include transfers ----(or else smart marketing tactic):D

I figure I am going to be training quite a bit - after our cruise, we are visiting my husband's hometown (between Rome and Naples- involves changing trains) and then back to the city, and then Leonardo Express to airport......My husband hasn't been back in 50 years! Also we will be running around post-cruise (before heading to the train) to have breakfast with 2Fltravelers (Michelle and Robert) who are on your cruise (right after we disembark)....

In any case, it's worth a shot to research.

Thanks for jogging my memory... I knew we had had a discussion in another thread.:)

I'll keep an eye out for your update on the transfers. It's certainly a lot less expensive to do what you are planning vs. paying for a shuttle from Rome, but I wonder about the time involved in going to the airport, meeting up with the shuttle and then travelling to Civitavecchia?

Susan - that was my biggest concern - traffic Saturday morning to airport (probably not as bad as coming into town from the airport) - but to be there in enough time and to find the shuttle - it may be more hassle than it's worth (if we arrange a ride or train it straight to Civi - we probably don't have to leave until 11am or noon) ----

anyway food for thought.

now wouldn't it be funny if you happened to live near me (Ontario):D

I think I understand the OP in that they do not want to spend a fortune getting to the port from Rome. But the issue begs for discussion. Most of the cruise lines will not provide free port transfers from the airport unless its part of your package. If you are flying in a few days early, you should check to see if they will give you the transfer, and exactly where to meet them and at what time. You also need to understand that driving to the airport from Rome will take you about an hour. Than, once you get your transfer (assuming you can get your transfer) it will be about another hour to the ship (perhaps a lot more if you have to wait at the airport for more passengers). As an alternative , you could take a train from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia for only a few Euros (this takes about an hour). Once you arrive at the "Civ" train station, its about a 4 -5 block walk to the port entrance where there are free shuttle buses to the ship.

Bon Voyage

Hank

CJcruzer,

I tried to use the Azamara transfers with the airfare included. It was a super price for flights and transfers. Wanted to arrive FCO a day early and stay at the Hilton Airport Hotel, then take the Az transfers from the airport to Civitavecchia the next morning. We are captains club and would have used a deviation to come the day before the cruise.

My TA said that Azamara would not allow us to use the transfers unless we booked the hotels with them.

So we booked our own air and transfers. Worked out just fine and we saved some money.

I was upset that it wasn't allowed. Save yourself some time and planning. Call your TA immediately and confirm that they'll allow the transfer from FCO to Civ without booking their hotels.

I'd really like to know what your TA says. Please post the response you get.:)

Thanks,

For Susan M, Judy and anyone else interested in this:

I HAVE SPOKEN TO AZAMARA REP:

We have booked custom air with Azamara - NOT THEIR HOTEL THOUGH.

If you book their hotels, you are entitled to transfer from HOTEL TO PIER. Even though we have custom air with included transfers, we CANNOT go to their designated hotel and use the transfer- it is only good for airport to pier and will state as such.

HOWEVER, we can go to the airport, find the Azamara rep at the arrivals gate, present our transfer voucher (it will state airport to pier) and utilize our complimentary transfer. The Azamara rep will have a manifest with names, ours should appear on it as we have complimentary transfers (never mind we are in 5 days earlier pre-cruise)...

Busses are filled up to 20 max - leave as they are filled, wait for more arrivals to fill to max - so on and so on. She told us that the latest arrival time with Azamara air is 2 or 2:30 pm.- so that 2:45 to 3 p.m. would be the last bus transferred people to the pier. She definitely told us not to be that late! Her suggestion was to arrive around 9-10 a.m. at the airport.

I guess the crucial part of all this is to MAKE SURE you are on their manifest - possibly by calling the custom air department and verifying this prior to leaving home.

Four of us can arrange a ride for 40 euros to airport (tip included) through our hotel...For 10 Euros each and a little out-of-the way hassle - we can get to the pier with Azamara. Note this is about the same price it would cost to "train" it to Civitavecchia - however, it would involve getting luggage on and off train, and walking the few km. from train station to pier. By using the Azamara transfer, we really only have to wheel our luggage to their bus- some can stay with luggage at designated area, and 1 or 2 go off and find the Azamara rep, tick off names, and find location of busses and come back to meeting place and off we go! Eliminates a lot of back and forth walking.

A SIDE NOTE: we are staying post-cruise to do some other touring - Azamara advised me that when I board the ship, I should contact Guest Relations and ask for my return transfer (pier to airport) to be traded for pier to downtown Rome - it is possible they would do this...I need to get to the train at Termini station, so this would be a help! (I assume this is the bus that is taking people downtown Rome to the designated Azamara post-cruise hotels.)

For anyone NOT going to utilize these transfers, please note they are COMPLIMENTARY - you have not paid for them in your custom air price. So if we don't decide to go this route, at least I won't feel like I've paid for something I am not using. that being said, my custom air was still cheaper than the Air France connector taking 10-11 hours, and 2/3 the price of the same direct flight I would have liked to book!

Hi CJ,

Thanks for posting what Azamara told you. I'm really glad that they are providing the transfers from the airport to Civitavecchia for you. I'm going to call my TA and find out why she said that I couldn't use the included transfers.:rolleyes: Maybe they have changed their rules since last March.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I hope everything works out for you! Have a super cruise!

Note this is about the same price it would cost to "train" it to Civitavecchia - however, it would involve getting luggage on and off train, and walking the few km. from train station to pier.

Hi CJ,

Thanks for the update on that. :)

We will go ahead with our plan to use the train since we are only in Rome for 3 days pre-cruise and I think it's going to take up more time than we'd want to head back to the airport to get the shuttle to Civitavecchia. The walk from the train station in Civitavecchia to the port entrance is under a km ... without luggage I think it took us 10 minutes. The cost for the train one way is 4.5 euros.

Judy - I asked Azamara about your instance - they said they were just starting out last year, lots of misinformation and mix-ups within their system.

I've reconsidered and figured this is just way too much trouble for what it's worth - I can get a Roma shuttle Limousine together for 8 of us for approx price of 20 Euros each - or we can train it for the 9 Euros and possible cab ride over to Termini station - not sure how far it is from us...

At least we know the information.

CJ,

Thanks for asking them about our transfer problem. We now have transfer set up with our hotel in Civitavecchia.

If my husband were able, I'd love to try the train. I really like to use public transportation and be around local people. From what I've read though, it might be difficult if you have lots of luggage or very large luggage because the doors of the train are narrow and the steps are high. Just read that info yesterday....somewhere...maybe the European ports board.

Thanks again,

Judy - I asked Azamara about your instance - they said they were just starting out last year, lots of misinformation and mix-ups within their system.

I've reconsidered and figured this is just way too much trouble for what it's worth - I can get a Roma shuttle Limousine together for 8 of us for approx price of 20 Euros each - or we can train it for the 9 Euros and possible cab ride over to Termini station - not sure how far it is from us...

At least we know the information.

Hey you can't go wrong with Roma Shuttle, if you can get together with some other folks going on your cruise it is a great deal. They will pick up everybody from their respective hotels. No hassle, no sweat, we use them every time.

Keep in mind to get to the train station and to get off there are tons of stairs, and pushing/pulling luggage through all this is a nightmare, especially if you have a lot of luggage.

Take the private shuttle to the pier and save yourself shlepping luggage and lost time. Last October, we took a private shuttle from our Rome hotel to the pier and was so happy to do so. Our driver picked us up around 10:30 a.m. from our hotel and we were at the pier at about noon. He even did a little tour of Rome on the way. Our bags were taken by the staff at the pier and we were free to board the ship.

Sheila

Four of us can arrange a ride for 40 euros to airport (tip included) through our hotel...For 10 Euros each and a little out-of-the way hassle - we can get to the pier with Azamara. Note this is about the same price it would cost to "train" it to Civitavecchia - however, it would involve getting luggage on and off train, and walking the few km. from train station to pier. By using the Azamara transfer, we really only have to wheel our luggage to their bus- some can stay with luggage at designated area, and 1 or 2 go off and find the Azamara rep, tick off names, and find location of busses and come back to meeting place and off we go! Eliminates a lot of back and forth walking

Just be aware that those 40 E rides are usually in a smaller Mercades limo which CAN hold 4 PEOPLE but their luggage...NO WAY. We learned this from Oceania's forum...we paid for trasfer from airport to hotel, and it was just big enough for our luggage (4 pieces) If they can guarantee a van then it's a good price. Some on the other forum actually, at the point of departure, had to pay for an extra cab just for the luggage!!

We have always had 8 to 10 people for the ride. We just get together with people from the roll call.

We have always had a large and comfortable shuttle bus. It is a actually a pleasant drive/ride as you get to see some farmland, and vineyards. :)

We've gotten together 8 from the roll call, and will be reserving Rome Shuttle Limousine - 4 of us are at one hotel, and there is a 10euro surcharge to pick up from 2 locations near the Station and Coliseum, so it will work out well!

thanks for all your advice

Archived