Question about sea pass charges

This may be a little confusing, but we have two cabins booked... one in my and my younger son's name and one in my husband and older son's name. I remember that the charges are printed out per cabin... but we intend to switch cabins once onboard.. putting the sons together. The LA booked us this way so we would be able to use another coupon discount. My question is.. can individual passengers put up an amount of money on their card in cash or can they use a debit card for this? We also have OBC per cabin which will go toward gratuities. Would it be better to see if we can just change the cabins before we board to avoid confusion? I would ask our TA but she doesn't seem to know as much as I do about the cruise experience. (I think this will be the last time we use her unless she comes up with a great OBC which I doubt). My sons do not have a credit card:D . Thanks for any advise, ideas or opinions!

This is what I did with 2 cabins in April.

Give on credit card and allow everyone to use it on board.The other PAX will sign on check in.

We had OBC on both cabins and that was then posted on the cabin with the credit card.

You will get one bill the last day off cruise.

You will not be able to change cabins before the cruise, an adult needs to be booked into each cabin. Once you are onboard, you can have the keys changed out, or just ask for extra keys for each stateroom. It really doesn't matter which charges go where on your seapass accounts, assuming you are paying any charges your kids make.

You can put cash on each account if you wish, I'm not completely sure about the debit card, if it were me I'd make sure my bank would allow that much of a charge to the debit on one day. If you pay cash, you will have to go there the last morning to settle your account, I think they issue a check if you have cash remaining.

One way we've learned to budget a little better on a cruise is to use travelers checks. A little old fashioned to some, but it works well for us, our credit union does not charge us for the TC's and we are there once a week anyway, so it's not an extra hassle for us. We check in using a credit card, then pay it down the last day with the checks. If we make any charges the final evening, we let it ride on the CC so we don't have to return to the desk. We keep tabs on our spending all week so we don't go overboard with spending. It works for us because we just don't care to have a bill arrive a month later for a bunch of onboard charges.

When you check in, tell them who will be in which cabin--they truly do NOT care who sleeps where! You can tell the clerk how each person will be paying at that time. No big deal. That way, you don't have to make an extra stop somewhere else to get extra keys, and do some kind of weird switching thing.

(The only reason they want an "adult" in each room is to make sure there ARE adults on the cruise--they don't want someone booking a bunch of underage folks on a cruise without adult supervision. Once you are on the ship, anything goes, as far as sleeping arrangements!)

Thanks. The sons are 20 and 21 so the adult thing isn't really an issue. I just want them to pay for their own incidental charges. I guess I will put all charges on one card and then allow them to pay their part before the end of the cruise. The older one will pay for any alcohol he purchases and both of them for any smoothies, souveniers or ice cream. Maybe I should hold their money for them like I did when they were little:D . So when we check in at the pier we can have our cards with the appropriate cabin number on them?

Here is what I would do. On the online check in, set up each person separately. Input your information with credit card. Input your younger son's info as cash account. Input your husband's info with credit card, and input older son's info as cash account. Or if your son's have a credit card they can use that. You will then need to print out four separate set sail passes. Then after boarding go to Guest relations and ask that your son's be put in the same cabin. If they set their accounts up as a cash account, they will need to put down a cash deposit. That way they are responsible for their own charges.

Archived