Southwest airlines????

crazycruzer68

But I had no problem with SW at all (other than all the screaming kids, and that happens flying in and out of Orlando).

Speaking of screaming kids: we both now use noise-cancelling headphones on all our flights. You'd be amazed at the stress reduction! They have them for about $75 at Bestbuy now. Worth the investment.

I hope this is the appropriate thread to post this question....if not, my apologies.

What is your (anyone's) experience with Southwest flying into/out of LAX? I'm trying to arrange transportation to/from the port and would like a little info to help me make a good choice on times. Thanks!

I hope this is the appropriate thread to post this question....if not, my apologies.

What is your (anyone's) experience with Southwest flying into/out of LAX? I'm trying to arrange transportation to/from the port and would like a little info to help me make a good choice on times. Thanks!

Other than TBIT (the Bradley International terminal), Terminal 1, where both SW and US Air depart from, is probably the most congested, confused terminal at LAX. Allow PLENTY of time both getting from the port and also in the airport. Security can be an absolute nightmare in Terminal 1.

Other than TBIT (the Bradley International terminal), Terminal 1, where both SW and US Air depart from, is probably the most congested, confused terminal at LAX. Allow PLENTY of time both getting from the port and also in the airport. Security can be an absolute nightmare in Terminal 1.

Whew... our United flight to and from LAX is terminal 7 :)

I just flew SW in and out of LAX in mid-May 2008. I didn't notice anything all that bad with it.

We were concerned at first when the security line was outside the building, but actually were through security within 15 - 20 minutes. Coming back in we had our bags and were off to the parking garage within 30 minutes of landing.

The worst was the congestion OUTSIDE the terminal.

Gumballz: allow 1.5 hours before your flight on SW to get through check-in with your luggage, security, and to get to your gate in plenty of time.

Allow 45 minutes after you arrive to get off the plane, get your luggage, and be outside looking for your shuttle or transportation. The curb nearest the building is for private passenger pick-up; the outer curb is for the hotel, car rental and other shuttles.

I always fly SW whenever I can, and I just booked a roundtrip to Denver for $179 for the beginning of August.

We now take SWA on our annual winter Vegas vacation, chiefly because they have a non-stop direct from MHT. No longer do we have to circle Chicago 6 or 8 times to land for our connecting flight. No more visits to Cleveland or little bus trips across the Cincinnatti tarmac in the winter.

Steve

I love SW and do not want to fly any other airline. I do have tickets for our cruise in September at the same price I have paid in previous years. However we need tickets for December and SW tickets are 3x's the fare I am used to paying for the same time frame. Wow, don't know what we are going to do, should have booked AirTran 2 months ago, but I waited to be loyal to SW. Now Airtran tickets have jumped.

However we need tickets for December and SW tickets are 3x's the fare I am used to paying for the same time frame. Wow, don't know what we are going to do, should have booked AirTran 2 months ago, but I waited to be loyal to SW. Now Airtran tickets have jumped.

Hopefully, what you are going to do is now know that Southwest doesn't have the cheapest tickets, and that you should buy when the price is right. WN plays the revenue yield game with the best of them, and is using years of brand image to maximize their revenues. It's up to you to protect yourself and recognize the price of your "loyalty".

They are consistently on time or "gasp" actually early in most cases (like my two flights recently)! The flight crew act as though they truly love their jobs...again another "gasp", the gate folks are courteous and friendly and...."gasp" actually helpful!:D

Flew to Phoenix from Buffalo just a few weeks ago...4 snacks offered and told to "take as many of all of these as you want"! Two beverage services and smiles all around.

Maybe things will change but ever since S. W. began service from Buffalo, their planes are full and my choice. I've watched how carefully they assist handicapped folks and the parents flying with little ones. Love everything about them. Obviously the staff are well trained in the art of customer service...with a smile!

Ruth

They are consistently on time or "gasp" actually early in most cases (like my two flights recently)! The flight crew act as though they truly love their jobs...again another "gasp", the gate folks are courteous and friendly and...."gasp" actually helpful!:D

Flew to Phoenix from Buffalo just a few weeks ago...4 snacks offered and told to "take as many of all of these as you want"! Two beverage services and smiles all around.

Maybe things will change but ever since S. W. began service from Buffalo, their planes are full and my choice. I've watched how carefully they assist handicapped folks and the parents flying with little ones. Love everything about them. Obviously the staff are well trained in the art of customer service...with a smile!

Ruth

I agree. I think it's because the OWN the airline! It's a good business model: makes the employees motivated.

I just flew SW in and out of LAX in mid-May 2008. I didn't notice anything all that bad with it.

I flew from RI via Las Vegas to LAX on SWA in October 07, for my Vision of the Seas cruise, with my son & his girlfriend. I do recall a VERY long security line (and a fairly clueless TSA employee, but that's a whole 'nother story), but our experience with SWA was very positive. I love their flight attendants - they're the only ones I've encountered recently who really seem to be enjoying their job!

I agree. I think it's because the OWN the airline! It's a good business model: makes the employees motivated.

Not sure where you got your information....LUV is a publicly traded company on the NYSE.

As for employee ownership, that was tried at United with their ESOP. Basically, it pitted one labor group against another. Disastrous results that put UA into a tailspin that it's still fighting.

Southwest has quite an extensive search for flight attendants and other employees that fit into their model. Always looking for the individuals who have a positive outlook. It works. The airline is also known to do extensive team building exercises in their training. It is in the cultural dna of the airline to be positive to each other and to the flying public. I hope the airline can maintain this attitude as they continue to expand.

They are consistently on time or "gasp" actually early in most cases (like my two flights recently)! The flight crew act as though they truly love their jobs...again another "gasp", the gate folks are courteous and friendly and...."gasp" actually helpful!

You might want to either quit smoking or get your lungs checked.

;)

I have not exactly read thru this whole thread but I will say I LOVE Southwest:) I think they are wonderful and have never ever had a problem with them. I fly on them at least 5 times a year.

I know it was mentioned they are about the only ariline that does not and probably Will NOT charge for luggage but the other good thingwith Southwest is they do NOT just Cancel a flight. Now there could be a plane coming in late from another airport or a mechanicial but what they do because all their planes are the same they just take the next plane coming in and your flight gets it and then they do the trickle down by swaping air crafts till they get caught up. There for no canceled flights, yes you may have up to a 2 hour delay but you still get there the same day.

Plus it has been nentioned they do have some of the friendliest crew of any airline I have flown.

I currently have a few flights booked with them and I even am flying home free from FLL in December using my Rapid Rewards, now if they would have had a Red Eye I would have been flying round trip with them.

I know it was mentioned they are about the only ariline that does not and probably Will NOT charge for luggage but the other good thingwith Southwest is they do NOT just Cancel a flight. Now there could be a plane coming in late from another airport or a mechanicial but what they do because all their planes are the same they just take the next plane coming in and your flight gets it and then they do the trickle down by swaping air crafts till they get caught up. There for no canceled flights, yes you may have up to a 2 hour delay but you still get there the same day.

Simply incorrect. Your "explanation" completely ignores issues of both aircraft and crew scheduling, as well as the associated maintenance that goes with proper aircraft positioning.

Yes, they may "swap" aircraft - all airlines do that when it's the best solution to a problem. However, doing so causes other problems, so it's not the SOP. And to make it a rolling replacement compounds the issue from one aircraft to many. To believe that WN has "no canceled flights" is drinking the Canyon Blue Kool-Aid by the barrel.

We almost got stuck in MHT one snowy winter's day. SWA's pilot found a window of opportunity & we got the word we were leaving ten minutes EARLY. Gotta LUV a pilot like that.

Steve

We almost got stuck in MHT one snowy winter's day. SWA's pilot found a window of opportunity & we got the word we were leaving ten minutes EARLY. Gotta LUV a pilot like that.

Steve

It really is up to the ATC to let the plane take off or not in inclement weather. Every pilot would do the same when there is a window to fly out of a hazzard weather conditions. Unfortunately, it is not always successful.

The horrandous incidents of JetBlue's planes stuck at JFK for over 10, 12 hours on the runway - largely was due to JetBlue hoped to catch that precious 10 minute window should the weather conditions improved so they could take off. Alas, that never happened. According to the testimony given to the Congress hearing, JetBlue officials said, the windows were opened and closed so rapidly that they could not decide whether they should return back to the gate or stay on the runway... Of course, they admitted that the more prudent thing to do was to cancel all flights like all other airlines at JFK did on that day.

nho9504, You are right. Another time we heard of winter storms & called my brother back in MHT. He called us back to tell us flights were cancelled the next day, & we were able to reschedule for a day later.

Of course, it's no fun to get back @ 1:30am and get up at 5 for work, but you can't blame SWA for that.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
It varies airport to airport and how many fueling options there are, but it is higher.

SBA jet A prices are $7.87 a gallon

LAX is $7.83

SFO is $7.85

MIA is anywhere from $5.30 to $8.43

I got my info from www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html

Yesterday, USA Today stated in an article: On the spot market, jet fuel sold at an average price of $3.95 a gallon for the week ended Friday. Would anyone know why this value is so much lower than the values reported by airnav?

On our recent trip from Arizona to Buffalo, a flight that was scheduled to leave from our gate before ours developed some mechanical problem. The gate attendent made frequent announcements to the effect that another plan was pulled out of the hanger, being fueled and would be ready in a very short time and would everyone move to the new gate.

These announcements were repeated as folks arrived at our gate thinking they were taking off from it. No one was terribly upset as they were given these frequent updates and the fueled plane was ready to go with a small delay.

I believe that informing the waiting public with constant reassurances that they will not be horribly late was the way to go and few if any were expressing annoyance. We were just waiting for the gate to clear so we could get seats near our numbered boarding area.

I firmly believe that S.W. does all it can to reassure its travelers that they are doing the best they can to see that people aren't too inconvenienced. So important. It's excellent customer service. And when calling S.W. for information and booking flights, the customer services folks are top notch...speak English and are knowledgeable!!!

I book my boss on S.W. whenever he flies one of their routes...in fact he prefers them to anyone else!

Yesterday, USA Today stated in an article: On the spot market, jet fuel sold at an average price of $3.95 a gallon for the week ended Friday. Would anyone know why this value is so much lower than the values reported by airnav?

The same reason the national gas average for regular fuel is $4.01 while us here in California are still paying well over $4.50. But more so, those are private companies and if you were a pilot looking to fill up that's what you would be paying. If you have a long term agreement for servicing like major airlines would, I am sure they are going to give you a better deal and that's what is getting reported.

Archived