a baby in the swimming pool?

This topic could be as "hot" as the smoking topic! Just as smokers want to defend their rights to smoke, apparently mothers want to defend their baby's rights to swim in pools with diapers. Why can't we all just get along?

It shouldn't cause a firestorm. No diapers are permitted in the pools onboard ship -- not swim diapers or regular ones (children's or adult's).

I've never gave a thought to adult diapers. Ugh, something else to be paranoid about.:eek:

No, if the rule is NO DIAPERS, then you did not follow the rules.

It does not say NO DIAPERS, EXCEPT FOR SWIM DIAPERS. Nor does it say NO DIAPERS, EXCEPT FOR kansaslittleone.

It says NO DIAPERS.

RuthC - kansaslittleone DID follow the rules. She states that they DID NOT test the waters with their baby in swim diapers. ;)

It was Kates Mom (page 2) that went against the rules, and where the crew thought the baby was adorable. I am sure the baby was, and why the crew was having such a fit over her and not enforcing the rules. Most of the crew have young children themselves and any opportunity to see a young child just thrills them to death.:( Of course they are not going to throw a baby out of the pool. :rolleyes:

I agree, no diapers in the pool and hot tub. I will also go one step further and ban seniors with depends. Nothing worse then seeing an older couple with adult diapers oozing out of their swim wear. They wear them for a reason just as toddlers do !

RuthC - kansaslittleone DID follow the rules. She states that they DID NOT test the waters with their baby in swim diapers. ;)

It was Kates Mom (page 2) that went against the rules, and where the crew thought the baby was adorable. I am sure the baby was, and why the crew was having such a fit over her and not enforcing the rules. Most of the crew have young children themselves and any opportunity to see a young child just thrills them to death.:( Of course they are not going to throw a baby out of the pool. :rolleyes:

Thank you so much for correcting me, Sea Island Lady! I'm so embarrassed. :o

Please, kansaslittleone, forgive me for getting my cast of characters mixed up. I'm terribly sorry. :o

And thank you for following these rules. :)

I saw a mother with her baby (wearing diapers) immersed in the hot tub for a long period of time. I was freaking out for that baby:eek: ! I don't have children but I do have common sense. Would staff say anything? Aside from the diaper issue I have my own issues with public pools & hot tubs-I've turned into a major germaphobe(despite high levels of chemicals).

What color pink means the baby's done cooking? No IQ test required to be a parent.

I quit the hot tubs years ago after all the kiddos would jump in; raise your hands above the head, get out as quick as possible. Don't want to be accused of "touching". The DW never went in.

We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... "how cute she was...."/QUOTE]

What about causing unintended problems to others? Great..."cute".... I seem to recall that urine is sterile at first?

Are some parents so stupid and uneducated that they really need someone to post a sign with a rule on it? Can't they think for themselves what is right and wrong?

No offense taken Sea Island Lady. I admit, I don't like the rule, don't agree with the rule, yada, yada, yada...but I still follow them as I need to. My grandparents who took us this time and again next spring would kill me if I didn't follow this rule (after all it's one of their condo's stupid pool rules too). So we'll suffice for now and have to figure out how to make the dress code work with an inflatable pool in the main dining room...guess that's another post!

The family board here at Cruise Critic discusses this from time to time, and many parents choose to bring a small blow up pool from home for a diapered baby. It will fit between 2 adult lounge chairs, and can be filled with a little water from the main pool for the baby to splash in, then drained into the poolside drains.

Um, where do you think that baby pool water, poured down the "pool-side drains", goes to? The ocean? It's not finding Nemo. :D Likely it's recirculating right back into the pool system. So if the purpose is to keep a diapered baby out of pool water, this won't do it.

And a pool that is kept to high standards in terms of being chemically treated, is just as safe as your very own bathtub.

But if Baby (or Grandma) has an accident in the tub, you're still gonna scrub it out really well. And you've only inconvenienced yourself and your family for a short period. If either does the same in a public pool or hot tub, the same super cleansing must be performed & everyone who has access to the facility is unable to use it for the 2 day shock period.

I seriously doubt diapered babies are permitted there.

Maybe someone knows different but can it possibly be safe for a baby?[

....or are you referring to adults?/B]

Kansaslittleone: Just wondering, if you have a balcony? I have heard of people using kiddie pools on their balconies, would you consider this? I really do not feel that the rule is "stupid". I would no more want someone with any kind of diapers in the pool, than I would want someone smoking a cigar next to me at dinner. Since I am happy they enforce the no smoking in the dining room rule, I certainly hope they enforce the "No diapers in the pool rule". I would guess you would not want your little one exposed to smoke and do not find that rule "stupid" so please comply with the diaper rule for everyones sake.

Does HAL use fresh or sea water in their pools? Sorry for the question, but I'm not familiar with them yet. I now RC uses sea water in their pools and fresh water (but excessively chloriniated!!!) for the hot tubs. I always thought their no diapers rule was due to the sea water in the pool not being chemically treated like fresh water. I've been on a couple cruises where the main pool had to be shut down for a day or two due to fecal contamination. When that happens, the children are allowed to use the adult pool. Is that also the case on HAL (assuming they have separate adult and main pools)?

Lets get to the bottom line. No pre-potty trained kiddo even knows what a swimming pool is, nor would they remember if they went into the pool or hot tub. They don't even know what a cruise is nor would they remember when they are older "Hey, I remember going on a cruise when I was 18 months old and I didn't get to go into the pool".

So the pool thing with the kiddo in diapers is simply a "parent" thing. "Look how cute my bundle of joy is in those little water wings and those swimmies with big bird on them."

Yes the rules are stupid, because people are apparently not smart enough to understand the consequences of their actions and they should know better in the first place. We shouldn't need "stupid" rules in place of common sense.

• Administrators
Um, where do you think that baby pool water, poured down the "pool-side drains", goes to? The ocean? It's not finding Nemo. :D Likely it's recirculating right back into the pool system. So if the purpose is to keep a diapered baby out of pool water, this won't do it.

I would think that surely it goes wherever the water they use to wash down the deck goes.... such as into the ship's water treatment tank. I sincerely doubt it goes right back into the pool -- you wouldn't put gray water into a swimming pool and that's basically what drain water is, isn't it? People spill drinks, etc. on the deck and all that is washed down the drain -- I could be wrong, but I'm really having trouble picturing a pool system that feeds untreated wash/drain water directly back into the pool. Anyone know for sure?

Lets get to the bottom line. No pre-potty trained kiddo even knows what a swimming pool is, nor would they remember if they went into the pool or hot tub. They don't even know what a cruise is nor would they remember when they are older "Hey, I remember going on a cruise when I was 18 months old and I didn't get to go into the pool".

So the pool thing with the kiddo in diapers is simply a "parent" thing. "Look how cute my bundle of joy is in those little water wings and those swimmies with big bird on them."

Yes the rules are stupid, because people are apparently not smart enough to understand the consequences of their actions and they should know better in the first place. We shouldn't need "stupid" rules in place of common sense.

Very well stated -- and excellent points.

No offense taken Sea Island Lady. I admit, I don't like the rule, don't agree with the rule, yada, yada, yada...but I still follow them as I need to. My grandparents who took us this time and again next spring would kill me if I didn't follow this rule (after all it's one of their condo's stupid pool rules too). So we'll suffice for now and have to figure out how to make the dress code work with an inflatable pool in the main dining room...guess that's another post!

That wasn't me, it was RuthC. :o

Are the rules strictly enforced with no exceptions in the t-spa pool?

Yes, you have to buy an expensive pass to use the T-Spa and only children over age 16 (I think )are allowed in the facility. In order to gain entrance each time you visit, you have to check-in at the desk and leave your cabin key. In return you get a pass that opens the door.

We bought three 10 day passes. It was $150 for the first person and $100 each for the second and third passengers. You can pay by the day, but if you think you will use the spa more than a few of times, the pass makes more sense.

I did get tired of the spa after the first few visits, and only went to get my money worth. We ended up not getting to use the heat lounges, towards the end of the cruise, because they were all occupied by the same sleeping passengers that stayed close to an hour.:mad:

Here is what I learned from all of this:

No diapers of any kind!

I also learned that diapers are not limited to babies. Age, gender or belief does not come into play on that rule.

And so the bottom line REAL problem is:

It is going to be much much easier to keep a diapered infant out of the pool but breaking the news to Grandma or Grandpa is not going to be so simple. My suggestion is that if either Grams cause a scene they be put into a timeout. Better yet, just report your Grandma or Grandpa anonymously and run! ;)

We took our daughter into the pool on Saturday afternoon and had no problems.... "how cute she was...."/QUOTE]

What about causing unintended problems to others? Great..."cute".... I seem to recall that urine is sterile at first?

Are some parents so stupid and uneducated that they really need someone to post a sign with a rule on it? Can't they think for themselves what is right and wrong?

I think you owe me an apology for calling me stupid!!!!!!!

I dislike government regulation most of the time....but perhaps if CDC included pool sanitation in their inspections and ship scores, the cruise lines would get better at establishing and enforcing rules. Samples of pool water would do the trick. Then it's "objectives" based instead of dictating "how to" or needing inspectors to check enforcement of the rules.

I believe the posted rules address (1) diapers and (2) non-potty-trained individuals.

kansaslittleone: I would like to apologize to you for this post of miine. Indeed, you did follow the rules as posted and I wasn't thinking clearly when I made the above statement. My bad ... very sorry!

I think you owe me an apology for calling me stupid!!!!!!!

I didn't call you specifically "stupid" I said some parents apparently are stupid, hence the need for posted rules..

Look up the definition of stupid : "acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c: lacking intelligence or reason "

Don't call the rules "stupid"; they are there because some people apparently are. Being "cute" confirms my later post that a baby in the pool is for the enjoyment of the parents, not the kiddo.

Archived