Hotels in San Francisco

CruisinFools

Hi! We live in Southern California and will be taking an Alaskan cruise out of San Francisco. Amtrak sounds great, but we would have to take a taxi to get a bus that will take us to Bakersfield where we can catch the train. Once in the Bay Area, we would have to take another bus from Emeryville to the cruise terminal in San Francisco. Whew! However, this will be only $180 RT for two (w/AAA discount). I figured that, if we drove up, it would probably cost us about the same $180 in gas (for a round trip drive). We'd probably rent a car, rather than taking our own, so as to avoid parking costs in San Fran, however, then we'll have the cost of the rental car, and possible drop off fees. I'm beginning to think of driving ourselves, finding a hotel (near the cruise terminal) that will allow us to park for free while we're on our (10 day). Any advice? Thanks!!!

Many years ago we lived in Sacto and flew out of SFO on an early morning flight. We stayed the night before in one of the hotels near the airport and they allowed us to keep our car there for the duration of our trip. You can probably still find that kind of deal near the airport, then just use a taxi or public transit on the day of your cruise.

Another option: Rent a car in SoCal and drop it off in SF. I'm sure there are rental car places in some of the major hotels. You really don't want to be driving in SF anyway, let alone paying for long-term parking there (or even overnight parking if you don't have to). Then do that again in reverse on your return trip home.

It probably would cheaper to fly.

I definately would not want to pay for parking in a hotel area.

My brother paid to park at the Pier in San Francisco for a Mexican Riveria Cruise about 3 years ago I think he paid in the ball park between 10-15

a day.

Are you planning on touring San Francisco When you are here?

I had some friends who flew into to San Francisco early for an event.

They came early to do site seeing. I picked them up at the Airport

and They Stayed at a Place called Nob Hill Inn. It was close to the

Cable Car Line so access to allot of things was easy for them. They stayed there a couple of days and than I went and picked them up.

There is not an elevator in this Hotel. It is an old Victorian Style Place but it was very Charming inside. It is only a few miles from the pier so you could get a cab. There is not room for a car there. If you flew you could take a cab or Super Shuttle.

I hope this information helps!

Gail

Archived