Statendam questions

Marie321

My DH and I have been on the Vista class ships the Westerdam and the Oosterdam. We will be cruising on the Statendam over the holidays.

Does the Statendam have a promanade that encircles the ship like the vista class ships do? I cannot tell from the ship deck drawings.

Any great secrets I should know about the Statendam?

My DH and I have been on the Vista class ships the Westerdam and the Oosterdam. We will be cruising on the Statendam over the holidays.

Does the Statendam have a promanade that encircles the ship like the vista class ships do? I cannot tell from the ship deck drawings.

If you look at the deck plan for the lower promenade, you will see what you are asking for. The sports deck also offers an extensive area (not the complete deck) for observation and wandering.

I can't help you much with the specifics as I'm booked for the first time on the Statendam. But I have been on the Maasdam recently (a sister) and found it quite comfortable with everything just a bit closer than on larger ships. Having fewer people aboard has some advantages when porting, disembarking, etc.

The Staendam does not have any elevators in the middle of the ship like the R and S class ships.

Also if you are on the lower level of the dining room, you will need to go all the way to the aft elevators to go down to the lower level of the dining room.

The Pinao Bar there is GREAT!!

The Staendam does not have any elevators in the middle of the ship like the R and S class ships.

Also if you are on the lower level of the dining room, you will need to go all the way to the aft elevators to go down to the lower level of the dining room.

Are you saying there are no stairs either? We try and take the stairs as much as possible.

Are you saying there are no stairs either? We try and take the stairs as much as possible.

What KK is saying is that there is no mid-ship access to different decks.

There are two sets of elevator banks/staircases---forward and aft. On the other classes of ships there's also a third set of each at mid-ship. On the S-class ships it's possible to get to mid-ship on Promenade Deck, and reach a deadend. You have to double back to change levels.

If you dine on the lower level of the dining room you have to approach from another deck, then head to the lower level via the aft staircase/elevators.

The Statendam is a very nice ship - you'll notice differences between the larger Vista class ships & the smaller S-Class, but nothing that detracts from the overall experience.

I have a photo-tour of the Statendam taken on a lunch/tour last year if you're curious to see the ship:

http://homepage.mac.com/atomicaaron/StatendamTour/Menu59.html

The Statendam is a very nice ship - you'll notice differences between the larger Vista class ships & the smaller S-Class, but nothing that detracts from the overall experience.

I have a photo-tour of the Statendam taken on a lunch/tour last year if you're curious to see the ship:

Thanks for the wonderful slide show. Your pictures were just what I was looking for.

Aaron - where is that space that looks like a minature Japanese garden (at the end of your Public rooms 2 section)? We were on the ship for a week last Sep and I never saw that!!

I noticed in your photos what appears to be a covered pool... you call it the mid ship pool. what deck is that pool on? I can't seem to find it on the deck plans.

thanks

mikjr - the covered pool, or mid-ship pool, is on the Lido Deck (deck 8). It appears on the deck plan as "Lido Pool". Great in hot weather & cold!

John - the miniature Japanese garden was just before the entrance to the main show lounge on Deck 4, on the starboard side, I believe. It was almost tucked away under the staircase that takes you to the upper level of the theatre. I almost missed it myself and snapped the shot as we were leaving!

Marie321 & magictam, I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

John - the miniature Japanese garden was just before the entrance to the main show lounge on Deck 4, on the starboard side, I believe. It was almost tucked away under the staircase that takes you to the upper level of the theatre. I almost missed it myself and snapped the shot as we were leaving!
I'll be darned! I MUST have walked by it sometime!! I'll have to ask my DW tomorrow if she remembers it! Thanks. :)

In addition to the sports deck - yes, there's a promenade deck (lower promenade) that goes around the entire ship.

Lydia

Archived