freestyle didn't work for us.

delondin

We have just returned from 2 day cruise on board Jade. Freestyle didn't work for us. At 8.30 we had a 45 minute wait for dinner in main restaurant first night. A 25 minute queue to collect buzzer followed by a further 20 minute wait for it to buzz. We were flexible with table size, there were only two of us but said we would share. Next day tried to book but were told only take 20 percent reservations and as long as we didn't want dinner between 7 and 8 we should be okay. Told best time to come about 6pm, far too early for us. 2nd night also about 8.30 (had to fit around shows, 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30) short queue for buzzer but still had a 45 minute wait. Disembarkation also didn't work. Get off when you like is great unfortunately whole ship wanted to get off same time! Queues on stairs, lifts full up, people coming from all directions joining queue - took 45 minutes to get off. It's a shame because the concept is good just didn't seem to work.

:(

Ouch...sorry that it was that bad for you. I've only sailed NCL once. It was a 15 day cruise and there was only one night that we had a problem (we were usually eating at the same times you like to eat...8-8:30-ish)

I'm booked on another NCL next March. I'll have to see if I was just very lucky OR if you were just very unlucky.

Again, sorry that you were disappointed.

I really believe the one-night and two-night cruises to nowhere are very different from the regular cruises. Knowing how short the cruise is, people try to cram as much as possible into the timeframe. I believe that's why you encountered such long waits. I've been on 7 Freestyle cruises and I've only had to wait to be seated at dinner twice - both times for only 5-10 minutes. I don't think it would be fair to generalize and say that your experience is typical. But I will concede that Freestyle is not everybody's cup of tea; I just don't think a one-nighter or two-nighter is the best way to judge it.

I really believe the one-night and two-night cruises to nowhere are very different from the regular cruises. Knowing how short the cruise is, people try to cram as much as possible into the timeframe. I believe that's why you encountered such long waits. I've been on 7 Freestyle cruises and I've only had to wait to be seated at dinner twice - both times for only 5-10 minutes. I don't think it would be fair to generalize and say that your experience is typical. But I will concede that Freestyle is not everybody's cup of tea; I just don't think a one-nighter or two-nighter is the best way to judge it.

I asked the lady in charge of buzzer if this was normal and she said it happens on the longer cruises too. I suggested to waitress on door that if the other restaurants didn't charge perhaps passengers would spread out and she said all restaurants were full. BTW there was no room service available on this cruise which I thought unusual - have been on lots of 2 day cruises and have never known this before, including a 2 day on Gem.

There is no way one can compare a 2 day or even 3 day cruise with a regular one. To me, the weekend cruises are just for those who want to get away and those who like the idea of one happy party time....it makes no difference what line or ship you sail.

As for taking 45 minutes to get off the ship, this certainly isn't the fault of the cruise line that everyone decided to exit at once. Again probably goes back to the 2 night cruise. people were on the ship to have a fun weekend and then wanted to exit and get home to rest before going to work.

Nita

We have just returned from 2 day cruise on board Jade. Freestyle didn't work for us. At 8.30 we had a 45 minute wait for dinner in main restaurant first night. A 25 minute queue to collect buzzer followed by a further 20 minute wait for it to buzz. We were flexible with table size, there were only two of us but said we would share. Next day tried to book but were told only take 20 percent reservations and as long as we didn't want dinner between 7 and 8 we should be okay. Told best time to come about 6pm, far too early for us. 2nd night also about 8.30 (had to fit around shows, 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30) short queue for buzzer but still had a 45 minute wait. Disembarkation also didn't work. Get off when you like is great unfortunately whole ship wanted to get off same time! Queues on stairs, lifts full up, people coming from all directions joining queue - took 45 minutes to get off. It's a shame because the concept is good just didn't seem to work.

I am sooo sorry freestyle didn't work for you. We happen to enjoy it very much, of course we have not been on many two day cruises. You might try one of the other lines that has dinner at the same time.

As far as getting off the ship the longest wait we have ever had on NCL is maybe 15 minutes. You really have to listen to the insructions for disembarkation.

I asked the lady in charge of buzzer if this was normal and she said it happens on the longer cruises too.

It's never happened to us on more than fifty nights on NCL ships, most of them not on ships built for freestyle (i.e., Dream and Majesty). I really hope other readers new to NCL don't come away from this thinking freestyle doesn't work, because it does...really...and it's simply wonderful in the freedom it gives passengers.

Delondin,

I noticed you said you also did one on the Gem. Why is it you didn't have any review of these problems for that one? Just found it curious you based off of this particular cruise.[/quote

Did the maiden 2 day on Gem. Seemed much more slick ( which is why we booked Jade) - lots of VIP's on board.Had 20 minute queue for dinner. Had room service (not on Jade) had minibar (empty fridge on Jade). Don't get me wrong we did have a nice time but system didn't seem to work. Staff confirmed this was not a problem confined to 2 day cruises (perhaps just this ship!?) Unfortunately a lot of people use these 2 days cruises as an example of cruise line (rightly or wrongly) and a few people said that the queueing put them off. We are booked on Jewel next month so will see how that is. Was wondering if taking reservations for main restaurant caused the problem - lots of emply tables waiting for next reservation time.

I asked the lady in charge of buzzer if this was normal and she said it happens on the longer cruises too. I suggested to waitress on door that if the other restaurants didn't charge perhaps passengers would spread out and she said all restaurants were full. BTW there was no room service available on this cruise which I thought unusual - have been on lots of 2 day cruises and have never known this before, including a 2 day on Gem.

That is odd about the room service--we had room service on our Pearl 2-nighter last month (although, we were in a suite, I suppose that could make a difference?). And although it was tough to get reservations at the specialty restaurants, the main dining room had no lines as far as we saw. Wonder what was going on with the Jewel?

Freestyle in effect, without making a reservation in a surcharge or free restaurant, means you are constantly winging it (and sometimes those surcharge restaurants are not available, either). For some people that is fine. I think it would be much more effective if they allowed you to make reservations for the main dining room instead of the long lines and beeper. (I know that large parties are allowed to do this!) This would give the restaurant greeter much more of an idea of what to tell people who are "walk ups." I believe I've read that Princess has the choice of fixed or any time dining, in separate dining rooms. Several other lines are also phasing in a type of freestyle, so we know the concept has merit. But no one likes waiting in a long line.

My own personal experience with freestyle only involved eating in the main dining room 5 times. Two were for breakfast, and I was able to be seated immediately because I went early. One was for lunch, and because I was willing to share, I was seated with others right away. One was at an early dinner and I was alone. There was barely any wait whatsoever. The last dinner time I gave up when I saw the really L O N G line that was not moving (I went twice and never got near the reception area). Having the buffet and the grill is fine, but it is not my idea of cruise food! I was disappointed that I tried early and it didn't work.

We ate in the free Italian restaurant one night. We had a reservation, so there was no wait. One night we wanted just dessert in the Italian restaurant, and went without a reservation, and would have been seated immediately since it was 10 p.m. but they were out of our dessert of choice.

The line for the chocolate buffet was also long and frustrating, but that would be the same on any cruise line.

Disembarkation, even with having picked an hour to leave by choosing a color luggage tag, was still a very long and tedious thing. But that may have had to do with its being in Charleston where it's rather crowded anyway.

There were lots of positives for NCL and freestyle, but the long lines have scared me away. I have canceled one cruise in favor of a table for two at a fixed time, and am sticking with my January reservation to try Dawn with all its possibilities. I know not to judge freestyle by Majesty alone. I also bought a future cruise credit, so will be trying it for the third time in a couple of years. I hope Dawn and whatever I book for New England will have shorter lines!

I agree! I think it's all about 2 days.

We have done 9 cruises with NCL and never had to wait more than 5 min

Exactly correct IMO...dont judge them by this experience...off to Pearl soon Alaska bound and can't wait for freestyle!

Hi,

We are a party of 8 who have booked a 2 nighter on the Jade (11 July) It was such a bargain at approx $50 per Adult and $25 for children for an inside. We have booked as a taster of NCL.

Any tips on the best bet of us not waiting forever in the main dining room? Whats the best way of booking a table? What time does it open/ close? When are the quiet periods?

Did you have a sailaway party?

What time did they allow you to board?

Were the shows good?

Did you need a worldwide adaptor or do the rooms have UK sockets?

Was there a childrens club open?

Thanks for any tips.

Nikki

I've never been on a two nighter... it costs way too much for us to get to a port to only go for two nights! That being said, I'd definitely do it - even with the potential long waits for things.

To the OP: Like others here, I am sorry to hear you had a negative experience. I'm a little confused by your subsequent post, though... It looks like freestyle worked for you once but not twice. :) I hope this latest less than perfect experience won't deter you from enjoying freestyle on a longer cruise... perhaps at a less busy time of year... :) The no room service thing is definitely strange. My daughter would be VERY disappointed.

Desperate Housewife - good deal!! I'm one of those lucky ones who have never experienced a wait for freestyle dining. As I mentioned, though, I've also never been on a two nighter. I think my recommendation would be to eat early or late... since we travel with a child, we're always eating fairly early because she's hungry, then if anyone is hungry later, we take advantage of the other options - Blue Lagoon, buffet if it's still open, room service... I'm sorry, but I can't answer any of your other questions... not really sure I answered this one, really!! I'm sure you'll have fun - for $50 I'd happily wait an hour on a cruise ship for my dining experience; I know I've done it on land more than once and that was just for one meal, not a whole two nights and days! :)

I know it has been said before...don't judge a 1/2 day cruise on NCL with a 7-11 day (or more) cruise. Check out the ship and the food on a 1/2 day cruise...not the service - I'm sure the staff is overwhelmed by everyone wanting to do everything in one or two days!

Everyone on the cruise wants to do it all and all disembark the ship with their carry-ons. The exact reason I would never cruise a 1/2 day cruise;)

Two days is not representative of a cruise. You don't get the whole experience. It's not a "cruise", it a "cattle call". Give a longer cruise a try and I'm sure you would be much more pleased.:)

Hi,

We are a party of 8 who have booked a 2 nighter on the Jade (11 July) It was such a bargain at approx $50 per Adult and $25 for children for an inside. We have booked as a taster of NCL.

(Edit: sorry got the exchange rate the wrong way around. shoud read appox $190 not $50 per adults and half price for the children sharing!!... sorry.)

Any tips on the best bet of us not waiting forever in the main dining room? Whats the best way of booking a table? What time does it open/ close? When are the quiet periods?

Were the shows good?

Thanks for any tips.

Nikki

reposted as no edit button option is showing.

I have just seen the following post from a money saving site where I found the offer so it may be that 2 night cruises as not the best suited for freestyle. I'll go and make my own mind up and report back.

Nikki

The following is copied and not my words...........................

Just got back from this £99 cruise. Very disappointed. The so called Freestyle dining left a lot to be desired. If you wanted to eat before 6pm and after 11pm you could get a table. You have to book your tables within the first hour of getting on to be able to choose the time you want to dine. However, the daily sheet it said there was no need to book unless you were in a large party and wanted to eat together. We opted for the Jasmine Restaurant (oriental food) and the Papa's Italian kitchen. Although the service in the Italian was quite good, the food was very bland. We booked a table last night in the Jasmine for 9pm. We waited for 15 mins to be seated and then another 30 minutes before they took the drinks order. We were presented with a bottle of water which we later found out was chargable. Very crafty considering other tables were being offered jugs of water. The started finally arrived at 10.20pm! All we could hear around us were complaints. The quality of the food was also very poor. We finally left at 11.30pm. As there was a cover charge, we presumed that we would get a better service. On top of the cover charge, you then get charged 15% for service on the total of your bill.

Hi,

Were the shows good?

Thanks for any tips.

Nikki

For a group of 8 I would recommending booking as soon as you board. I think in the atrium or buffet area there were places to do this. I don't know if this was just for the speciality restaurants although I imagine it was all restaurants. Opening times I think were 5 pm till 10 pm. I was told best to come at 6 pm for no wait.

There was a bbq by the pool at about 4 pm which I think was a sort of sailaway party. Free champagne upon embarkation.

We checked in about 12 no queue, and then had about a 45 min wait in embarkation lounge. You are given a coloured card and called. After boarding the restaurants are available but the cabins not ready till 2 pm.

Shows were not that great. They were at 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30, three different shows but repeated in a different order the 2nd night. We went to 7.30 show both nights and theatre was not very full. Popped into the Spinnaker lounge during 8.30 show while waiting for buzzer and was packed so if fancy show in there go bit early. Difficult getting drink once seated in theatre so if you like drink while watching best sort out first.

You need adaptor. I forgot mine - catastrophe! They do not sell them on ship so had to wait for Le Havre cost 19 euros in supermarket, won't forget again.

Sorry don't know about childrens clubs.

Hopefully you won't have the queues we did.

We carried our own luggage on board. Spoke to one couple who waited until 7 pm for theirs so glad we did. When you get on board main restaurant is open - till 2pm (a tip I read on here), much better to go there than the buffet as everyone there at once.

Ship is nice - very bright and clean. If you go to deck 11 right up front past the cabins you can see in the bridge. They close blinds at certain times but when open view is amazing.

So sorry you had problems with the Freestyle dining. We were also on this cruise and even though it was our first experience of not having a set dining time, we were able to get a table for 4 at 7.00pm just by walking up, without reservations, both nights. First night, the Tex-Mex restaurant and the second night, Le Bistro. The food was superb in both.

Also, we disembarked at 8.45am and only had 3 people in front of us.

We usually cruise with Princess and P & O and thought we would try a 2 nighter to get a taste of NCL. We really enjoyed it, loved the sparking wine on embarkation, the only down side was the entertainment. I suppose it is all subjective as two of us (the parents)thought the show was really awful, singers couldn't sing etc., but two (the adult daughters) thought the singers had great voices!

We would definitely try NCL again after this experience.

Did a two nighter on the Dawn in April. This was after a 15 nighter in 2007 from Miami to Greece. Were they different? Yes! Enough so that it bothered me? No! I still had fun. The big difference was those on the two nighter, as someone else said, were trying to fit "everything" into a short span. Spa appointments were hard to get, dinner reservations were hard to get, the lines at the main dining room were longer, the table minimums in the casino were much higher. But all of these things involved me making up my own mind on how I wanted to spend my time and my money. I still was able to sit out on my deck and glance out at the water and sigh! That was the same, and for me it was enough!

For a group of 8 I would recommending booking as soon as you board. I think in the atrium or buffet area there were places to do this. I don't know if this was just for the speciality restaurants although I imagine it was all restaurants. Opening times I think were 5 pm till 10 pm. I was told best to come at 6 pm for no wait.

There was a bbq by the pool at about 4 pm which I think was a sort of sailaway party. Free champagne upon embarkation.

We checked in about 12 no queue, and then had about a 45 min wait in embarkation lounge. You are given a coloured card and called. After boarding the restaurants are available but the cabins not ready till 2 pm.

Shows were not that great. They were at 7.30, 8.30 and 9.30, three different shows but repeated in a different order the 2nd night. We went to 7.30 show both nights and theatre was not very full. Popped into the Spinnaker lounge during 8.30 show while waiting for buzzer and was packed so if fancy show in there go bit early. Difficult getting drink once seated in theatre so if you like drink while watching best sort out first.

You need adaptor. I forgot mine - catastrophe! They do not sell them on ship so had to wait for Le Havre cost 19 euros in supermarket, won't forget again.

Sorry don't know about childrens clubs.

Hopefully you won't have the queues we did.

We carried our own luggage on board. Spoke to one couple who waited until 7 pm for theirs so glad we did. When you get on board main restaurant is open - till 2pm (a tip I read on here), much better to go there than the buffet as everyone there at once.

Ship is nice - very bright and clean. If you go to deck 11 right up front past the cabins you can see in the bridge. They close blinds at certain times but when open view is amazing.

Thanks for the tips. You have been very helpful.

Nikki. x

So sorry you had problems with the Freestyle dining. We were also on this cruise and even though it was our first experience of not having a set dining time, we were able to get a table for 4 at 7.00pm just by walking up, without reservations, both nights. First night, the Tex-Mex restaurant and the second night, Le Bistro. The food was superb in both.

Also, we disembarked at 8.45am and only had 3 people in front of us.

We usually cruise with Princess and P & O and thought we would try a 2 nighter to get a taste of NCL. We really enjoyed it, loved the sparking wine on embarkation, the only down side was the entertainment. I suppose it is all subjective as two of us (the parents)thought the show was really awful, singers couldn't sing etc., but two (the adult daughters) thought the singers had great voices!

We would definitely try NCL again after this experience.

It's amazing how 2 people can be on the same cruise and have different service. I believe this was down to luck. It's all about service and who you get in any walk of life and certainly on any cruise line. Thank godness 99% of service is normally of a very high standard on most cruise lines.

Nikki. x

Archived