freestyle didn't work for us.

delondin

'Proper?' What in blazes is that supposed to mean? "Italian" is certainly more "proper" as a dinner option than any so-called cuisine originating in the UK.

I believe the phrase "proper" has a different connotation in England vs. America (much like the term "scheme" is viewed negatively in the States, but just means "plan" [without any sense of pejorative association] in England). So, to translate, I believe what GoUK was saying is that he "wouldn't opt to pay for a formal or sit-down (i.e., "proper") Italian meal unless it was especially good."

I'm fairly certain, however, that the use of "proper" did not imply that Italian was somehow a sub-standard or lesser cuisine.

As an aside, English cuisine can be rather good. Personally, I'm a big fan of the pasty (though a pasty does not a "proper" dinner make). Instead for a "proper" (sit-down) English meal, Porter's in Covent Garden (London) is excellent and fairly affordable (by standards of London prices and considering the current exchange rate for dollars vs. pounds).

I believe the phrase "proper" has a different connotation in England vs. America (much like the term "scheme" is viewed negatively in the States, but just means "plan" [without any sense of pejorative association] in England). So, to translate, I believe what GoUK was saying is that he "wouldn't opt to pay for a formal or sit-down (i.e., "proper") Italian meal unless it was especially good."

I'm fairly certain, however, that the use of "proper" did not imply that Italian was somehow a sub-standard or lesser cuisine.

As an aside, English cuisine can be rather good. Personally, I'm a big fan of the pasty (though a pasty does not a "proper" dinner make). Instead for a "proper" (sit-down) English meal, Porter's in Covent Garden (London) is excellent and fairly affordable (by standards of London prices and considering the current exchange rate for dollars vs. pounds).

OK, Paul, fess up - You were my College Professor, weren't you? (MIT-(Mother-In-Training) Class of '62)

Is the correct answer.

Correct. I love Italian food (even the pseudo-italian pizza that various chains deliver to you home) and often cook it at home. That is probably why I don't consider it 'proper' sit down restaurant food. I prefer to order items I cannot or will not cook at home, when out for dinner.

I must be going mad, but I cannot see greywillows original post... However, in response to their disdain for UK food... I could not begin to tell you what UK food is anymore. Our national dish is no longer fish and chips... it's the Indian Curry. In the past decade the food options in the UK (even in the small provincial towns) have expanded massively.

We have eaten at Heston Blumenthal's Fat Duck - now that is an experience. Is it British/UK... no idea! But, it is very, very good (and ever so slightly weird)

To get back on the NCL track - one of the key factors that is drawing me to NCL is the food options. 14 days on RCL and we began to get a little bored of the food. It wasn't bad, far from it. But, after a while you fancy something different. I think this is NCL killer selling point. Yes RCL have boxing rings, climbing walls and the flowrider - none of which I am likely to ever use.

No, my friend. What he wrote was this: "I tend to avoid Italian as a 'proper' dinner option." The surcharge comment followed, as an additional opinion. He meant exactly what I thought he meant. Remember: The Italians taught the French how to cook (see Caterina de Medici). The English never bothered to learn (see pasty)

Originally Posted by greywillow

'Proper?' What in blazes is that supposed to mean? "Italian" is certainly more "proper" as a dinner option than any so-called cuisine originating in the UK.

I find you to be very rude. It has already been explained in detail what was ment. No need to keep being insulting.

The English never bothered to learn (see pasty)

Pasties originated in Cornwall as food for tin miners. They're a pastry which has two compartments, vegetables and meat in one and jam in the other, a two course lunch if you will. The miners wives put their husbands initials in the pastry so the miners didn't get mixed up with which pasty belonged to which miner and they were kept in large ovens at the surface of the pit. Pasties are still eaten today and some bakers in Cornwall still make them the traditional way and are absolutely delicious.

No comment (on my profession or academic affiliations). :)

Understood. Your post just brought back memories. In all seriousness, I could have been your professor (if I were one) but you could never have been mne.

Your comments have added much to this thread. I very much enjoyed your blog.

So, can you now step in with a few words of wisdom regarding the subject at hand. Please leave out the word "proper" as it has caused somewhat of a disturbance. LOL :D :) :D ;)

On subject once again - I still "prefer" and "love" Freestyle.

Perhaps it was not freestyle that didn't work for us but "Jade's" interpretation of "FREESTYLE" on this particular cruise. Having just read this review.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43787

It would seem mine was an experience held by others......

I am still looking forward to "Jewel" 9 August hoping that this was just a blip.

Perhaps it was not freestyle that didn't work for us but "Jade's" interpretation of "FREESTYLE" on this particular cruise. Having just read this review.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43787

It would seem mine was an experience held by others......

I am still looking forward to "Jewel" 9 August hoping that this was just a blip.

Wow, what a review!:eek: Too bad they had such a terrible time.

Good for you for giving NCL another chance.

Hopefully, there will be many redeeming features of your next cruise.

One can always hope!:D :D

One can find this sort of post regarding every cruise line and every ship when researching on these boards. I read them all, and take most of them with a grain of salt. Some surely are legitimate. But, some folks just can't find pleasure unless they are complaining about something. (Not pointing the finger at you by any means - just a statement regarding humankind overall.):D

No, my friend. What he wrote was this: "I tend to avoid Italian as a 'proper' dinner option." The surcharge comment followed, as an additional opinion. He meant exactly what I thought he meant. Remember: The Italians taught the French how to cook (see Caterina de Medici). The English never bothered to learn (see pasty)

Well, since goUK agreed with my assessment, I'm going to hold to my opinion that both my understanding and subsequent analysis were correct. You see, sentences (before or after other sentences) usually have a relationship to one another. When spaced away from other sentences, these are known as a "paragraphs." This generally connotes a related topic / idea. I'm sure you saw some of these while reading about the history of European cuisines. :rolleyes:

In any case, my friend, I'd suggest you stick with "culinary history" and forget about majoring in "rhetorical analysis."

Pasties originated in Cornwall as food for tin miners. They're a pastry which has two compartments, vegetables and meat in one and jam in the other, a two course lunch if you will. The miners wives put their husbands initials in the pastry so the miners didn't get mixed up with which pasty belonged to which miner and they were kept in large ovens at the surface of the pit. Pasties are still eaten today and some bakers in Cornwall still make them the traditional way and are absolutely delicious.

It's true. As an American, I'd always heard the "pasty was nasty." But, I tried them anyway a few years ago, and I think they're simply sublime. I think they've also had something of a "renaissance" (maybe too strong a word?), as it was more difficult to find them in London a few years back but now there are “chain” pasty shops all over the place. I like the West Cornwall Pasty Company (http://www.westcornwallpasty.co.uk/) -- Steak & Stilton, yum! I also think the Cornish Bakehouse (http://www.cornishbakehouse.com/) is pretty good.

I think we need to start a pasty thread! Why not, it worked for hot dogs! :)

I must be going mad, but I cannot see greywillows original post... However, in response to their disdain for UK food... I could not begin to tell you what UK food is anymore. Our national dish is no longer fish and chips... it's the Indian Curry. In the past decade the food options in the UK (even in the small provincial towns) have expanded massively.

That's very true. In fact, NCL promoted "Curry Up" aboard the Jade in the Garden Cafe buffet a good number of evenings. And, curry was usually on the lunch buffet too. This was probably overzealous for most Americans' tastes (not that I'm anti-curry). But, I was glad to see that NCL made the effort nonetheless for our British compatriots.

Understood. Your post just brought back memories. In all seriousness, I could have been your professor (if I were one) but you could never have been mne.

Your comments have added much to this thread. I very much enjoyed your blog.

So, can you now step in with a few words of wisdom regarding the subject at hand. Please leave out the word "proper" as it has caused somewhat of a disturbance. LOL

On subject once again - I still "prefer" and "love" Freestyle.

Yes, for good or bad, I do have a tendency to slip into lecture mode. :o And, for the record, I’m not a college professor… mostly because I think life is more intellectually stimulating outside of the ivory tower of academe. (Now that comment could really require a flame retardant suit on some boards!) :D

I'm glad you liked the blog. It was actually a lot of fun for me to do.

As for the topic at hand, I suppose can understand why some people might "intensely dislike" freestyle cruising. I’m just not one of them. Every cruise on NCL has been a pleasure for us, and I’m sure we’ll sail aboard NCL again in the near future. In my professional life, I’m required to be “social,” which is fine because I generally like my work cohorts (most are both very friendly and uber-smart). However, it runs contrary to my nature. That is to say, I was once told by a wise person that “some people naturally feed off of the energy of others” (e.g., “natural” politicians or salespeople), whereas others have to “expend energy in their efforts to socialize” (e.g., me, myself, and I – as well as my wife). Moreover, as you might have guessed about us, we like having a diversity of choices and the flexibility to do “whatever.” Given that, NCL fits us like a finely tailored, bespoke suit.

So, yes, I have an intense fondness for NCL's "proper" freestyle cruises. (Opps, I used that word again). :)

Archived