Holland Prinsendam

Howasaur

We are just in the planning stage Amazon Adventure 26 day trip and were wondering what verandah suite would be good or should we get a double outside room with window only. A very good point was mentioned to me and that was with a verandah suite the heat and insects may discourage us from sitting outside. Has anyone sailed on the Prisendam.

This will be our 5th Cruise Two cruises on R.C. and two on Holland

I’ve sailed on the Princendam in both a VB Deluxe Veranda Outside (Alaska) my first veranda and S Deluxe Verandah Suite (Black Sea) thanks to the upgrade fairy. If you can afford it, a veranda is well worth it. It will always give you the opportunity to step out side, check the weather, watch them dock the ship, enjoy the view over the pier building, etc. If the insects are a problem it will only be those few days you are in the Amazon. The rest of the time you’ll be able to fully enjoy sitting out there.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

I always think a veranda worth it if within a person's means. Just to be able to open the door and get fresh air is wonderful. You will use it far more than that I'm sure.

This is great. It's nice to get all the different opinions and options. Now you have given us further food for thought. How was the Prinsendam?

Do you now anything about the verandah staterooms?

Thanks Aunty Pat and sail7seas

This is great. It's nice to get all the different opinions and options. Now you have given us further food for thought. How was the Prinsendam?

Do you now anything about the verandah staterooms?

Thanks Aunty Pat and sail7seas

Here's another perspective. We just returned from 25 nites aboard the Prinsendam, sailing the Gironde Estuary, Kiel Canal & Baltics. This was a very port intensive itinerary, so we selected an Oceanview (Cat E Main) rather than a Verandah. We were very happy - the room was well appointed with a walk-in closet and a very spacious bathroom. The configuration was a pleasant surprise - the layout is different on the Prinsendam than on other HAL ships. The Oceanviews have the sitting area beside the window rather than having the bed under the window. It kinda creates a Verandah setting where you're better able to sit, have a glass of vino & watch the world go by. If you look at the stateroom plans closely, you'll see that the Oceanview rooms are identical to the Verandahs (Cat A thru BC) except of course for the balconies.

Your Amazon itinerary probably lends itself to a Verandah but I thought I'd give you our impressions of an Oceanview. Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Prinsendam.

On an Amazon cruise, the life of the river and the economy of the region is constantly passing, so if you can afford it, I would recommend a balcony. In fact, I would consider a balcony an almost must on an Amazon cruise. We spent many hours on our balcony just watching it all go by. As for insects, those were only a problem at night when they flew to the lights on the ship. We were asked to keep the balcony lights off and the drapes closed at night. Never had a bug problem in the daytime. The insects were beautiful with multiple colors and very large wings. We saw them in the early morning before they left the ship to go back into the cool of the trees. Penny

If cost is an issue, Prinsendam has outside verandah cabins on Upper Promenade deck (9). These are not suites but they do have balconies. I did the Amazon on Veendam in 06 and bugs were not a problem in the Amazon itself...and as others have said mosquitoes usually are out early in the morning and late at night. I didn't encounter any. It can be very hot in the Amazon region but unless your verandah is in the direct sun you should be about as comfortable as you will be later in the Caribbean. Some of the shore excursions ashore can be very sweaty adventures...but well worth it. Who knows how long ships will be able to do this? Some years the Amazon is so shallow the cruises have to be cancelled.

Thank-you for your reply. I have seen photos of many years passed and recent ones and the difference was amazing..( the clear cutting that is occurring.along the shore. I sure hope your wrong about the Amazon being to shallow but we'll have to wait and see. This will be our fifth cruise and the longest.Celbrating many events: Special Birthday ,anniversary and have reached my retirement factor for full benifits. Hah the good life..

If cost is an issue, Prinsendam has outside verandah cabins on Upper Promenade deck (9). These are not suites but they do have balconies. I did the Amazon on Veendam in 06 and bugs were not a problem in the Amazon itself...and as others have said mosquitoes usually are out early in the morning and late at night. I didn't encounter any. It can be very hot in the Amazon region but unless your verandah is in the direct sun you should be about as comfortable as you will be later in the Caribbean. Some of the shore excursions ashore can be very sweaty adventures...but well worth it. Who knows how long ships will be able to do this? Some years the Amazon is so shallow the cruises have to be cancelled.
....The Amazon channel is never less than 100 feet deep. There is not a ship in the world that can not navigate all the way to Manaus.:D

Thank-you for your reply. I have seen photos of many years passed and recent ones and the difference was amazing..( the clear cutting that is occurring.along the shore. I sure hope your wrong about the Amazon being to shallow but we'll have to wait and see. This will be our fifth cruise and the longest.Celbrating many events: Special Birthday ,anniversary and have reached my retirement factor for full benifits. Hah the good life..
:) We did the round trip out of Fort Lauderdale aboard the Prinsendam in 2006 and it was a great cruise. I didn't see even one mosquito personally...Insects were never a problem. Please do not worry about the rivers depth. you will soon enough learn while aboard from the lectures that the Amazon puts more fresh water into the ocean in ONE DAY than the Mississippi does in a MONTH....It carries more fresh water down stream than next 12 combined....You will not see any clear cutting along the river. I think you will find it to be very much different than you expected. Nicer and better. that said, there is as much as a 35 foot differential between high water and low water in the dry seaeson. Go to google Earth and see for yourself. Make sure you see the "Boi Bamba" show in Parintins....It is fabulous. The Prinsendam is our favorite cruise ship and I am sure you will enjoy her. I don't get to be aboard her until January 2, 2009 when we begin our circle South America voyage. Have fun and enjoy what will be a great cruise!:cool: :)

On an Amazon cruise, the life of the river and the economy of the region is constantly passing, so if you can afford it, I would recommend a balcony. In fact, I would consider a balcony an almost must on an Amazon cruise. We spent many hours on our balcony just watching it all go by. As for insects, those were only a problem at night when they flew to the lights on the ship. We were asked to keep the balcony lights off and the drapes closed at night. Never had a bug problem in the daytime. The insects were beautiful with multiple colors and very large wings. We saw them in the early morning before they left the ship to go back into the cool of the trees. Penny
:D Now that's telling it like it is!....I see you fish for flies in Arizona....Since it may come up sometime in Trivia, how many flies do you need to catch to bake a shoo-fly pie?...:) ;)

Hello AWED! We fish WITH flies, not FOR them. Chip is out today giving lessons over at Greer Lodge where he is Director of Flyfishing. At any rate, if I were to make a shoofly pie, I would make sure I would have many of them - they are soooo small, you know. Penny

Hello AWED! We fish WITH flies, not FOR them. Chip is out today giving lessons over at Greer Lodge where he is Director of Flyfishing. At any rate, if I were to make a shoofly pie, I would make sure I would have many of them - they are soooo small, you know. Penny
:D Is it not great to be able to earn your way and do something you obviously enjoy so much....All the best from from this very old angler...:cool:

Archived