HELP...Want to Belize cave-tube but GF is CLAUSTROPHOBIC

tulsadancer

Been reading tons of good reviews about cave-tubbing in Belize. GF is claustrophobic. For instance, a couple years back we tried to do Fantastic Caverns just north of Springfield, Mo. It is large enough that you tour it by riding in a wagon (probably large enought for 20 people) pulled by a Jeep. She thought it would be big enough that she could make it. As soon as we entered the cave opening she started freaking out big time. We had to get off and walk back out the cave opening (they were nice enough to refund our money.....said it happens about one a week).

So we had pretty much ruled out cave-tubing (one 'b' or two?). But a few days ago I talked to a guy who had done it and he said the caves are so large that it shouldn't be a problem.

The GF would like to do it if she thinks she can make it without freaking out.

Can we get some comments about how big (and dark......since they use hats with flashlights) from folks who have done this? Especially anyone who is claustrophobic.

Are you in the caves for a long time or short periods of time?

Thanks

Dale

People can tell you it will be no problem but no one really knows your GF's comfort level. Have you looked at any pictures to get any ideas? Here's one from a tour. IF she would panic, it won't be a matter of easily walking out. More pictures can be found at here.

http://www.greendragonbelize.com/jungleresort/nfpicturepro/displayimage.php?album=19&pos=0

IMG_1755.JPG

There are two sets of caves with a little break in between. They are big caves but they are almost pitch black so the size doesn't matter I guess. I would think it could be a little rough for someone with that condition. The second cave has some light in it which helps but that's toward the end of it. Also, it's a long ride to get to the caves so if you do have a problem, there will be nothing else to do. Maybe if you mentioned this to one of the guides they might be able to lend some assistance. It is a very nice excursion but it's a tough call I think.

Ask her if it helps that the independent tours like Yhony or Major Tom link all their guests together. So she would never be just floating alone.

I don't know about other cruise ships..but the Carnival ship tour does not do this...you are on your own.

From just a couple of the pictures at the link you provided I can easily see that it would be foolish of us to try it. The opening to Fantastic Caverns was so much bigger (and it was well lit up) and she freaked out so no need to ruin a day by chancing cave-tubing.

I did consider getting a new girlfriend but finding one as otherwise as perfect as mine would be difficult so better stick with her and do an alternative excursion.;)

We both want to snorkel and I understand Belize has some great snorkeling...............on the otherhand I've always wanted to see Mayan ruins too................MAN PICKING OUT AN EXCURSION FROM SO MANY GREAT ALTERNATIVES IS FRUSTRATING!!!:confused: Perhaps we better do another cruise to cover all the bases.:D

Anyway thanks for the feedback. She would have done whatever I decided so You probably saved me making a big mistake.

Dale

Ask her if it helps that the independent tours like Yhony or Major Tom link all their guests together. So she would never be just floating alone.

I don't know about other cruise ships..but the Carnival ship tour does not do this...you are on your own.

Thanks for the suggestion but we could all be in a big 'group hug' and she would still have a problem. We better stick to something above ground (or in the water which she doesn't seem to have a problem with). So snorkeling or Mayan ruins it is.

Thanks,

Dale

It sounds like your decision to leave the cave trip alone is a good one. I have been on the cave trip with an independent tour guide where we all linked together and the caves are dark.

We did the Mayan ruins tour of Altun Ha, which is not far from Belize City so there is no long ride there. The package included a trip in a open motorboat down the river where we saw quite a few crocs and other creature. It was enjoyable and made for a great day in Belize. You might want to look into it.

My 28 year-old DH is a bit claustrophobic and we did this last year. She di dnot freak out. More bothersome then the cave itself - which was quite wide and lit in may parts - you have light on your hat - was the crodedness of tubers! She gets more claustrophic in crowds:eek:

If we had it to d again - I would pass on the tubing - BTDT and would opt for 1 2nd round of the Belize zip-line - now that was AWESOME !:D

Have fun!

Leah, RN

I tend to be claustrophobic in some situations. I don't have any problem in the small, inside cabins on the ships and I didn't have any problem at all when cave tubing in May with Major Tom. It was too much fun and too much going on. The caves aren't "close" in anyway. They're big.

My claustrophobia kicks in when I get in a crowd of people, inside, that isn't moving. That's when I start to panic. I hate crowds of humanity. :(

If she is as claustrophobic as it sounds you are wise to stay out of the caves. Imagine her being in the pitch dark knowing that she is in a cave. Is it possible that you both can do something different that day? Maybe she can do the Mayan ruins with a ship sponsor tour while you do the cave tubing? That way you both are doing something you like and we will be together that evening. We have been on plenty of tours where we meet other females who are touring by themselves because their BF, DH, or fiancés is doing something involving water and they prefer to have their feet dry and on land.

My DH went horse-riding in Belize and I stayed on the ship and enjoyed a lovely massage. We met onshore in the early afternoon when his tour group came back.

Perfect for both of us!

Kathy:)

From just a couple of the pictures at the link you provided I can easily see that it would be foolish of us to try it. The opening to Fantastic Caverns was so much bigger (and it was well lit up) and she freaked out so no need to ruin a day by chancing cave-tubing.

I did consider getting a new girlfriend but finding one as otherwise as perfect as mine would be difficult so better stick with her and do an alternative excursion.;)

We both want to snorkel and I understand Belize has some great snorkeling...............on the otherhand I've always wanted to see Mayan ruins too................MAN PICKING OUT AN EXCURSION FROM SO MANY GREAT ALTERNATIVES IS FRUSTRATING!!!:confused: Perhaps we better do another cruise to cover all the bases.:D

Anyway thanks for the feedback. She would have done whatever I decided so You probably saved me making a big mistake.

Dale

Your girlfriend is very lucky to have someone as supportive as you.. and I would definitely say you made the right decision .. I am sure that whatever you decide to to will be well thought out and appropriate for both of you

Have a great trip !!

KLLund beat me to it -- I was going to say how lucky your lady is to have a guy who thinks about her needs, instead of insisting on his. You won't have any trouble finding lots of things you can both enjoy!

If she is as claustrophobic as it sounds you are wise to stay out of the caves. Imagine her being in the pitch dark knowing that she is in a cave. Is it possible that you both can do something different that day? Maybe she can do the Mayan ruins with a ship sponsor tour while you do the cave tubing? That way you both are doing something you like and we will be together that evening. We have been on plenty of tours where we meet other females who are touring by themselves because their BF, DH, or fiancés is doing something involving water and they prefer to have their feet dry and on land.

It was never pitch dark in the caves. Yes, it was dark, but not pitch black. We had our headlamps on the entire time, as did the other groups and the sun was shining brightly. There's even a "hole" in one of the walls that let sunlight in.

I totally disagree with the "she shouldn't do it" opinions. Back when I was younger, I would never, ever have considered doing something like cave tubing. The older I get, the more I realize that I may never have another opportunity.

It was a wonderful experience and something that should not be passed on because of a fear that something may happen.

Your girlfriend is very lucky to have someone as supportive as you.. and I would definitely say you made the right decision .. I am sure that whatever you decide to to will be well thought out and appropriate for both of you

Have a great trip !!

to go ahead and do it with the other people in our group and she will stay on the ship.............. but that is because she doesn't want to disappoint me. Leave her on the ship? I don't think so!! What enjoyment is it if you can't share it with the love of your life?

We both love old historic things So I think the Altun Ha ruins will do very nicely. As long as we don't have to crawl through any tunnels under it she will love it (and so will I:D ).

Thanks,

Dale

It was never pitch dark in the caves. Yes, it was dark, but not pitch black. We had our headlamps on the entire time, as did the other groups and the sun was shining brightly. There's even a "hole" in one of the walls that let sunlight in.

I totally disagree with the "she shouldn't do it" opinions. Back when I was younger, I would never, ever have considered doing something like cave tubing. The older I get, the more I realize that I may never have another opportunity.

It was a wonderful experience and something that should not be passed on because of a fear that something may happen.

And she and I do like trying out new 'thrilling' type activities but she can not even watch a movie with someone crawling through a cave or tunnel without closing her eyes (what was that movie that came out a couple years ago about a group of lady friends who went crawling through a cave and ran into some weird underground creatures?......she couldn't watch it).

Thanks

Archived