would like information for traveling from cozumel to xel-ha

worry wart

Does anyone know if it is possible to do an excursion from the imagination carnival cruise from cozumel? I know they list one to xcaret but not to xel-ha but is it possible to do xel-ha on your own and is there enough time? How long does it take to get there from the ship in Cozumel? Also when does last ferry leave to come back from either place and can you come back at different times throughout the day or does everyone come back at the same time on one ferry ride for the tours?

Does anyone know if it is possible to do an excursion from the imagination carnival cruise from cozumel? I know they list one to xcaret but not to xel-ha but is it possible to do xel-ha on your own and is there enough time? How long does it take to get there from the ship in Cozumel? Also when does last ferry leave to come back from either place and can you come back at different times throughout the day or does everyone come back at the same time on one ferry ride for the tours?

I can't answer your question...sorry :( But, if you can somehow make arrangements to get to xel-ha, do it. The snorkelling is fantastic, the floating bridge is a must do (kind of scary but exciting to walk on), the tube riding is awesome, swimming with dolphins is another great one (alot of fun), the trails and underground water caves are pretty cool too. I could go on and on!

Hope you get to check it out!

I would add one word of caution.

The only time I recommend a ship excursion in Cozumel is when you leave the island.

We were there 5 times in a 12 month period last year and EVERY SINGLE TIME the ship's shore excursion from the mainland was late.

Now we waited on them every time, because it was a ship's excursion...but had it been an independent...they would have been on their own.

You are dealing with questionable transportation. A 45 minute ferry ride one way....interesting roads...etc.

Unless you are ok getting back to the States on your own (which some people are)....I would not chance it.

The times we have been in Coz, we have met people who took the ship's excursion to the Yucatan. They left as soon as we docked and the ship either had to wait for them or they got back just in time. I noticed the last time we were in Coz (March 2008) the ship did not offer any excursions off the island. I believe they have learned their lesson.

As was pointed out the chance of arriving back late is very large. There is the scheduled (?) ferry ride of 45 minutes each way along with the bus ride to whereever you are going. You really are tempting fate.

We own timeshares in Cancun and Playa del Carmen, so I know the area very well (we go to the area at least 2 times a year). XCaret is very close to Playa (just outside the city), which is probably why they have an excursion there. Xel-Ha adds anothre 45 minutes to 1 hour in the car (depending on traffic, weather, etc), ONE WAY just to get there. I would never consider going there off of a cruise that docks in Cozumel, just not enough time to enjoy Xel-Ha.

BTW, the ferry goes back and fourth from Playa and Cozumel about every hour, but it does miss some hours, so if you decide to go to Xcaret on your own (which would be easier to do, as it is so close to Playa), pay close attention to when the ferries go back from Playa. (One time, we forgot to check, and we went to the pier thinking we were catching the ferry, ended up having to wait another hour).

Michelle

Thanks so much everyone! I kind of figured Xel-ha must be further since the cruise ship didn't offer it as an excursion like it does for Xcaret. Maybe we'll try the Xcaret. Is there enough time there to at least feel like you've enjoyed part of the park? As long as you take the excursion through the cruiseline you should be safe getting back in time I guess - if not what is the point of doing Xcaret through the cruiseline instead of on your own? Is there a difference in price? I wouldn't attempt going to Xel-Ha now. Even if not the worry of getting back on time there still doesn't seem enough time to enjoy it. That would better be left for flying to Mexico sometime for vacation. Anyone know what time the last ferry leaves from Xcaret that you can make back to the ship in Cozumel on time? It would have been nice to see the evening show but I know there isn't time for that.

What a neat place to own a time share! There seems like a lot of fun things to do there!

Archived