America's Cup Scheduling Questions- What's the Best Plan?

drcbelle

Hi everyone-

I am trying to make a decision about the excursions on my October Crown Princess cruise. We want to do the regatta sailing either in St. Martin or St. Thomas, with my preference being the America's Cup in St. Martin. The problem is that we also would like to spend some time on Orient Beach, whereas we have both been to St. Thomas before and have nothing else we want to do there, but are happy to spend a port day on the ship for the first time. We will be in St Martin from 10-6. So with that background here are the questions:

1. Although we are less than 120 days out, Princess does not have the shore excursions available for purchase yet. When they do will it have the time that the excursion is going to take place?

2. How long is the trip from the dock to orient beach? What do you think is the shortest block of time that we can have before or after the excursion to get there and back and maybe spend an hour or two at the beach?

3. Does anyone think that either of the excursions are better than the other. I like the idea of the yacht being a true America's cup racing yacht but other than that does anyone have any insight?

4. If anyone has done this excursion what time of the day did you do it? Did you have time to do anything else?

I know this is long so thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any help or advice. Happy Cruising!

drc

When we were on the Caribbean Princess in Dec. there were several times available for the America's cup. Can't remember what they were now, but if you sign up for the earliest time you'd likely have time to go to Orient beach. The America's cup is about 3 hours in length total time. I remember tho, hearing that the traffic getting back to the pier at the end of the day can be congested, so if you do decide to go to Orient Beach you may want to ask around about how much time to allow to get back.

I can only help you a little bit - but, here goes: After much research, we are doing the America's cup on our December Carnival Miracle cruise. Our excursion runs from 9:30-12:30, leaving plenty of beach time/shopping time afterwards, though we will be heading back to the ship to relax. We had the choice of 3 times. I am surprised the excursion isn't up yet - we booked thru the Carnival site back in February for our December sailing. Maybe Princess is still negotiating their excursions. If you call their excursion desk/dept., they may be able to book it for you there. From what I read, it the excursion pickup is a quick walk from the pier where Carnival docks. Don't know about Princess docking area, though.

We did the America's cup challenge in St. Martin in May 2006 and it was our favorite excursion. We were the second group of the day. The crew was very professional; everyone who wanted to particpate got to have a job on the boat. The actual race was very exciting :D .

Afterwards, we had plenty of time to explore (eat lunch, shop, sit on the beach). The island is small enough that I imagine you would be able to get a taxi to Orient Beach and be back in time.

Thank you all for your responses! A couple of follow up questions:

Were you able to pick your times for the excursion or were they assigned to you?

I was thinking of going to Orient beach, but is there another beach closer to the cruise terminal? That would be fine with us too...

Thanks!

We booked our excursion time - wanted the first one (9:30) so we could do something else if we wanted afterwards. (I think we will be in St. Martin till 5, but I may be wrong) We are hoping this excursion lives up to it's reputation - from all we've read, it will!!

We did the America's cup challenge in St. Martin in May 2006 and it was our favorite excursion. We were the second group of the day. The crew was very professional; everyone who wanted to particpate got to have a job on the boat. The actual race was very exciting :D .

Afterwards, we had plenty of time to explore (eat lunch, shop, sit on the beach). The island is small enough that I imagine you would be able to get a taxi to Orient Beach and be back in time.

We've heard so much about this excursion and are interested in giving it a try. Do you have to participate in the actual sailing of the boat or can you just sit back and enjoy al of the fun?

Archived