Balcony v. Mini-Suite on Emerald???

JessInNY

Is it worth the extra money to book a mini-suite? I always book a balcony room, but am thinking of splurging this time -- any comments, any differences that would make it worth the extra money?

Thanks! Have a nice evening..

Jessica

How much difference? I have stayed in both. The differences: the mini suite has a tub in the bathroom, a couch and another TV (which is not needed) by the window. The balcony rooms are very small, but if it is more than $500 difference, I personally do not think it is worth the extra money.

Is it worth the extra money to book a mini-suite? I always book a balcony room, but am thinking of splurging this time -- any comments, any differences that would make it worth the extra money?

Jessica

Jessica,

We base our cabin decisions on length of cruise. Anything 10 days or more and we opt for the mini. They are basically two rooms and the extra space is very nice on longer itineraries. But I really believe that the bigger bathrooms alone make it worth it. Having the sofa with it's own TV is a good option too and there is extra storage space. There are also some perks that come with it though truthfully Princess has caught on and upgraded their beds and linens in all categories.

But here's a list:

Mini-Suites -- In Room Amenities

Luxury mattresses

Luxury ivory satin pinstripe bed linens

Fluffy duvets in place of blankets

Luggage protector on bed at embarkation

Pillow menu - option of feather or therapeutic pillows

Luxury towels

Glass of champagne at embarkation

Upgraded bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion)

Like Sharon, I base my decision as to cabin type by length of the cruise and how port intensive or days at sea it is. It's pretty much an individual decision but if you think you will use/enjoy the extra space and can afford it, go for it.

I appreciate it!!

I didn't know there were different linens and amenities. There is a $200 difference on one cruise I was looking at on the Emerald, perhaps it is worth it. Thanks!

Jess

Is there enough room in the mini-suite for 3 adults? On RCI Explorer, there was a walk in closet in the mini that you could even dress in if you want, but I know that on other cruise lines the mini's aren't much bigger than the regular cabins.

Is there enough room in the mini-suite for 3 adults? On RCI Explorer, there was a walk in closet in the mini that you could even dress in if you want, but I know that on other cruise lines the mini's aren't much bigger than the regular cabins.

Most minis on princess have a sofa bed, although we have sailed on a few ships that the minis did not have anything but a regular sofa in them and the mini itself was only a double. Best to check the deck plans before booking more than two in a mini suite.

The main problem with three adults is that there is no curtain to section off the beds from the sofa bed.

There is a large area between the closet and bathroom that is great for private dressing, but the lack of curtain makes the sleeping areas a bit friendly. ;)

the Emerald mini-suite worked out perfectly for my husband and me and our adult (24) son last month. We (DH and me) had the bed in the main part of the stateroom, and our son had the pull-out bed made up for him each night by our steward. There is some separation by the desk area and the storage/tv area, so we felt like there was some privacy, and the ability to have the 2 tvs turned to different channels was nice. We could get up in the morning and get ready for the day without disturbing him too much as he liked to sleep in when possible. And when he had "his" tv on, we could barely hear it. We have done single cabins with 4 of us in the past, and this mini-suite was a major improvement!!!

Luxury ivory satin pinstripe bed linens

Fluffy duvets in place of blankets

Luggage protector on bed at embarkation

Pillow menu - option of feather or therapeutic pillows

While it says it on the website, I'm not so sure about this. I had all of these on my Royal Princess cruise last November where I had one of the lowest category outside cabins and my Sapphire cruise in April/May where I had a balcony cabin.

Aren't these items provided in balcony cabins? And if so' date=' what is upgraded about these items in a mini-suite? :confused:

[/font']

Janice,

That's what I was alluding to here:

There are also some perks that come with it though truthfully Princess has caught on and upgraded their beds and linens in all categories.
many of these amenities are standard now: ;)

Originally Posted by crusdiva

Upgraded bathroom amenities (shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion)

Aren't these items provided in balcony cabins? And if so, what is upgraded about these items in a mini-suite?

The packaging is different - they consider that an upgrade" - go figure.

the Emerald mini-suite worked out perfectly for my husband and me and our adult (24) son last month. We (DH and me) had the bed in the main part of the stateroom, and our son had the pull-out bed made up for him each night by our steward. There is some separation by the desk area and the storage/tv area, so we felt like there was some privacy, and the ability to have the 2 tvs turned to different channels was nice. We could get up in the morning and get ready for the day without disturbing him too much as he liked to sleep in when possible. And when he had "his" tv on, we could barely hear it. We have done single cabins with 4 of us in the past, and this mini-suite was a major improvement!!!

Sounds perfect for my parents and brother. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Jessica

We had actually booked a balcony room on the Golden (through Princess), and then did some online research, and found mini-suite cabins (better location too) for the same money (actually a few dollars less). It was great to have the extra space, bigger bathroom and larger balcony. I could easily go back to a balcony room if it was considerably less money, but for the same money the mini was better.

Jessica

When my cruise planner asked if I wanted a mini-suite at about $100 more per person I said no and she chuckled at my reasoning. I like to see the sea from my bed when I wake up in the morning. If Princess reconfigured the rooms, I'd probably go for it. I might also go for it if traveling with more than 2 people in a room. Otherwise, I want a balcony.

Cheers!

Tee

No one has discussed the balcony issue here...mini-suites (on most ships) are on the dolphin deck and have a fully exposed (large) balcony. The balcony rooms have a larger, but half covered, half-not balcony. this makes a difference to some people.

A second issue is whether you intend to use your room privately....I was in a mini-suite for March Break 2007--the ship was crowded--we hung out on our balcony and in our room for privacy and quiet. Plus one day it poured rain, so we had a comfortable oasis to hang out while everyone else trooped out in the rain to visit the port.

My personal opinion is that we only cruise every second year so I am going to insist on a mini-suite...it's totally worth it. If I had the opportunity to cruise 4-6 times a year as many of our members do, I might reconsider.

No one has discussed the balcony issue here...mini-suites (on most ships) are on the dolphin deck and have a fully exposed (large) balcony. The balcony rooms have a larger, but half covered, half-not balcony. this makes a difference to some people.

A second issue is whether you intend to use your room privately....I was in a mini-suite for March Break 2007--the ship was crowded--we hung out on our balcony and in our room for privacy and quiet. Plus one day it poured rain, so we had a comfortable oasis to hang out while everyone else trooped out in the rain to visit the port.

My personal opinion is that we only cruise every second year so I am going to insist on a mini-suite...it's totally worth it. If I had the opportunity to cruise 4-6 times a year as many of our members do, I might reconsider.

It is true that Dolphin Deck mini suite balconies offer no privacy. On the other hand, mini suites on Emerald Deck offer completely covered, very private balconies. Those are the one's that I always go for!

Archived