quebec walking tour

My wife and I have done quite a bit of traveling. We were both in the military and have been to some exotic locales. With that said, we just visited the city of Quebec in early June and it has to be one of the most spectacular cities we have ever visited. Just a magnificent city. Since it is their 400th anniversary, they really have the placed spruced up. The day we were in port, they were having an air show. Awesome seeing and hearing the snowbirds fly by. It was quite a juxtaposition between the old town and the jet fighters. Quebec city is so authentic...it has what every other town tries to recreate. The croissants and crepes were fantastic! We thought we would have to go back to France to get a light and fluffy croissant. Not so. They are in our own backyard...so to speak. :)

One question, are you cruising with NCL. I saw that their ship often dock at a pier further than the official cruise ship pier, it would be a good walk or short taxi ride to start the walking tour I suggest.

yes, we are on NCL. http://www.portquebec.ca/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=97

according to this link we are at "22", not sure what that represents.

Quai 22 is the best of the docking spaces. It's the one with the unobstructed view of the city. Quai 21 is the one right beside, nearly as good but slightly blocked view.

Hello!

We're on Celebrity's Constellation arriving Quebec City on Oct. 11-12, 2008 at Quai 93. I looked up on the port de quebec and it's near the quai's 21 & 22 and below the Citadelle.

How do we access the city from this quai? Is it walkable to the main entrance to the Vieux Quebec? (I'm using a tiny map from the tourist board as a reference.)

We are also interested in walking tours of the city.

Thanks, Brigid-

Hi Timber.cruiser,

It would be a long walk to get to the "Quartier Petit-Champlain" where the funicular is to get upper town. I think it would be best to use the bus #1. Here is the map http://www.rtcquebec.ca/_cms/plugins/horaires/trajet_resultat.aspx?parcoursNo=1&date=2008-07-14+05%3a00%3a00 and the schedule:

http://www.rtcquebec.ca/_cms/plugins/horaires/horaire_resultat.aspx?parcoursNo=1&date=2008-07-14+05%3a00%3a00#

This bus route has a lot of electrical bus, they are very small and cute and they don't make noise. I've never tried them but I guess they are better than regular bus.

You will have to take the bus on Champlain Boulevard up to Place Royale. Our bus driver are usually helpful, just ask them to tell you where is Place Royale and stay near the entrance of the bus and he/she will tell you where to stop.

You can buy bus ticket for about 2,35$ each, a daily pass (6,15$) or with exact canadian money (2,50$ one way).

I might be available to show you around since you are here during a weekend. If you are interested, e-mail me at jplamondon2001 @hotmail.com (I am not a tour guide but I know lots of great places and quite a bit of our history).

P.S. Have you read my blog? I give some information about restaurants too

• 2 weeks later...

Great job, Julie, on your blog and all the other most helpful info you have posted here!

I have wanted to take a cruise up the Eastern coast into Canada for sometime now and just have not been able to decide when and where. I am leaning more toward June so my school teacher friends might join me.

Is your weather nice in June?

What cruise lines do you recall seeing docked in Quebec?

I like the sound of the itinerary Montreal to Boston - on the HAL ship but have certainly NOT decided on this one....and seems I recall HAL is usually more pricey than the other 7 day cruises.

Any further ideas?

Anyway - thanks so much for posting your tour advice!

JP2001, or anyone in the know, we will be in Quebec City for 3 days in 2009 and are wondering...

-We are Vegetarians, we do not eat any meat or fish, and were wondering if there were any restaurants in Quebec City that could accommodate us?

-Which hotel is better: Chateau Frontenac or Chateau Laurier?

-Are there any pharmacies or grocery stores within walking distance of either hotel?

Thank you! :)

JP2001, or anyone in the know, we will be in Quebec City for 3 days in 2009 and are wondering...

-We are Vegetarians, we do not eat any meat or fish, and were wondering if there were any restaurants in Quebec City that could accommodate us?

-Are there any pharmacies or grocery stores within walking distance of either hotel?

Hi Sandra,

I am not vegetarian but I've heard many good comments about Le Commensal even from people who are not exclusively vegetarian. It's in the touristic are too so I would highly recommend it (http://www.commensal.com/en/ou/restaurants/quebec/default.idigit)

I think the Chateau Frontenac is better (it's our landmark, so just staying there is really something), I've never been to the Chateau-Laurier... sorry I know I'm not of great help with this one.

- About pharmacies and grocery stores, I'll have to check into this (I never shop for this kind of things in that area).

Great job, Julie, on your blog and all the other most helpful info you have posted here!

I have wanted to take a cruise up the Eastern coast into Canada for sometime now and just have not been able to decide when and where. I am leaning more toward June so my school teacher friends might join me.

Is your weather nice in June?

What cruise lines do you recall seeing docked in Quebec?

I like the sound of the itinerary Montreal to Boston - on the HAL ship but have certainly NOT decided on this one....and seems I recall HAL is usually more pricey than the other 7 day cruises.

Any further ideas?

Anyway - thanks so much for posting your tour advice!

The weather is usually nice in the end of June (20-23 celsius on average I would guess) and the Quebec Holiday is on June 24 (huge party on the night of June 23rd followed by a day off for most people. There is a big free show and huge drinking/smoking/partying for a big crowd. But I have to say that some people partying are not fond on having English people around during this party... not the majority of people you know but I prefer to tell you than some people are too proud of being French that they might sometimes be rude to other nationalities... most other days of the year, people are friendly, don't worry too much about my comment).

Hal ships come very often to Quebec City and their 7-night itinerary is great. To find such a great itinerary, one usually have to book a 10-12 nights roundtrip New York on other lines. I like NCL and they usually have a couple of those good-itinerary longer sailings.

I hope this helps a little.

I'll second the recommendation of Le Commensal - it's actually a chain of restaurants, with a rather nice branch on St-Jean St. (walking distance to the Château Laurier, actually). It's buffet style, and you pay by weight. Remember, however, that all restaurants have their menu visible from outside, so you can easily read menus and see if they have vegetarian options.

Hotels: Château Frontenac is definitely nicer and grander than the Château Laurier (really a townhouse that has been expanded/renovated), but if it's a question of price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the latter - especially as the CF's regular rooms are reportedly rather small.

No real grocery stores in the area, but some small food shops/depanneur type stores, and I believe there is a pharmacy somewhere (but I can't quite remember where! LOL)

• 1 year later...
I don't know this company because I don't take tours in my own city but I thought you may like my blog if you are interested by a walking tour on your own.

http://jp2001-travel.blogspot.com

Thanks for the information. I plan to do my own walking tour in September.

Can you suggest a locatioon close to the ship where I can buy wine?

Pattie

Can you suggest a locatioon close to the ship where I can buy wine?

We were in Quebec City in September 2008, when we were walking around the lower city we found a convenience store that sold beer & wine (in a bottle, with a cork, but nothing too fancy) on Rue Dalhousie between Rue Saint Paul and Quai Saint-Andre (it's a Petro-Canada store).

A Google search for "liquor store" in Quebec City suggests that SAQ might be a good choice. Looks like there's one in the Chateau Frontenac. Prices look a little high compared to the PA State Stores, though (a bottle of Ménage à Trois CA red wine is US$10-13 in PA, C$19.60 at SAQ).

We didn't see a lot of choices near the cruise terminal other than that...

Hi Julie,

We were in Victoria at the gardens this past Saturday and I thought of you. It is fun to see you on this site. We remember the great walking tour you gave our group last fall. We were on the Constellation.

Hope all is going well with you and hope to see you again sometime. My son and daughterin-law really want to see Quebec City. We were going to go this July on a land tour, but it didn't work out. I will keep your e-mail incase we go later.

Nancy and Bob in Texas

Julie -- I remember you took a group from the Connie last year - we didn't go as I have a mobility scooter and was unsure of terrain, but all said they loved it. This year we're there on a Thursday with NCL - 9/16 from 10-10. Any availability? or any scooter advice? Vicki:)

I don't know this company because I don't take tours in my own city but I thought you may like my blog if you are interested by a walking tour on your own.

http://jp2001-travel.blogspot.com

I have printed out your walking tour. We are looking at staying at the Hotel du Vieux Quebec in mid October near the cruiseport. Any thoughts on this place?

Also, is there a nearby store to purchase liquor and wine?

Thanks, Ron

• 2 weeks later...
We were in Quebec City in September 2008, when we were walking around the lower city we found a convenience store that sold beer & wine (in a bottle, with a cork, but nothing too fancy) on Rue Dalhousie between Rue Saint Paul and Quai Saint-Andre (it's a Petro-Canada store).

A Google search for "liquor store" in Quebec City suggests that SAQ might be a good choice. Looks like there's one in the Chateau Frontenac. Prices look a little high compared to the PA State Stores, though (a bottle of Ménage à Trois CA red wine is US$10-13 in PA, C$19.60 at SAQ).

We didn't see a lot of choices near the cruise terminal other than that...

In Quebec, our depanneurs (convenient stores) do sell beer and wine. The wine is not necessarily the best quality but will do if in a pinch. The SAQ are our provincially operated and regulated liquor stores. All prices, regardless of what city in the province, should be the same, even at the Chateau Frontenac. The prices are definitely going to be higher than what you have in the U.S. as they are very heavily taxed (we call it a "sin tax" as all the guilty pleasures have high taxes). Now with all that said, I can't help you with regards to the locations of the SAQ's near the port. I am attending a wedding there in two weeks and spending 3 days there beforehand so will most definitely be scoping out the closest SAQ.

I'll be back.....

Archived