Anyone who has done a land trip on Grand Cayman

Seal

Need some information--we have been on many Caribbean cruises but somehow we've missed Grand Cayman

Anyone know of a good hotel area and good hotels--haven't a clue

Need your help

Nancy:D

We go to GC on land vacations. Is this what you are planning? Do you want to stay somewhere on the 7MB area? If you give me an idea of where or what you're looking for, I'll post some info for you.

You might also check out Cayman Activity Guide (connect this and add the www and the dot com after guide). I think you have to register, but there's a lot of info there, plus tons of pictures. Just keep in mind that they promote the places that advertise in the magazine, so there might be others that might interest you, but they won't be at CAG. CAG is a good tool to use for pictures, and ideas. Cruise critic posters will actually give you a more balanced view of their experiences with hotels, tours, restaurants, etc.

GC is a wonderful place. We love going there because it's safe and the people who live on the island are really nice.

There are a couple of locals that post here on CC. I'm sure they'd also be happy to help you with your questions.

We are thinking of staying at the Westin. Do you know if that is in a good location; good hotel, etc. Does the island have a lot of water activities (i.e., snorkeling, sailing, diving etc). Is 7 days about right for a vacation? What is a good time to go? Thinking about March or April. Thanks for your help.

I just spent 8 days on GC from 4/30 to 5/8. We had plenty of activities that we did on our own: lots of snorkeling, day trip to Rum Point, one day at Sting Ray City/Coral Gardens/Barrier Reef, different beaches each day. We stayed at the Grandview Condos and I can highly recommend that complex. Try vrbo.com for rental information. The beach in front of the condos is great for swimming and snorkeling, the condos are very nice, and the location is great. We avoided Georgetown and other "tourist" areas on the days that several cruise ships are in b/c it's just too congested. Just beware that everything is very expen$ive on GC as the CD is 1.25 to our $1.

But do go and enjoy. It's beautiful, the water is warm and clear, and the sea life is wonderful. Oh, but do take water shoes as some of the areas are rocky.

We are there now renting a private villa that sleeps 10 that we found thru http://www.vrbo.com. We are just down the road from Rum Point and only yesterday ventured to Georgetown and the 7 Mile Beach area for the first time. Today we are going out on a boat to Stingray City with NO cruise ships in the area today, parasailing on Sunday, and lots of neat local restaurants. We had no problem filling up the week with using the pool at the villa, the dock to snorkel off of, and the use of the kayaks. Great way to spend a week!!!!

We are thinking of staying at the Westin. Do you know if that is in a good location; good hotel, etc. Does the island have a lot of water activities (i.e., snorkeling, sailing, diving etc). Is 7 days about right for a vacation? What is a good time to go? Thinking about March or April. Thanks for your help.

In addition to what the others have posted...

The Westin Casuarina is a beautiful hotel. We walked through the lobby one day and then out to their pool area. It's really pretty. I don't know what the rooms are like, but I'll bet they are beautiful. If you can, get an ocean view (late one night, we saw a cruise ship passing the island-and we love sitting and watching the water).

Red Sail operates out of the Westin. They also are at the Marriott Beach (next door to where we've stayed), and we used them for renting wave runners.

Here's the hotels where they are located.

http://www.redsailcayman.com/pdf/GC_Hotel_Map.pdf

Here's the activities and prices.

http://www.redsailcayman.com/pdf/GC_LOA.pdf

The Westin is in a good location if you want to be on 7MB. We've toyed with the idea of staying over near Rum Point, and probably will at some point (when we are without our kids), but if you think you're going to be doing a lot of things on 7MB and in that area, I'd stay on the 7MB stretch.

We prefer a condo because we like to try and do at least one meal in, rather than a restaurant. We almost always go in January/February, but I have a friend who has a time-share there and her weeks are in March and April and she loves that time of year. If I couldn't do J/F, I'd do March or April.

Seven days is a good amount of time, but we've also done a 4-day week and the next one is going to be a bit longer. It was easier to justify a short trip there when we could get decent airfare, but I think those days are long gone, so we'll probably do at least 7-days from now on.

Here's where we stay. Our favorite room is 122 (2-bedroom). We've tried to get 121 in the past (it's a 3-bedroom), but it's always booked. When we travel with our three kids, 122 works out ok. There's a sleeper sofa in the LR, and twin beds in the 2nd bedroom.

http://www.regalbeach.com/home.html

I think we're going to try the Meridian next time.

http://www.meridian.ky/main.html

Here's a site that shows some of the hotels. If you want to look at some of the condos offered, look on the left of the page and click on "condos & vacation rentals."

http://www.gocayman.ky/content/view/49/133/

There is plenty of things to do to keep you busy for a week. You can do as much as you want, or as little. We spend a lot of time sitting on the beach with a drink and good book. Our kids are more active, so they're always off snorkeling, renting wave runners...things like that. But there are things that we've still not done (the Pirate ship and the submarine) and hope to do in the future. We try and do stingray sandbar on a day that there are no ships in port. One time we were the only boat at stingray sandbar for a bit, and it was really nice.

We always use Captain Marvin's for our snorkeling, but there are others that are just as good. There's also a company that will come along on the excursions and tape the snorkels for you. We contacted them directly to make sure they'd be on our excursion. We really wanted a DVD of our snorkel (and it was awesome). They delivered it to our condo a day or two after our snorkel.

Here's their contact info...

VIP Productions

vip@candw.ky

We rent our car from Andy's. Their airport location is just outside the front door of the airport (and across a small lot). We found a discount coupon at Cayman Activity Guide for Andy's (not sure if they have these or not now, but it's worth it to take a look). In fact, when you get off your plane, make sure and pick up the Activity Guide and you'll find all sorts maps and other info inside. They're located at a booth-type place. I believe it's on your right as you walk toward the conveyor belt (where you pick up your luggage). And you're going to LOVE this airport. It's really small, and so easy to get in and out of!

http://www.andys.ky/

When you eat out, always check your ticket. Most of the time, the tip will already be added on. The first time we were there, we didn't know this and we ended up double tipping.

We pretty much used our credit cards as much as possible. We've never had any funny fees or over charges. We also bring along USD and have no problems using this. However, if you use USD your change will most likely be in Cayman money. I always ask if I can get my change in USD and sometimes we were able to and sometimes we weren't.

If you want to know what the price will be in USD, just ask. It seems like the grocery store had cash registers that automatically put both Cayman and USD info on the tickets. And I think some of the restaurants do this, but if they don't, they will gladly write this info for you on your ticket or bill.

Here's a place that lists some of the restaurants. We loved Coconut Joe's. It's almost across the street from where we stay, so we walked over there a lot.

http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/

We love Breezes. A couple of times a week, we'd have dinner there and watch the last of the ships load up and leave. They have a small balcony area (on the second level), and we'd try and get a seat there. I think there's a third level, but we've not been up there. They have a bar menu, but you have to ask for it. The bar menu has a few different items, but they also have some of the same items (as the reg menu) but without the sides. Below is their website. I thought the building had "Landmark" on it, but in the picture they show, it say Breezes. At any rate, it's right in the port area and easy to find.

http://www.breezesbythebay.com/

Here's our favorite shop on the island. it's about a mile out of town (the opposite way from 7MB). As you are driving along, it will be on your left. The front of the business (it's a house) faces the street you turn on. We missed it the first time, thinking the house faced the main street.

http://www.pureart.ky/

Things you might do while on the island...

1. Visit the botanical garden (it's on the way to Rum Point).

http://www.botanic-park.ky/

2. The blow holes are also over that direction, although, they aren't always active. It depends on what's going on with the water, I believe.

3. Visit Hell. This is over on the 7MB area. It's basically an area that has jagged rock formations. There's also a gift shop.

4. Turtle Farm. We toured the old farm, but now there's a new one (just down the road). We've not toured the new one, but we walked through the gift shop, which is very large.

5. Butterfly Garden.

6. Pedro St. James Castle. This is over toward Savannah. This is a historic site (museum & gift area).

7. Atlantis Submarine. We've not done this, but it's on our list.

8. Rum Point. It's about a 45-minute drive from GT. Rum Point is really pretty. Very tropical. There's a nice beach, chairs, gift shop, restaurant, and a nice restroom/shower/changing area. Red Sail operates there, so there's water activities.

9. Rum Cakes. Tortuga is our favorite, but one time we found rumcakes that were chocolate and vanilla swirled. They were made by another company, but I can't remember their name. We found those after the hurricane, and I think they were called "hurricane."

Here's a list I found on Trip Adviser. I don't know what all is on the list, but I am sure there are tons of things to do on GC that's we've not done.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g147365-Activities-Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

Don't forget to check out Cayman Activity Guide online. There really is a lot of info and pictures there. It will give you a real good idea of what's on the island as far as tourist spots, restaurants, and things to do. :)

I meant to add this...

Like 10splyr mentioned, it can get crowded when there are several ships in port. Prior to going, I check out the Cayman Port Authority and write down the ships and number of people on the ships, and take this list with me. We plan our day around this. It's really not that big of a deal, but you don't want to be in town when there are a lot of ships in port. The place pretty much starts clearing out in the early afternoon.

We particularly like the East End of the island. The great thing about Grand Cayman is you can a rent a car and do your own thing. Just use the same precautions that you'd use at home and you'll be fine. This is why we keep going back to Grand Cayman. We love to cruise, and we've been to a lot of islands, but IMO, none are like Grand Cayman. It's just wonderful...:)

And if you're over near Rum Point, keep going until you get to Cayman Kai. There's an area there that has tons of starfish.

The other posters have given you lots of great advice and suggestions.

Have a fun time!

http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm

WOW--you surely out did yourself

What great information--I've bookmarked al the sites--We plan on going in January and have AA--ff tickets on hold for 24 hours--we're trying to use most that we have now through the next 330 days--I have a bad feeling about all the ff miles--with fewer planes in the sky and all the lay-offs that are coming up--I'm sure those of us with miles will have a harder time securing flights we'd like.

I've had enough cruising for awhile--we racked up a lot of cruises in about 2-1/2 to 3 years--I'm ready for some more land based vacations--we just booked Aruba for October--one ofour favorites had been FP--Bora Bora IC before boarding the Tahitian Princess--done the cruise 3 times--think that's plenty--do love the islands--especially Bora Bora and OWB--

Thanks again--you are SO helpful !!!

Have a wonderful time in Grand Cayman. There's really a lot to do there. There's all sorts of wonderful restaurants scattered around the island. There's nothing more fun than having lunch or dinner right next to the water.

Aruba is on our list of places we want to visit. Prior to our first land vacation on Grand Cayman, we almost went to Aruba, but Grand Cayman is so close and we'd been there, so we knew what to expect, so went there. Now we go back because we know we're going to love it, but I think we'll probably go to Aruba in the next year or two.

I'd LOVE to go to Bora Bora! Hubby hates flying for vacations (he does a lot of flying for business), so I am always trying to book places that we can get there in a short period of time, or on a non-stop. With flying the way it is today it's even a bigger challenge for me to do this. Like you, I have a bad feeling about the FF miles. It seems like there's something new with the airlines each day.

We have a business and it's hard for us to get away for too long. It seems like there's always something going on especially these days. The other day hubby said it would be nice to have a private jet. I about swallowed my tongue! Yeah, that would be the ticket. lol Then we could go wherever we wanted...but I'd still have to get him out of the office. Not an easy task.

I'd love to hear about your Aruba vacation. And any FP tips I'd love to know. I keep a vacation file on places we've been and want to visit. I'd love to stay in one of those places that are out of the water. I've seen pictures...they look like huts, and they are attached with walkway. I believe they were in FP somewhere. They looked really cool.

Have a great vacation!

Have a wonderful time in Grand Cayman. There's really a lot to do there. There's all sorts of wonderful restaurants scattered around the island. There's nothing more fun than having lunch or dinner right next to the water.

Aruba is on our list of places we want to visit. Prior to our first land vacation on Grand Cayman, we almost went to Aruba, but Grand Cayman is so close and we'd been there, so we knew what to expect, so went there. Now we go back because we know we're going to love it, but I think we'll probably go to Aruba in the next year or two.

I'd LOVE to go to Bora Bora! Hubby hates flying for vacations (he does a lot of flying for business), so I am always trying to book places that we can get there in a short period of time, or on a non-stop. With flying the way it is today it's even a bigger challenge for me to do this. Like you, I have a bad feeling about the FF miles. It seems like there's something new with the airlines each day.

We have a business and it's hard for us to get away for too long. It seems like there's always something going on especially these days. The other day hubby said it would be nice to have a private jet. I about swallowed my tongue! Yeah, that would be the ticket. lol Then we could go wherever we wanted...but I'd still have to get him out of the office. Not an easy task.

I'd love to hear about your Aruba vacation. And any FP tips I'd love to know. I keep a vacation file on places we've been and want to visit. I'd love to stay in one of those places that are out of the water. I've seen pictures...they look like huts, and they are attached with walkway. I believe they were in FP somewhere. They looked really cool.

Have a great vacation!

We all need to have a business-so that we can provide the necessary funding for these trips of ours. It appears that you reside on the East Coast--we are in Southern California--for us going to Cayman or Aruba is a couple of flights--but not too bad--going to FP from here is a long flight--can't remember somewhere between 8 and 10 hours from LAX to Papette--if you do go to FP and go to Bora Bora--we usually stay at the Intercontinental Hotel--pay $150 usd --gives you an automatic upgrade and a free weekend night--the free night is great--lst trip we put one of the $150 membership toward Bora Bora--then onto the cruise and then--the other membership give us afree night--we stayed for 2 nights at the IC Papette---beautiful property--EXPENSIVE food--but, what else is new for the islands ?? It seems that breakfast is the most unreasonable--at the --the buffets start for cold breakfast--other4wise continental--about $30 usd--when you ask for an alacarte menu can get a great hot breakfast for about $10--there's always a way--of course, you neeed to keep goodies in your room from market trips

We loved Aruba--stayed at the Hyatt Regency--Just beautiful--the water is to die for--you c an easily just like on a floating mat--provided by the hotel--and just float--more like a bay in front of the hotel--love it--I really don't need the crashing waves--The have low-rise area and hi-rise area--lots of all-inclusive--

snorkeling is the reef and the wreck--no matter who you go through--still fun--I've mostly given up snorkeling--starting to HATE the mask--been doing it since the late

70's--there are several companies for your excursions--one is red sail--they are located at the Hyatt--we used them once and found others on the beach--looking out ofour window we could see black swans swimming in the water areas --I'll bet you'd be happy there--they even have a neat slide for the kids going into a part of the pool--swim up bar in the pool--also serves snacks--you've probably been to Aruba on a cruise ship--what you see most of the time doesn't show you how really beautiful it is--We went around the island on our first ship excursion--lighthouse etc.--natural bridge--not there anymore--really windy in some parts--I*'ll let you know more after our October trip--

We rent a home in Maui for our family trip--but--just the two of us--aq hotel is usually the answer--just for fun--the home we have rented the past 2 summers is super--it was originally Magic Johnson's--great family vacation home--5 bedrooms/7 baths--2 sets of washer/dryer-only a 5 hour flight for us

Thanks for all this wonderful information! I'm going to copy this and put it with my other "travel" info. The IC Papette sounds really nice! And a free night or upgrade at the Intercontinental Hotel sounds like a great deal. I just can't imagine hubby being on a plane for that long. I'd have to tranquilize him! lol Maybe that's what I need to start doing. :)

The Hyatt in Aruba sounds like a place we'd enjoy. Black swans...how cool. And a swim up bar...love those things. I love to snorkel, but hubby isn't crazy about it, so we compromise a bit on how many times we snorkel on a vacation. I could snorkel all day and never get tired of it...but one or two times is enough for him. Oddly enough, I snorkeled for the first time about 6 years ago and found that I loved it. I am always the one that wants to get in the water. Hubby and kids sometimes go along, sometimes they don't. I love going places that have the blue water. I just love getting on a mat and floating around in the ocean. Do you rent a car while you're in Aruba? I like going places that we can get out on our own and toodle around at our own pace.

We've not been to Hawaii, but hubby just mentioned that he's got a job that he bid that he may get, so we'll probably get to visit there in the next year or so. The place you rent sounds fabulous! It sounds like it would be perfect for a family trip. We're going to GC this next time without our kids, so I am not sure where we're going to stay (have some ideas, but nothing reserved). Sometimes a hotel is nice...we love the room service and all, but with the family, we need more space. And now they all have girlfriends and a boyfriend, so we usually end up bringing them along also. It gets crazy at times, but we sure have a blast. I'm hoping one day we'll have a grandkid or two and we can all go on a Disney cruise. But so far, no one seems that interested in children...or getting married!

We actually live in Kansas, but we go to GC via Florida (we do a lot of business in Florida-in the quarry industry) to visit job sites. So it's an easy flight for us from Miami or FLL to GC. I have cousins that live in Southern California. They love the weather and the water there. I can't say that I blame them.

I'm envious of you...vacationing in Aruba and Grand Cayman. It sounds like we both need a big lottery win to support our travel addiction! :)

We live in Seal Beach , CA--a couple of blocks up from the beach--we have greenish/brown water--after the great places we've been--you don't get too excited about getting in that water--it's not warm either--this is a surfing beach--we also havew a 2nd home in La Quinta--desert area by Palm Springs--we have a full office set up here in the desert which makes it easy--since this is a family business--we also can have customers stay her and golf, get their work done--we have computers if they don't, fax etc.--It's been about 113 today--we're only about 2 hours from house to house--we have golf course out here at PGA West--most of the folks go home during this time of the year--lots of Canadians buying now--There dollar has really improved--unlike ours

But at least you're close to the water. We don't have much here...but cornfields. :) But I do understand what you're saying...I like the crystal clear blue water of the Caribbean. I'd love to have a second home somewhere close by...but there's nothing too exciting close to us. We had a family cabin in the Rocky Mountains for years, but that's a 9 hour drive for us. I did love spending summers there. The house is still there, and we are always stopping by and talking to the owners. They say that not a summer goes by that someone in my family doesn't stop in and say "hello."

We looked into buying a condo in GC, but we'd need to rent it out a lot of the time. They have pretty strict guidelines on how long you can be there, and how much income you have to be making to stay for any length of time.

I have a friend who was going to buy a 2 bedroom--semi-completed house and finish it himself on St. Thomas--the thing that stopped him was hurricane iunsurance--it would c ost about $700 per month--worth more than the little house--I actually find that hard to believe--

The folks that own the house we rent in Maui have 2 there--very popular rentals--they own a new one across the road that is on another bay--also has private tennis court for the 2 homes--he more than pays for his mortgages--many times when they come to town they'll stay in some very low rent place--when we left this June he had 5 days with no one and then they were going to come over--liv e in Washington state--

The gardner at the property we stay at says they surf together

It's so hard to have a rental that far away--in mo0st cases you would need a company to rent it for you--b ut--there goes some of the money--with the guy we rent from we go to him personally--we save a bit and so does he--There is always a large beautiful tropical floral arrangement to greet us as we come in the front entry--also a b asket full of island goodies, nuts, coffee, cookies

all the towels paper and whatever--a pretty good pantry with seasonings etc--he asks that you don't clean out the refrigerator when you leave-that the leftover food will be given to the locals--the refrigerator (sub-zero) doesn't keep things very cold on the refrigerator side--freezer--we questioned it a year ago--he's just not going to repair--just don't buy in great quantity--it works

Many times on plane trips to San Juan--I've found myself next to people who own places on th islands--don't know why--but it always surprises me--these people have come from LAX

You do probably need to be able to visit your property more than we would. I'd have to look for my file, but it seems like the monthly maintenance fee and hurricane insurance was around $1,400...and to this, you add the cost of the condo. This was just after Ivan went through, and at that time, the weekly rentals were down...way down, even in the peak times. But I am sure by now things have picked up as far as the rentals go. We've not checked into buying anything since that one time. We just go there now for fun and sun. Grand Cayman is our favorite island. We do love it there. But we need to be able to rent the property a lot of the time, so it's just not going to work for us at this point in time.

They also had a strange thing, at least, IMO, where the realtor has nothing to do with the bank or helping you find a bank (mortgage).

The place you rent in Maui sounds really nice. i could get spoiled there after a week or so! :)

Archived