Cigars Still Allowed in Michael's Club?

Jaycue52

Just out of curiosity, when Celebrity's new smoking policy goes into effect October 1, 2008, will cigar smoking still be allowed in Michael's Club? We will be sailing on the Galaxy on the 5th of December.

In line with that question, does anybody have any knowledge of the cigars that are offered in Michael's? A list would help. Thanks to all.

Just out of curiosity, when Celebrity's new smoking policy goes into effect October 1, 2008, will cigar smoking still be allowed in Michael's Club? We will be sailing on the Galaxy on the 5th of December.

l.

There has been no cigar smoking in Michael's club for a long time. Only Mercury still allowed it two years ago but I believe that smoking venue has been shifted outside as well since then.

Nope....see this link for current and upcoming smoking details. Cigar smoking is currently only allowed in designated areas of outdoor decks.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000qXnnVJQDgBzCfctSj5khoo4:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&faqId=572&pagename=faq_answers

On our Constellation cruise in March, there was no cigar smoking allowed in Michael's club at any point in time. I don't think there has been cigar smoking in Michael's for some time. Can anyone else confirm that?

Cigar smokers have been relegated to the aft outdoor deck during set hours for quite sometime & until recently on the balcony-- but now that has been taken away as well. DH will be forced to go aft or wait til we hit the ports!

On our recent Summit Cruise they allowed Cigar smoking ourside the Waterfall Cafe aft. They even had a display of cigars for sale during certain hours. Smokers kept to one side of the deck, non-smokers to the other. I did not indulge, but we all enjoyed the drinks, the view of the sale away and the sunset, as well as the guitar player in the evening.

I put the banning of Cigars in Michaels in the same league as the intoduction of New Coke several years ago. As a cigar bar, Michaels was a throwback to the days of classic cruising where one could enjoy a fine cigar, gognac and excellent conversatuon. Nowhere else on the ship today is there a place where enlightening and interesting conversations are naturally entered. Nowhere else is conducive to engaging fellow cruisers in deep conversations resulting in new friendships. This is not to say that one cannot find friends and conversation but there is no place where the atmosphere is as compelling as the old Michaels Club.

Yes I know that many cruisers did not use Michaels because of the smoke, but I know many who don't use the gym because of the "sweat" :D and no one has closed the gyms. And except for the shows by Perry Grant, Michaels Club ususally has fewer clientel than it did before.

I am not a cigar smoker except occassionally on the golf course. But on every cruise, I always spent a night or two in Michaels with a cigar, cognac and new friends and I miss those wonderful times!!!!

On some of the ships...the little used libraries could be used as a smaller cigar bar--it was classy--but we too spend lots of time aft with the guitar guy! Surprised they did not make something like this on Solstice...who really needs a hot glas show & a lawn at sea?

On Constellation, Michaels Club is the home of Perry Grant and it's standing room only all night long every night he's playing (which is most). I'd say on Connie they are selling are far more adult beverages on any given night with Perry in the house. Can't speak for the other M-class ships.

It used to be that only cigar smokers used Michael's Club. Now, no one uses the club.

When we sailed on Mercury B2B2B in Feb 06, there were only 2 or 3 guys smoking cigars every night. The smoke did not stay just in Michael's Club.

When we were on Galaxy B2B in May, Michael's club was full practically every night with people sipping cocktails while listening to the pianist. We had a similar experience on our B2B on Century in May of 2007. However no-one fills Michael's Club like Perry Grant. He must generate more bar revenue for Celebrity and the waiters there than any other lounge on any Celebrity ship.

However no-one fills Michael's Club like Perry Grant. He must generate more bar revenue for Celebrity and the waiters there than any other lounge on any Celebrity ship.

I don't know Perry Grant, but let's clone the fellow for the other ships! :)

It used to be that only cigar smokers used Michael's Club. Now, no one uses the club.

I beg to differ with you. On the cruises we have taken, we have seen more people in Michael's club since the cigar smoking was banned than when it was a cigar bar.

I put the banning of Cigars in Michaels in the same league as the intoduction of New Coke several years ago. As a cigar bar, Michaels was a throwback to the days of classic cruising where one could enjoy a fine cigar, gognac and excellent conversatuon. Nowhere else on the ship today is there a place where enlightening and interesting conversations are naturally entered. Nowhere else is conducive to engaging fellow cruisers in deep conversations resulting in new friendships. This is not to say that one cannot find friends and conversation but there is no place where the atmosphere is as compelling as the old Michaels Club.

Yes I know that many cruisers did not use Michaels because of the smoke, but I know many who don't use the gym because of the "sweat" :D and no one has closed the gyms. And except for the shows by Perry Grant, Michaels Club ususally has fewer clientel than it did before.

I am not a cigar smoker except occassionally on the golf course. But on every cruise, I always spent a night or two in Michaels with a cigar, cognac and new friends and I miss those wonderful times!!!!

We also miss the great conversations we had in Michael's Club. We met one of our best cruising buddies on the Century in Michael's.

1057691391041895530S200x200Q85.jpg

We have done several cruises with him since, and we always compare ship cigar bars(the ones that are left) to Michael's Club. None compare to date. By the time we cruised the Horizon, cigar smoking was relegated to the aft deck, where we talked the CD, John Howald, into joining us each evening(we made him feel bad for making us stay outside).

1134322705041895530S200x200Q85.jpg

Archived