Non-carnival Tours

terri102269

My family and I are sailing on Aug 3, 2008 aboard Carnival Valor. I want to know if anyone has any non-Carnival sponsered tour info for Belize, Rotaan Island and Cozamel. The tours that Carnival has seem to be over priced. I have cruised with carnival before and I don't remember them being this expensive. Any websites or phone numbers would be very helpful and GREATLY appreciated.

Thank You

TSC

If you go over to the Ports of Call boards for each of your ports, you'll get lots of ideas over there.

In Belize: cave-tubing with http://www.cave-tubing.com/ or Mayan Ruins with http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm

In Roatan we zip lined once. I don't have the website but you'll find some companies over on the Roatan board. We went here last time http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

Cozumel is very easy to do on your own. Lots of beaches. You can decide which one you want to go to and just tell the cabbie where you want to go.

Have fun planning!

BELIZE do cavetubing with dennis perez google explore belize caves very personal. went with group of 6

Cozumel - we did nachi cocom beach break all inclusive day

Roatan - just get a cab and go to west end beach

do not do carnival excursions they are overpriced and crowded

We used www.coralbreezetours.com for a snorkeling trip several years ago in Belize and they were terrific, not to mention much cheaper than the ship tours. We paid for 2 snorkelers and 2 observers (ds was too young to snorkel), and they let dh and I switch off so we both got to snorkel with dd for a bit. Dh did the coral, I did the rays, and ds hung out on the boat eating boxed cereal I brought off the ship. Fun for everyone, and I highly recommend them.

You can save 25% to $40% by booking with local tour companies. You have fewer people and get more info and one on one with the guides. Many people worry about missing the boat but if you research these boards you can find companies with good reviews and work from there. The only time that I book thru the cruiseline is when there is a tour with tight timelines. Then I might consider useing the ship tours.

If you go over to the Ports of Call boards for each of your ports, you'll get lots of ideas over there.

In Belize: cave-tubing with http://www.cave-tubing.com/ or Mayan Ruins with http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.com/Lamanai_Belize.htm

In Roatan we zip lined once. I don't have the website but you'll find some companies over on the Roatan board. We went here last time http://www.finsandflippers.com/en/index.html

Cozumel is very easy to do on your own. Lots of beaches. You can decide which one you want to go to and just tell the cabbie where you want to go.

Have fun planning!

I second cave-tubing.com. Had a blast, and they really took good care of my youngest (Carnival age limits wouldn't let her do it). I had no concerns whatsoever.

Cozumel - we've done the atlantis submarine on our own. I forget the website, but am sure you can google it and find info. It was cheaper to book on our own vs. what the ship wanted. One other time we just hit the beach in Cozumel. Plenty of cabs to take you where you want to go.

a20.00 cab ride, to the Myan Princess Hotel..10.00 to use the chair a beach.

This place is as beautiful as it gets.the drinks at the beach ummmm. and if you want a beach side massage..best twenty we ever spent..and the beach is miles of white sand.lot of fish to see..hope this helps

We used regtour.com for our cave tubing in Belize. We actually got to go further than Carnival's group did and we had excellent tour guides. For some of our other excursions we have used shoretrips.com and have enjoyed working with them. We like the much smaller groups.

Belize: we did cave tubing on our own. It was longer and less money than Carnival excursion. We had a large group of adults and did not enjoy this. The bus ride was very long, extremely bumpy and HOT. We thought the whole bus was going to fall apart and the windows would pop out. If you have migraines do not do this! It was the dry season so the water level was very low and tubing was difficult. I think it was May. The walk was very long and difficult with a large tube. My husband had to carry my friend's tube. Our children could not have handled the walk or the bus ride. Jumping off the small cliff into the water was the best part. When water levels are high in the rainy season you must use bug spray. Belize was not at all what I thought, to me it ranks with Jamaica. MHO it was dirty and poor. I heard the canopy tour and beaches were nice. I would not go back to Belize for an extended vacation.

Roatan: We did Tabayana (sp??) beach break with horseback riding through Carnival. This was the most beautiful beach I have been to. You can snorkel right off the beach. We had a wonderful time. We ate lunch on the beach it was great. I would go back there! One couple did not join us and shopped instead. He as almost pick pocketed twice but they did buy really nice jewelry. They regretted not joining the group. I think it sold out before they booked, but I am not sure.

Cozumel: 2 couples did Eco kayaking and day at Paradise Beach through Carnival. The Eco kayaking in the swamp was not great. It is a funny memory. The Kayaks were bumping into each other and the swamp was mangroves and a little stinky, we didn't see any wildlife. I enjoyed it, the others did not. After the quick kayaking you "race" to the beach where we had a great lunch, Coronas and tequila all included. The beach was beautiful. We had a great time. It was not very crowded. I think they have this excursion minus the Kayak so more time on the great beach. We swayed in hammocks and looked at the water. The others in our group decided to be cheap and head to Mr. Sanchez beach and split nachos. They wished they went with us but did have some funny stories to tell. We all ended at Fat Tuesdays and had a blast! Lots of drinking, dancing and flashing, it was crazy there!

I haven't been to the other two ports, but when we were in Cozumel we did the Dolphin Discovery excursion and had a blast! We booked directly through there website. It is located in Chankanaab National Park where you can also do some snorkeling and swimming at the pool. www.dolphindiscovery.com/cozumel

You can also book the dolphins through Dolphinaris directly as well. My hubby and I are doing the dolphin trainer program ($30 more than the Royal Swim through Dolphin Discovery). Plus it includes 3 drinks, fruit, lunch, t-shirt, and two pictures.

For the other ports we have (Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios), we booked through shoretrips.com. The people there are super helpful!

Good luck!

I've used Island Marketing twice before and they were great (Google them for their website).

I'm planning a beach/snorkel trip in Belize with amphilife tours http://www.tour-belize.net/sea-tours.html#ap, I've also heard good things about Coral Breezes.

Roatan I think I'm going to head to Tabayana with Carnival (and I'm normally not a huge fan of ship sponsored tours, as a rule). It's pretty reasonable ($35 pp), the beach has a lot to offer (and only ship pax can go there) and the shuttles run back to the ship every 30 minutes.

Cozumel, we went to Paradise Beach last time, cabbing it is easy. Check out their huge thread on the Cozumel ports of call board. This time we're doing the Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab with Dolphin Discovery.

Archived