Can one get a top sheet and blanket on Amadeus?

Robyn France

Greetings--just read a wonderful review of the Amacello Danube cruise--however the writer indicated a duvet with no top sheet is provided. Yikes--we hotties could pass out under those circumstance ---Sofitel and some of the French chains doing the same thing but we are able to request top sheet and blanket.

Does anyone know if this is available on Amadeus? Many thanks for your help!:confused:

Robyn France,

Try them! And BTW you still can turn down your AC. Actually those duvets are thin and lightweight. They are "breathing" much better than a woolen blanket. We´re not talking about down feather duvets but high end synthetic fiber.

All high end hotel chains and all cruise ship lines are changing to new bedding including duvets (we had duvets on the NCL Gem in May, RCCL is doing the same).

And to be honest: I´ve never understood how you Americans can sleep with those sheet and blanket stuff :D . I´m always ending up being wrapped up in one of the two things. They never stay together. And regarding the fact that only the sheet is fresh and the blanket is used - without washing - by thousands of others I definitely prefer a duvet with a fresh sheet which can´t "unwrap" itself from the inner duvet.

steamboats

I agree with Steamboat that the duvet was very high quality, but it was too warm. Steamboat, don't you want something over you when you sleep if the room is warm? I just like the feeling of a sheet covering me even when the room is warm. It is just security.

Robin,

When we travel in Europe, we just packed a top sheet for a cover when it was warm. I know Steamboat must think that is strange. :D

Greetings--just read a wonderful review of the Amacello Danube cruise--however the writer indicated a duvet with no top sheet is provided. Yikes--we hotties could pass out under those circumstance ---Sofitel and some of the French chains doing the same thing but we are able to request top sheet and blanket.

Does anyone know if this is available on Amadeus? Many thanks for your help!:confused:

I don't know about the river cruises, but on the ocean cruises, you can request a top sheet and blanket (which we did along with the foam "egg crate" thing if the bed is too hard). When we travel in Europe in the summer, we end up pulling the duvet out of the covering, and just using the covering like a top sheet.

When we get back from our river cruise in early Sept. I'll let you know how the bedding was on that ship.

hcross888,

No one in Germany is sleeping with a sheet and blanket but with duvets :D. And I definitely want something over me and I want to feel it. A sheet is much too less for me. I can´t "feel" it. Must be something heavier for.

Yes, packing a sheet sounds a bit strange for me:). But I know people who are packing sort of silk sleeping bag not to get in contact with linens and sheets or blankets in hotel rooms. After seeing several documentaries about hygenic experts checking the cleanliness of a hotel room it won´t be a bad advice to pack your own sheets.

O.k., I have to admit that of course I´m used to duvets even when it´s hot (and we don´t have AC in our condos/homes). So I´m missing them when I´m in the US. And of course I know that you are used to the sheet/blanket.

steamboats

Thanks for the responses to date. I would still like to know if one can request a top sheet--I am a nut for having one and do not like to sleep "hot"--the quality of the experience is important but if one is too warm and has no options that doesn't work.

Steamboats, I really do love your duvets if it is cold. They are wonderful to snuggle into. But I woke up sweating with that duvet over me on the cruise! The same thing happened to me in Switzerland. You all must just have colder blood.

Robin, I know that Amadeus has blanket because I saw one in our cupboard. If they have a blanket, I'll bet they have a sheet!

Hi Robyn,

I bet a call to Amadeus and/or the TA you booked through would alleviate your concerns. And, perhaps they can put your request within your reservation/booking details.

Requesting a top sheet should be an easy thing to do for you. Hope a call will do just that.

We bought two twin-sized silk duvets for our king bed while in China. The stuffing, not the cover, is made from silkworm cocoons where two larvae occupied the cocoon, making it impossible to unravel the silk thread. The result is incredibly light while preserving a comfortable body temperature.

We live in Chicago and use these duvets every day of the year.

WIT

Robyn France,

Your request is just funny reading regarding the fact that the hotel chains and cruise companies regard it as the lastest fashion upgrade when they change from blanket/sheet to duvets :) .

And BTW there were questions on this board about where to get feather pillows and duvets while being on a European river cruise.

But I totally understand you. Especially with sleeping when you´re used to a - let´s say - certain "arrangement" it´s hard to find a good nights rest with a completely new "environment" which you´re not used to. I definitely have the same problem you got but vice versa.

WIT,

Silk bedding is absolutely great! I do have a thin woolen filling which is just enough to keep the bodytemperature. And I can put it into the washing machine. I use it all over the year and we had temps in the upper 80ies last week (with no AC). I also have brand new feathered duvets with feathers handpicked by my late grandma. I´ve never used them for it never gets cold enough in my condo to use them.

steamboats

I can't speak for your cruise company, but I always request a sheet and blanket when I arrive on board (with Uniworld) and the room steward always happily complies. I, like you, get way too hot under any kind of duvet!:)

Sorry, I don't know about Amadeus but Viking provided a top sheet and blanket with the duvet. I kept putting the duvet on the floor and eventually they just removed it altogether leaving just the top sheet and blanket. Perfect for me.

Contact Amadeus directly, email is probably easiest. I imagine they will provide this for you since they seem to be one of the better lines.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned this! (or if they did, excuse me I missed it!!)

When you sleep with a duvet, you stay as warm OR as cool as you want to be - if you start to get too warm, just stick out your foot, and your whole body cools down. You cannot do this with blankets, and besides, blankets are too heavy!

I don't know anyone here in Europe who sleeps with a sheet and a blanket. It is just too "oldie-worldie" and seriously uncomfortable. Duvets are light, warm when they need to be, and cool when it is hot! Just remember to stick you foot out.:)

Sorry to ask a slightly off-topic question, but I've been wondering how duvets are kept clean -- does one wash the entire duvet, or take the cover off and on regularly to wash it only?

I've always liked duvets, but they seem to be much more of a hassle to clean than sheets if you really have to constantly take the cover off and put it back on again. I had one over 25 years ago and that is how they were made then; I found that I could never get the cover back on again in the right way. Steamboats, you seem to know a lot about them -- can you tell me if they have changed?

Thanks,

Tina

I'm another one of those people that find duvets much too warm. I've tried sticking my foot out but it doesn't work for me. Year round I use only a top sheet and no covers of any kind. My DH is the exact opposite and we have cover battles. ;) I've always wished that I was more cold blooded because it is easier to warm myself up than cool myself off! lol

:)

Amen Skertso--I know the drill well. Anyway, we have requested thru our TA, Amadeus says ask when u get in your room ---so we do hope that will work. Can't go directly to Amadeus as that is going around the TA and their is not really a customer direct line that I am aware of--one is advised to go thru the TA--so great, it will work I am sure. Thanks all for the support on this one important detail.

Sorry to ask a slightly off-topic question, but I've been wondering how duvets are kept clean -- does one wash the entire duvet, or take the cover off and on regularly to wash it only?

I've always liked duvets, but they seem to be much more of a hassle to clean than sheets if you really have to constantly take the cover off and put it back on again. I had one over 25 years ago and that is how they were made then; I found that I could never get the cover back on again in the right way. Steamboats, you seem to know a lot about them -- can you tell me if they have changed?

Thanks,

Tina

Tina,

Usually it´s the cover which is changed (for every new passenger of course, some cruise companies even change it inbetween a week long cruise). BTW it´s easy changing and even less work than washing sheets (at least I prefer the covers which you don´t need to iron:D ). You can usually also wash the duvets itselves (depending on the materials they are made of - microfiber can be washed, I do have washable woolen ones). But that´s something (in a private home) you might be doing once a year. To get the cover back on: You have to turn the cover on the left side, then put your arms inside and grab the duvet. Then you simply turn the cover to the right side over the duvet and shake is until the cover is completely over the duvet. I also prefer covers with zippers instead of buttons.

steamboats

Tina,

Usually it´s the cover which is changed (for every new passenger of course, some cruise companies even change it inbetween a week long cruise). BTW it´s easy changing and even less work than washing sheets (at least I prefer the covers which you don´t need to iron:D ). You can usually also wash the duvets itselves (depending on the materials they are made of - microfiber can be washed, I do have washable woolen ones). But that´s something (in a private home) you might be doing once a year. To get the cover back on: You have to turn the cover on the left side, then put your arms inside and grab the duvet. Then you simply turn the cover to the right side over the duvet and shake is until the cover is completely over the duvet. I also prefer covers with zippers instead of buttons.

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats! It does sound rather simple -- I think I should give it another try!

Tina

Archived