Pre-purchasing wine?

I think I've decided to purchase the 3-bottle wine package for our 7-night cruise rather than the wine card, which I'd previously considered.

Is there an advantage to purchasing this wine package pre-trip as opposed to waiting until we board, other than the obvious advantages of not having to worry about it on the ship and incurring fewer costs during the cruise?

Will we have to make our selections now, or how does that work?

Thanks.

Yes, I've seen threads about the many people that do that.

Do I understand correctly that you can have your cabin steward take it to the dining room ahead of time so you don't have to parade in carrying your bottle? I'm not comfortable doing that. And I know there are some that get charged the corkage and some who don't - assuming I would be charged, it's $10, correct?

My real reservation on this is that we're going to be pushing it as far as weight limits and space in bags.

Thanks.

I think I've decided to purchase the 3-bottle wine package for our 7-night cruise rather than the wine card, which I'd previously considered.

Is there an advantage to purchasing this wine package pre-trip as opposed to waiting until we board, other than the obvious advantages of not having to worry about it on the ship and incurring fewer costs during the cruise?

Thanks.

You can make the selections when you want, you don't have to make them now. I recommend, if you purchase now, that you indicate you want the "gift" delivered to the dining room. You will receive a card in the stateroom indicating that you purchased the selection.

Yes, I've seen threads about the many people that do that.

Do I understand correctly that you can have your cabin steward take it to the dining room ahead of time so you don't have to parade in carrying your bottle? I'm not comfortable doing that. And I know there are some that get charged the corkage and some who don't - assuming I would be charged, it's $10, correct?

My real reservation on this is that we're going to be pushing it as far as weight limits and space in bags.

Thanks.

If you are not comfortable bringing them in perhaps you could bring howver many you brought onboard to the dining room early because they will store it for you. And the corkage fee is now $15.00.

The easy way around that is to buy it at the embarkation port city. Less chance of breakage that way too. :)

Don't overlook the possibility of breakage. It's due to this possibility that I choose to avoid bringing my own, since I am stuck with flying for a while. If you overnight ahead of the cruise, there's the possibility that you could pick something up locally in the port and carry it on yourself.

As another point, the wine stewards will pour so that you get 4 to 4 1/2 glasses per bottle. If your intent is to have a glass of wine each at dinner each night, you will likely come up a bit short with 3 bottles. You can order a glass or two to make up the difference, or ask the steward to be less generous in the pours.

We were advised to not pre-order the wine package, but to order it from the wine steward in the dining room to ensure he receives the gratuity. You'll make your selection at the time each bottle is to be consumed.

Thanks.

In answer to your original question, I think you make your selection once onboard. Each ship is different and has different selections based on what that ship has in inventory. There are basically 2 choices - navigator's or admiral's package - with the admiral's being more pricey.

I have done both - bought a wine card and brought my own wine onboard and into the dining room. On one cruise I was never charged a corkage fee and on the other I was charged.

I'll be honest...I think you obviously get better treatment from the wine steward when you purchase his wine. Otherwise, they begrudgingly open the bottle and sometimes they come back to pour more in your glass and sometimes they don't.

This last cruise I watched the treatment the couple at my table got who purchased the wine package VS my treatment (who brought my own to DR). I pretty much decided that I am going to get either the 3 bottle package or the 5 bottle package because the wine they offered would be fine for my tastes. I watched what the other couple on my cruise had.

For me, I just can't see the advantage to dragging on the wine, then transporting it to the DR and then having to refill my own glass. I had to tip the wine steward either way. Yes, the wine is a little pricey, but still worth the convenience and service. I thought I would want it in the room, but I really didn't drink much of it there - more with my meals. If you want it in the room, take the remainder of one of the bottles to your cabin at the end of the evening!

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Thanks to all for your responses. Based on the feedback and comments, I'm going to not bring it with, but purchase the 3-btl pkg once onboard. Hubby doesn't drink much wine at all (good for me!);) , so 3 btls w/b enough for the week.

Thanks to all for your responses. Based on the feedback and comments, I'm going to not bring it with, but purchase the 3-btl pkg once onboard. Hubby doesn't drink much wine at all (good for me!);) , so 3 btls w/b enough for the week.

Same situation as me - DH didn't drink any wine - likes other types of drinks, so 3 bottles will probably be enough next time for me, too. :)

I do enjoy it with dinner.

We were advised to not pre-order the wine package, but to order it from the wine steward in the dining room to ensure he receives the gratuity. You'll make your selection at the time each bottle is to be consumed.

I'd agree that's good advice. You'd be better off to have the gratuity go to your wine steward.

We were advised to not pre-order the wine package, but to order it from the wine steward in the dining room to ensure he receives the gratuity.
I'd agree that's good advice. You'd be better off to have the gratuity go to your wine steward.
I was told by our wine stewardess on the Zuiderdam that all of the 15% beverage service charges go into a pool to be shared by all the bar staff. It does not matter if these beverages or beverage cards are sold in Seattle (online or on phone), in the terminal waiting room, or on the ship somewhere. The d.r. wine steward gets the same share of the pool whether he/she sells it or not.

However, I do not know if all 14 ships do this pooling, and I do not know if an on-board seller gets some kind of "credit" or "points" for the making the sale.

I was told by our wine stewardess on the Zuiderdam that all of the 15% beverage service charges go into a pool to be shared by all the bar staff. It does not matter if these beverages or beverage cards are sold in Seattle (online or on phone), in the terminal waiting room, or on the ship somewhere. The d.r. wine steward gets the same share of the pool whether he/she sells it or not.

However, I do not know if all 14 ships do this pooling, and I do not know if an on-board seller gets some kind of "credit" or "points" for the making the sale.

I can't imagine how it would "work" any other way. From what I understand, the only ones that can sell the wine packages are those on the wine staff, including the on-board wine store. On embarkation there is usually someone from the wine staff promoting the packages in one of the public areas.

On the Maasdam in Dec. 06, I dealt with one person on the wine staff and made some significant purchases in addition to one of the tastings. While he seemed appreciative and attentive, the impression I got was that this was a result of some sort of employee recognition rather than direct compensation. Since then, I have always arranged packages and cards ahead of time and never had a problem with the service. On the last cruise, the wine steward came to the table and offered the opportunity to go to the first wine tasting, but then quickly followed with the comment that there wasn't much reason for this given the pre-orders I had made. I got the sense that he was supposed to do this as part of his job and had to report back.

We recently did a Heart of Bordeaux cruise on the Prinsendam and somehow a few bottles of vino wanted to hop aboard in France :cool:. Whenever we brought a bottle to either the DR or the PG, we paid the corkage fee. It's interesting how the $15 breaks out - our chit shows it as: Corkage Fee $13.04 & Service Charge $1.96. Now's that a nice profit - but a lousy tip.

Archived