Child Authorization Letter

AttilatheHun

Would anyone know how I should word the letter that my husband will need to sign and get notarized since I will be taking my son with me on the Mexican Riviera cruise and since he is not able to come with us and we are going out of the country I need the letter showing he is aware that we are traveling to Mexico. When my son and I flew to visit our reletives in Canada in 2001 we were almost not allowed out of the airport because I did not have a signed/notarized letter on me.

Thank you.

Actually Disney has a specific form available on their website that we always use for this purpose. I think you have to log into your reservation on their site to access it. The info below is copied from their website FAQ:

"What is the Minor Authorization Form — and how do I complete it?

If you are traveling with a child of whom you are not the parent or legal guardian, you must complete this form and have it notarized by a notary public. You can download the form in a pdf file and print it. Bring the notarized form with you to the port terminal."

Even though it indicates you only need this if you are not the parent we bring it when only one parent is traveling...just to be safe. Hope that helps!

Actually Disney has a specific form available on their website that we always use for this purpose. I think you have to log into your reservation on their site to access it. The info below is copied from their website FAQ:

"What is the Minor Authorization Form — and how do I complete it?

If you are traveling with a child of whom you are not the parent or legal guardian, you must complete this form and have it notarized by a notary public. You can download the form in a pdf file and print it. Bring the notarized form with you to the port terminal."

Even though it indicates you only need this if you are not the parent we bring it when only one parent is traveling...just to be safe. Hope that helps!

Thank you, I say that form but I thought it only applied if the child was not your. I e-mailed Disney and they said I didnt need a letter because he is my son. I needed one in Canada so I will retype the one on the Disney web site and change the wording to fit my situation.

Thanks,

Does your child have a passport? If so, that should be enough especially since both parents have to either be present or have that same form already signed in order for the child to have a passport. :)

I don't think it works like that, because just because a parent signs for a passport, it doesn't mean circumstances don't change.

I don't think it works like that, because just because a parent signs for a passport, it doesn't mean circumstances don't change.

You may be right. I just know for me, I'm a single mother and the father of my sons is not around. I had to prove to the government that I could take my son's out of the country w/o the father's consent (since he can't be found) in order to get their passports. I just can't believe that I (the sole custodial parent) would need to prove that again since it has already been done. If it is good enough for the government I would think it would be good enough for DCL or any other organization. I wouldn't imagine it would be that diffrent w/ a married couple. That is how I was looking at it. However, it isn't like I have never been wrong before.

Does your child have a passport? If so, that should be enough especially since both parents have to either be present or have that same form already signed in order for the child to have a passport. :)

Incorrect, a passport is not permission to travel. You must have permission from both parents for each and every trip. If Disney is saying you don't need anything make sure you get that in writing and take it on the ship. There was a recent thread on cruise critic where grandparents had problems bringing the child on the ship because they didn't have a letter signed by both parents. I will see if I can find it..

Remember these are not rules of the US or the cruise lines. but of the foreign countries you will be visiting. They are trying to prevent child abductions by parents..

Incorrect, a passport is not permission to travel. You must have permission from both parents for each and every trip. If Disney is saying you don't need anything make sure you get that in writing and take it on the ship. There was a recent thread on cruise critic where grandparents had problems bringing the child on the ship because they didn't have a letter signed by both parents. I will see if I can find it..

Remember these are not rules of the US or the cruise lines. but of the foreign countries you will be visiting. They are trying to prevent child abductions by parents..

I can see that in the case of grandparents. They are not custodial parents. However, if I am the custodial parent of my child and have gone through great lengths to prove that to get the passport than I am really confused as to why that would need to be repeated. So, every time I want to take my children out of the country, not only do they need a passport, but I also need to bring w/ me the court documents that say I am a custodial parent? That just does not make sense to me. I looked all over the government website and found no reference to needing to bring anything other than a passport when traveling w/ a child. This was the closest page I found referencing this discussion: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_866.html

and

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

If you can find something that states that as a custodial parent you need other documention besides a passport I would like to see it (not to sound snotty, just generally interested).

I can see that in the case of grandparents. They are not custodial parents. However, if I am the custodial parent of my child and have gone through great lengths to prove that to get the passport than I am really confused as to why that would need to be repeated. So, every time I want to take my children out of the country, not only do they need a passport, but I also need to bring w/ me the court documents that say I am a custodial parent? That just does not make sense to me. I looked all over the government website and found no reference to needing to bring anything other than a passport when traveling w/ a child. This was the closest page I found referencing this discussion: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppi/family/family_866.html

and

If you can find something that states that as a custodial parent you need other documention besides a passport I would like to see it (not to sound snotty, just generally interested).

You aren't looking in the right place. The US might not stop you from leaving, but the countries you are visiting can stop you from entering if you can't prove that you have sole legal and physical custody.

From the Bahama's Consulate to the UN Web Site:

I am traveling with a child who is not my own. Do I need a letter of permission from the child's parent?

While it is not a requirement for The Bahamas, it is advisable to have written consent from the child's parent (s). If the non- custodial parent is traveling with children it is also suggested that a letter of authorization for the children to travel be obtained

Bringing your court papers (or a copy) would be a prudent choice. Keep in mind that itineraries can change without notice, and some countries would require you to have that paperwork for entry, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

FYI--Mexico and Canada now require you to have your court documents in addition to the passport for entry into their borders.

Since even when I had my son's birth certificate copy on me when we went to Canada in 2001 they said they needed a notarized letter from my husband stating that he was giving me permission to take our son our of the country. I have therefore written up a short form type letter listing the Disney Cruise's port's of call and gave it to my husband to sign and get notarized. I do not want to arrive in Cabo just to be told I cannot get off the ship with my son because I do not have that letter. I would rather be safe then sorry.

That is interesting to know. I would have thought since a person has to go through an extensive autherization procedure in order to get a child a passport that would suffice. I had a lot of trouble getting my eldests sons passport (long long story) and would hate to think I would need to do it repeatedly. :eek:

Anytime your ship docks at a new port, you are allowed to get off--no questions asked. The cruise staff just scans your card and away you go. No one from CUSTOMS ever screens the passengers arriving on a cruise ship. Or--at least in my experience we have NEVER come across that--while sailing in the Caribbean.

While cruising in Alaska as well, we were allowed to freely disembark whether we were in Alaska or CANADA. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove inland and at one point had to cross into CANADA via a formal checkpoint. There, it was business as usual, with passports screenings and whatnot.

I'm not sure what the policy is in Europe, but we are traveling there next week so I will report back.

The last two cruises we took, we traveled sans DH. He couldn't join us due to work obligations. While cruising solo with the kids on the those two cruises, I did not take a letter/consent with me, since as I stated earlier, we had never encountered any screening while getting OFF of a ship to visit a port-of-call.

Just my experiences...in the 11 total cruises we have done with our kids.

Hope that helps.

CeleBrat

Anytime your ship docks at a new port, you are allowed to get off--no questions asked. The cruise staff just scans your card and away you go. No one from CUSTOMS ever screens the passengers arriving on a cruise ship. Or--at least in my experience we have NEVER come across that--while sailing in the Caribbean.

While cruising in Alaska as well, we were allowed to freely disembark whether we were in Alaska or CANADA. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove inland and at one point had to cross into CANADA via a formal checkpoint. There, it was business as usual, with passports screenings and whatnot.

I'm not sure what the policy is in Europe, but we are traveling there next week so I will report back.

The last two cruises we took, we traveled sans DH. He couldn't join us due to work obligations. While cruising solo with the kids on the those two cruises, I did not take a letter/consent with me, since as I stated earlier, we had never encountered any screening while getting OFF of a ship to visit a port-of-call.

Just my experiences...in the 11 total cruises we have done with our kids.

Hope that helps.

CeleBrat

The problem is not being allowed off at various ports, what you say is correct, no one checks the paperwork at that point. The problem is not being allowed on the ship period. You can give all the examples you want but all it takes is once. Whatever the cruise lines tells you, get it in writing and take it on board with you along with the relevent documents..

and

As someone else mentioned, it is a problem with the countries you are visiting not the US. The cruise lines are only following the rules set forth by the government of the port you will visit. As I stated in an earlier post, they won't stop you at the gangway getting off the ship they just simply will not allow you on the ship in the originating port. Whatever they tell you get it in writing. This is a common question on the Ask a question board.

Here's a good link that explains many of the requirements. It is for single parent travel but applies in many cases to married couples...

http://www.singleparenttravel.net/Writing/Documentation/index.htm

There are two types of documents that may be needed by children traveling internationally.

The first is identification, which is needed in all cases. This is normally a passport, but until June, 2009, US citizen children under 16 may travel with a birth certificate to Caribbean destinations. Federal law and the Code of Federal Regulations allow a photocopy of a birth certificate to be used, but Disney claims that a copy is not acceptable, and demands a certified copy. By “certified”, they mean a copy of the long-form certificate showing the parents’ names, bearing an embossed seal from a state or local registrar. For that age group, no further identification, such as a photo ID, is needed.

Children not traveling with both of their parents need travel permission authorization. International anti-abduction treaties require clear evidence that both parents have consented to a child’s travel outside of their home country. This applies even if one of the parents is traveling with the children; the non-traveling parent must give permission.

We recently cruised with our three grandchildren, without parents, on the Wonder. One of them has divorced parents, and the other two have married parents. I took three notarized forms: one signed by the divorced father of child A, signed by the divorced mother of child A, and one signed by both the married parents of children B and C. Strangely, Disney never asked to see the parental authorization form at the Port Canaveral check-in, even though two of the grandchildren have different surnames than ours. At Nassau, the stateroom key/ID was the primary document needed to leave or enter the ship, but older travelers also needed a photo ID, such as a passport or driver’s license.

The Disney form is sufficient for getting children without parents onto the cruise, but misses some important issues, such as specific authorization for medical treatment. In some places, a child will not be medically treated without at least one parent’s authorization, so this permission is especially important for grandparents. It may be helpful to also take photocopies of the children’s health insurance cards, although foreign providers may want cash or credit card up front.

If a parent cannot give permission because he or she is deceased, a copy of the death certificate may be needed. In case of a divorce, the non-custodial parent should still provide written authorization because of the abduction issue.

After consulting with Disney and the US State Department, I drafted the following language; this one for the two granddaughters:

AUTHORIZATION FOR A MINOR CHILD TO TRAVEL

A. General Authorization

We hereby certify that we, ____________________ and ____________________, are the mother and father of the minor children, ____________________ and ___________________, (“Daughters”), who are United States citizens born at ______________________, on _________________19__ and _______________, on __________________19__ respectively, and whose legal residence is in the United States of America. Our telephone number is _____________________.

We hereby authorize our Daughters to travel under the responsibility, care, custody, and control of one or both of her grandparents, ____________________, US passport number __________ and ____________________, US passport number _______________, both United States citizens residing at _________________________, for travel commencing _______________, 2008. This permission includes travel within the United States, and outside of the United States to the Bahamas and international waters in the vicinity of Florida and the Bahamas.

This permission specifically includes, but is not limited to, travel on the Disney Cruise Line vessel, “Wonder”, and its ports of call. We further authorize ______________________ to obtain identification required by Disney Cruise Line or others for our Daughters’ travel, specifically including certified copies of their birth certificates.

During the time of such travel, ______________________ and ______________________are authorized, either jointly or individually, to make necessary parental decisions for our Daughters in our place, including any medical and legal actions and decisions of a necessary or emergency nature.

B. Authorization for Disney Cruise Line

We, ___________________ and _____________________, hereby authorize __________________ and/or ____________________ to have care, custody, and control of our minor children, ________________, age ___, and __________________, age ___, and to act and contract on their behalf in connection with the Disney Cruise Line vacation commencing on _______________, 2008.

_____________________________ (mother)

Dated ________________, 2008

_____________________________ (father)

Certificate of Notary:

State of _________

County of ___________

Subscribed and sworn before me on _______________________, 2008 by ___________________ and _________________________.

Appointed Notary

My dd and I have taken many cruises alone. We were never asked for any type of "letter of permission" from my husband, yet I always have it tucked away, just in case.

It would only take that one time and that can ruin a whole vacation.

I will repeat what many have said...Better safe then sorry.

Dawn

There are two types of documents that may be needed by children traveling internationally.

The first is identification, which is needed in all cases. This is normally a passport, but until June, 2009, US citizen children under 16 may travel with a birth certificate to Caribbean destinations. Federal law and the Code of Federal Regulations allow a photocopy of a birth certificate to be used, but Disney claims that a copy is not acceptable, and demands a certified copy. By “certified”, they mean a copy of the long-form certificate showing the parents’ names, bearing an embossed seal from a state or local registrar. For that age group, no further identification, such as a photo ID, is needed.

Children not traveling with both of their parents need travel permission authorization. International anti-abduction treaties require clear evidence that both parents have consented to a child’s travel outside of their home country. This applies even if one of the parents is traveling with the children; the non-traveling parent must give permission.

We recently cruised with our three grandchildren, without parents, on the Wonder. One of them has divorced parents, and the other two have married parents. I took three notarized forms: one signed by the divorced father of child A, signed by the divorced mother of child A, and one signed by both the married parents of children B and C. Strangely, Disney never asked to see the parental authorization form at the Port Canaveral check-in, even though two of the grandchildren have different surnames than ours. At Nassau, the stateroom key/ID was the primary document needed to leave or enter the ship, but older travelers also needed a photo ID, such as a passport or driver’s license.

The Disney form is sufficient for getting children without parents onto the cruise, but misses some important issues, such as specific authorization for medical treatment. In some places, a child will not be medically treated without at least one parent’s authorization, so this permission is especially important for grandparents. It may be helpful to also take photocopies of the children’s health insurance cards, although foreign providers may want cash or credit card up front.

If a parent cannot give permission because he or she is deceased, a copy of the death certificate may be needed. In case of a divorce, the non-custodial parent should still provide written authorization because of the abduction issue.

After consulting with Disney and the US State Department, I drafted the following language; this one for the two granddaughters:

AUTHORIZATION FOR A MINOR CHILD TO TRAVEL

A. General Authorization

We hereby certify that we, ____________________ and ____________________, are the mother and father of the minor children, ____________________ and ___________________, (“Daughters”), who are United States citizens born at ______________________, on _________________19__ and _______________, on __________________19__ respectively, and whose legal residence is in the United States of America. Our telephone number is _____________________.

We hereby authorize our Daughters to travel under the responsibility, care, custody, and control of one or both of her grandparents, ____________________, US passport number __________ and ____________________, US passport number _______________, both United States citizens residing at _________________________, for travel commencing _______________, 2008. This permission includes travel within the United States, and outside of the United States to the Bahamas and international waters in the vicinity of Florida and the Bahamas.

This permission specifically includes, but is not limited to, travel on the Disney Cruise Line vessel, “Wonder”, and its ports of call. We further authorize ______________________ to obtain identification required by Disney Cruise Line or others for our Daughters’ travel, specifically including certified copies of their birth certificates.

During the time of such travel, ______________________ and ______________________are authorized, either jointly or individually, to make necessary parental decisions for our Daughters in our place, including any medical and legal actions and decisions of a necessary or emergency nature.

B. Authorization for Disney Cruise Line

We, ___________________ and _____________________, hereby authorize __________________ and/or ____________________ to have care, custody, and control of our minor children, ________________, age ___, and __________________, age ___, and to act and contract on their behalf in connection with the Disney Cruise Line vacation commencing on _______________, 2008.

_____________________________ (mother)

_____________________________ (father)

Certificate of Notary:

State of _________

County of ___________

Subscribed and sworn before me on _______________________, 2008 by ___________________ and _________________________.

Appointed Notary

Thank you for verifing what I thought was needed. I am suprised the Disney Cruise Line Offical web site does not have different form letter for people to print off depending on which one is needed to be filled out and notirized for the different cruise locations. They just have one for those taking friend's kids on a cruise not for one parent travelers or grandparent travelers. I wrote up a shortend one sort of like yours listing the port of calls in Mexico we will be stopping at. I had him notorize it and I will carry a copy with me along with our son's passport, and birth certificate. 20 years in the Air Force taught me its better to have more documents when traveling internationally then be missing a document and not being able to continue the trip.

Archived