Packing Problems...

C cruzer

Hey! Just came across this thread, thought I'd jump in. Not sure if any of you all are frequent fliers, but I am Medallion on Delta and they not only let you pack a lot more in your bags for no charge, but you also don't get charged for extra baggage. Not sure that Delta is doing that anyhow. But, if you are flying with anyone that is "medallion" or whatever it's called on other airlines, let them check your heavier bags and extra bags and you should check the lighter one. :)

Just a thought - I'm sure it's not too helpful but wanted to add it to your thread. Enjoy your cruises!

I checked our British Airways and I am in luck. We can have two free bags and lucky us they can weigh 51# :p :p each. We also can take on one carry on too.

Allowances for USA, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, South America, Nigeria, Kenya and Ghana

Passenger

Free checked allowance

Adults and children

aged 2 years and over

FIRST and Club World - 3 bags

World Traveller Plus and World Traveller - 2 bags

Maximum dimensions per bag (H+W+L): 158cm (62in)

Maximum weight per bag: 23kg (51lbs)*

Again, be very very careful. Yes, if your flight is BA flight from EU to US you get that for checked. But if booked as a US-EU round trip + a one way segment from Rome to London, those may not apply (checked limits). You need to find out if they were booked through as one segment, or if a RT ticket + a seperate ticket with BA. My parents recently went to Paris, had a RT flight on BA from here to London, then a single flight to Paris & had to check their carry-on because the US size carryone limit is bigger than the EU carry on limit.

Remember, what you posted is the checked allowence. If you plan to carryon two bags, you will be forced in Rome to check one, and PAY for a third checked bag most likely. By one carry on, they mean 1, not a purse and a rolly bag. Make sure to meet the carry on dimensions eactly, they may actually force you to measure/weigh at the gate.

Don't mean to scare you...but better to know now and not have to worry!! We are dealing with the same thing since we are taking 1 bag each, but internal frame pack that is just to tall to be a carryon. The air board is GREAT about looking at a ticket booked through a TA and letting you know what the impact on luggage is. There is a thread about a woman getting charged $1000 for luggage recently and they helped figure out why!

Pegs222

Flying out of London you are allowed the one carry-on like they said, but that includes something like a purse. So be sure you only have one to depart England. Also, be sure to check out BA's charge for overweight/extra baggage. We were told last year extra bag out of UK $2xx if declared online and $3xx if declared at the counter. They have a serious charge for extra/overweight bags. Just be totally sure of BA luggage rules.

Again, be very very careful. Yes, if your flight is BA flight from EU to US you get that for checked. But if booked as a US-EU round trip + a one way segment from Rome to London, those may not apply (checked limits). You need to find out if they were booked through as one segment, or if a RT ticket + a seperate ticket with BA. My parents recently went to Paris, had a RT flight on BA from here to London, then a single flight to Paris & had to check their carry-on because the US size carryone limit is bigger than the EU carry on limit.

Remember, what you posted is the checked allowence. If you plan to carryon two bags, you will be forced in Rome to check one, and PAY for a third checked bag most likely. By one carry on, they mean 1, not a purse and a rolly bag. Make sure to meet the carry on dimensions eactly, they may actually force you to measure/weigh at the gate.

Don't mean to scare you...but better to know now and not have to worry!! We are dealing with the same thing since we are taking 1 bag each, but internal frame pack that is just to tall to be a carryon. The air board is GREAT about looking at a ticket booked through a TA and letting you know what the impact on luggage is. There is a thread about a woman getting charged $1000 for luggage recently and they helped figure out why!

I would rather be scared now Jen then on the day we leave and Mike is screaming at me. Now then I would be scared. I am going to write to our TA and have her check all this out. I do not nor need any problems. Not sure messing with the English airlines is a good idea.

Thanks Jen, most appreciated.

Pegs222

Flying out of London you are allowed the one carry-on like they said, but that includes something like a purse. So be sure you only have one to depart England. Also, be sure to check out BA's charge for overweight/extra baggage. We were told last year extra bag out of UK $2xx if declared online and $3xx if declared at the counter. They have a serious charge for extra/overweight bags. Just be totally sure of BA luggage rules.

Thank you. I am so grateful to you and Jen for setting me straight on this. This is going to cause some problems. I guess I could just put my purse in my suitcase but I so wanted to take my Laptop. I will have this all checked out. Thank you.

My packing list consist of 4 outfits plus what I wear onboard the first day. A sweater for the cold areas like the dining room, and theater. 2 pr of long pants, 2 dresses, and 3 dress tops to go with the pants to be worn to the Dining room. A pair of dress sandals, my walking shoes, and house shoes along with the night clothes and undies.

hubby = 3 polo shirts, his suit and tie, 1 extra pair of jeans, and 4 other tees.

Oh yes, I pack swimsuits in a seperate bag, which i end up using as our carry off bag full of the last day clothes and souvioners.

I fit all my Dh clothes and mine in one suitcase plus the garment bag, and the swimsuit bag.

I recently made reserv. to fly to L.A. next month on SOUTHWEST. I read every word, and it says "NO fees for first bag, nor second bag..." Also allowed a tote bag and purse. So, I guess SW is the exception?

No exception. One carry on plus one personal item (I said purse or computer bag.) Same thing. All airlines, including SW are limiting what can be brought in the cabin. SW has been doing it much longer than any other line.

What I was mainly getting at is that so many folks are complaining about having to pay a FEE for each piece of checked luggage on their airline of choice.

Southwest charges NO fee for any luggage, and it seems they allow more than one piece of checked luggage, since it says "No fees for first bag, nor second bag."

Found this and I so hope it is right.

Hand baggage

2 piece hand baggage allowance for all British Airways flights

The UK Department for Transport has given approval to most UK airports to remove the one-bag restriction on hand baggage. This covers all UK airports that British Airways flies out of and as a result, you can now carry 2 pieces of hand baggage when travelling on all British Airways flights.

The following allowances apply:

The following allowances apply:

· one standard-sized bag - maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)

· In addition, one laptop sized bag, handbag or briefcase

· A 23kg(51lbs) maximum bag weight applies and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.

Well looks good but that word MOST concerns me so I better check that out.

I am sounding so greedy and I do apologize to all that are not allowed 2 Free checked in and 1 Free carry on plus handbag or briefcase. My DH can hold the laptop case or my purse LOL.

No exception. One carry on plus one personal item (I said purse or computer bag.) Same thing. All airlines, including SW are limiting what can be brought in the cabin. SW has been doing it much longer than any other line.

The one carry on plus one personal item has been the policy to a long time. It's just now starting to be enforced from the news stories. I haven't flown in a couple of months so can't personally confirm one way or the other. I hope it is true.

ok people seem to be conflating two issue here (understandably!) -- when people are talking about 1 bag PLUS a hand item, that is for carry on limits, not checked baggage. You can check as much as you want to pay for (up to some limits) but the carry on limits are much more hard and fast -- and what the posters are saying is that in Europe, they take them MUCH more seriously, to the point that if it is only 9.5 inches depth, they will take out a measuring stick or make you stick in bin, and if 9.6 inches, they will make you check and pay extra (3rd) check bag fee. HTH. :)

ok people seem to be conflating two issue here (understandably!) -- when people are talking about 1 bag PLUS a hand item, that is for carry on limits, not checked baggage. You can check as much as you want to pay for (up to some limits) but the carry on limits are much more hard and fast -- and what the posters are saying is that in Europe, they take them MUCH more seriously, to the point that if it is only 9.5 inches depth, they will take out a measuring stick or make you stick in bin, and if 9.6 inches, they will make you check and pay extra (3rd) check bag fee. HTH. :)

Hey Jen :D

Your so right on the measurements:

maximum size of the bag must not exceed 56x45x25cm (22x17.5x9.85in) (including wheels, pockets and handles)

Now I have to figure out just what those measurements mean :p

I'm flying into Paris for a connection to Rome and then back to Paris for a flight home in October. Do the accepted dimensions differ by airline or is it standard for all lines? Is Paris now a problem as well as Rome?

What I was mainly getting at is that so many folks are complaining about having to pay a FEE for each piece of checked luggage on their airline of choice.

Southwest charges NO fee for any luggage, and it seems they allow more than one piece of checked luggage, since it says "No fees for first bag, nor second bag."

Hi Cotton,

I got what you meant, and yes, you are absolutely correct. We just flew SW last month and they even had a sign at the ticket counter advertising the fact. No fees for 1st and 2nd bag, and full credit on your ticket if you need to change it. (this is a big reason why I choose to fly SW if possible).

I've been very pleased w/their service and am thankful that at least *ONE* airline hasn't started charging extra luggage fees (yet!).

I'm flying into Paris for a connection to Rome and then back to Paris for a flight home in October. Do the accepted dimensions differ by airline or is it standard for all lines? Is Paris now a problem as well as Rome?

It all depends on the carrier and ticket. If you booked a ticket to Paris, and seperate flights to Rome, then you Paris to Rome are subject to the intra-euro rules, not the transatlantic allowances. If you booked as one flight and are just connecting, it depends on how the ticket was booked and you should check with airline or TA. Just be aware, that carry on limits are way small! So either plan on having to check you carry on, or be aware if the intra-euro carrier charges for checked. I am on easy jet and had to prepay for checked luggage and can only bring on a tiny purse, rather than the standard american rollybag + purse. I guess the moral of the story is, bring less (if you can)...you will appreciate hauling one manageble bag through cobblestones, connections and customs better anyways :) Especially if you have time on either end, hauling lots of luggage in Europe is much more of a pain than in the US!! But yes, just call your TA, or the EURO airline to check their policies

With the airlines charging for each bag, I need your advice on how to pack light! I would love to check only one bag for 2 people but I always seem to over-pack for cruising. Which suitcase is the lightest, what is the best carry-on, what should we leave at home? Help!!!! Any advice will be appriciated! Thanks!

Pack only booze and you should be fine! :)

Thanks to everyone for the info. Loved the roll and put in shoes idea;) I'm due for a new suitcase so I'm shopping for the lightest. One large suitcase(under 50#) and two carry-ons should work. Thanks and Happy Cruising to all!

Nice thing about Carnival is they do have laundry facilities on board - helped us pack lighter last time and we did laundry mid cruise. 2 loads max.

This helped my packing on my 17 day Mediterranean extravaganza last October that included a 12 day cruise on the Freedom. With 4 days in Rome pre cruise. I did laundry as soon as I boarded. I kept my luggage to one large roll away and a carry on. One trip to Europe I had 4 pieces of luggage. I won't do that again.

Another thing that helps save some room in the suitcase are those space saver plastic bags that you can get at Linens N Things and other stores like that. They have ones specifically designed for traveling and you roll them to let all the air out. I always bring some of these for repacking to go home to make room for souveniers. They work great!

Archived