Thailand for one week

onthelake

We will be in Thailand for one week - approx. the last week in Oct. this year. Anyone have any suggestions for a beach resort? We are a couple with a 15 year old son. Looking for relaxing and safe but not over the top expensive. Thank you.

We will be in Thailand for one week - approx. the last week in Oct. this year. Anyone have any suggestions for a beach resort? We are a couple with a 15 year old son. Looking for relaxing and safe but not over the top expensive. Thank you.

Phuket:)

I second the vote for Phuket, although I have to say that after a week of extensive travel in Thailand, there's wasn't a time or a place where we felt our safety was threatened. The locals are wonderful, generous and kind. We loved our time there and would like to go back for a longer period in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

There are plenty of beach cities in Thailand.

Phuket is a favorite with tourists. But because it's a favorite, that means that its extremely touristy and commercialized and more expensive than most other Thai beach resort cities.

There are other beach destinations that you may want to consider.

Pattaya is within driving distance from Bangkok

Krabi is a great place to go especially if you have someone who enjoys rock climbing

Koh Samui is gorgeous and much less commercialized than Phuket.

• 1 month later...

Phuket is a good tourist destination. if you decide to go here

the holiday inn is a good choice its on Patong beach its far superior to the h/inns in the usa. its only 1 hour flight time but the pre flight time in the airport plus the 50 minute taxi ride to patong all adds up.

pattaya is very dirty and sleazey about 2 hours drive. not my choice.

check this out Hua Hin this is 2 1/2 hours drive from bangkok great beaches and restarauants. the king has residence here its where the wealthy thais have there vacation. there is plenty of shopping and restaraunts. the hotel to book is the Hilton gulf view room or the softiel hotel.it also has a 5 star golf course here.

private transfers cost about $80 this is in a merc or volvo. i have been here 4 times in the last 12 years. if your interested book transfers through the golf course link or ask me in return.enjoy Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

Phuket - we took our 15 year old sons there last year and they had a great holiday, there is lots for them to do and everything is sooooo cheap compared to the US or Europe. It is though very touristy and you will see several lady boys when our and about in the evening!!!! The Holiday Inn in Patong is great because it is central and literally across the road from the beach, plus walking distance to some very reasonably priced restaurants.

Hua Hin - this is a smaller resort approx a 3 hour drive from Bangkok. The Hilton have a good hotel their in the centre of town. It is a smaller town, but still has very good restaurants, markets etc.

Pattaya - I wouldn't take a teenage boy there - way too much information/sensory overload for a 15 year old !! The sex industry is very much in your face there.

Phi Phi Island - absolutely beautiful, but very small and quiet. The only way to reach it is a 2 hour boat ride from Phuket. You can though do a day trip from Phuket, which is an absolute must.

Bangkok - my boys actually liked staying there, they were amazed at the night markets and the very upmarket shopping centres.

Thank you everyone. We are leaving in two weeks since we have a 38 day cruise which is 'delivering' us to Laem Chabang and we Still haven't decided what to do. At least there are plenty of hotel rooms in Thailand so I don't think not having plans should be too much of a problem.

Archived