Lobster

soam2005

Good grief, there are already 10-11 pieces of silverware on the table. You mean there are MORE!!!

One night, I actually legitimately used all my pieces of silverware. Lights flashed, sirens screamed, the wait staff broke out into song and one of the Officers brought me a coupon for dam dollars. :-)

ANOTHER thing I love about HAL. The steward brings me a fish knife when I order fish. Not too many restaurants (not to mention cruise ship dining rooms) do that much lately.

It's noticed and appreciated. :)

Oh my goodness........ clams without the bellies aren't clams. :D

We are in the clam capital of the world living close enough to Ipswich, MA. I don't believe anyplace in the world can duplicate well prepared Ipswich fried clams.

The clam beds are all open now though there was some red tide earlier in the season.

Happy clamming! :D

Oh my, sail, you're making me hungry. Sadly, besides Maine lobster, my favorite are whole bellied clams (clam strips don't count, IMO).

Woodman's in Essex and the Clam Box in Ipswich are wonderful. My cousin lives in Hamilton, and when we're up there, we try to stop at Woodman's. For a "quick fix" on the Cape, we love Cooke's Seafood for their fried clams.

As you know, we're on an island south of the Cape in the summer...and there aren't any decent places here for "real" fried clams. Lobster, yes; clams, no.

Woodman's is Legendary. We have several places near us that serve great clams but that's a huge no-no for me. I might have some in Bar Harbor on our cruise. One lunch isn't apt to kill me. I try hard to eat what I should.

Oh my, sail, you're making me hungry. Sadly, besides Maine lobster, my favorite are whole bellied clams (clam strips don't count, IMO).

Woodman's in Essex and the Clam Box in Ipswich are wonderful. My cousin lives in Hamilton, and when we're up there, we try to stop at Woodman's. For a "quick fix" on the Cape, we love Cooke's Seafood for their fried clams.

As you know, we're on an island south of the Cape in the summer...and there aren't any decent places here for "real" fried clams. Lobster, yes; clams, no.

I was just about to ask if Cooke's was still around. We tried them on a trip to the Cape quite a few years ago and really enjoyed the fried clams there.

at Howard Johnson's restaurants. They had tails, bellies and great flavor. I now prefer steamers of long neck clams. Most fried clams don't have much beside grease and breading. Unfortunately I am living in Florida and we don't see soft shell clams often. But then we do get stone crabs (sometimes shipped in from Chile)

I was just about to ask if Cooke's was still around. We tried them on a trip to the Cape quite a few years ago and really enjoyed the fried clams there.

Their fried clams are the best (I'm not alone...each year, they're voted the best on Cape Cod!). We drive by it whenever we go back to our home on the mainland or vice versa. Stopping there is one of the guilty pleasures we allow ourselves. ;)

Their fried clams are the best (I'm not alone...each year, they're voted the best on Cape Cod!). We drive by it whenever we go back to our home on the mainland or vice versa. Stopping there is one of the guilty pleasures we allow ourselves. ;)

Thats what made us stop there in the first place, We had seen some ad claiming they were voted "Best Fried Clams" (by whoever it is that does the voting:)) so being the big fried clam lover I am I had to check that out. *LOL*

God they were soooooooo good :)

We went back on several occasions , but that was quite a few years ago. Glad that they are still around. Just may have to do a road trip *LOL* :)

Being near Boston, we certainly have many places that serve fried clams all the time all around us. We never get them as we know if we give in once, it will become 'more than once'. We do sometimes get them when we sail Maasdam to Bar Harbor etc Geez....we're human!!! :D But in Prince Edward Island, we get the mussels. They are soooo good!!

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=9a69237b-1ecf-499c-9231-ad380b02c2a3&Aux=44|0|8CAB1597997C050|

sorry - I couldn't resist. DD''s BF caught this BIG ONE March 2008 in Flort Lauderdale in 15' water! :D Yeah, I know but its the Caribbean crawfish. Heck -its alomost 1/3 her total body size. Cute - ain't he. Personally - I don't eat seafood you guys can have my portions - I just luv to snorkel with alll the marine critters.

Leah, RN

Good grief, there are already 10-11 pieces of silverware on the table. You mean there are MORE!!!

One night, I actually legitimately used all my pieces of silverware. Lights flashed, sirens screamed, the wait staff broke out into song and one of the Officers brought me a coupon for dam dollars. :-)

Yes -- there is more silverware.

The fish forks aren't placed on the table. But they are supposed to be given to you when you have shrimp cocktail, escargo, lobster tails, crab legs, etc.

HAL was very good at one time at giving them to you -- now if you want one you usually have to ask for it.

Some of the servers don't even know what they are.

ANOTHER thing I love about HAL. The steward brings me a fish knife when I order fish. Not too many restaurants (not to mention cruise ship dining rooms) do that much lately.

It's noticed and appreciated. :)

We always know when we have a new server. A couple of times when DH has ordered fish, no fish knife was brought to the table. When DH asked for one, the server asked what it looked like. DH told him that it looks like a butter knife but larger. The servers found them.

Can anyone explain to me why we need so many different types of utensils? Let's start with the basics: why can't a salad be eaten with the same size fork as a piece of meat? I can see a use for a small fork to pick crab or lobster meat out of a shell, and a larger spoon for soup than stirring coffee, but why does escargot need a special size fork? Why can't fish be cut with a "roast beef" knife? It all seems so silly to me. :p :p

But John.......... HOPEFULLY the fish is light and flaky. I heavy beef knife would be hard on the delicate sole. :D It's just one of the nicities HAL still offers us. Don't you set your table with three forks, three knives, multiple spoons when you have your friends for dinner?? :D

How about the continental style for settings at the top of the plate? I love it. I also love the way HAL stewards place the utensil you will be using for each course out for you when he serves the dish.

We always know when we have a new server. A couple of times when DH has ordered fish, no fish knife was brought to the table. When DH asked for one, the server asked what it looked like. DH told him that it looks like a butter knife but larger. The servers found them.

A fork is a fork is a fork. Does the taste of the food depend upon the size of the fork you use to eat it with?

IMHO, the description that I would use for people who insist upon 5 different forks for a meal is "food snob".

DON

No one insists on multiple dining utensils. That is how the lovely table settings are done. Beautiful dinnerware, polished silver flatware and sparkling goblets. Starched white linens and pretty flowers on the table. Is something wrong with enjoying that on vacation or anytime for that matter?

A fork is a fork is a fork. Does the taste of the food depend upon the size of the fork you use to eat it with?

IMHO, the description that I would use for people who insist upon 5 different forks for a meal is "food snob".

DON

Well, one could also eat with one's hands, why bother with utensils? :D

No one insists on multiple dining utensils. That is how the lovely table settings are done. Beautiful dinnerware, polished silver flatware and sparkling goblets. Starched white linens and pretty flowers on the table. Is something wrong with enjoying that on vacation or anytime for that matter?

I admit it is nice to see the table all done up with an arsenal of utensils:) and all the different glasses, and the napkins folded in pretty shapes .

But I agree some of it is a little overkill.

I always think of the movie "Pretty Woman" when I see a table like that *LOL*

The lovely way the dining room is set is what makes the whole cruising experience so special. It's also why I want to get dressed up on formal night, so I feel special in a special place. Many lovely restaurants are done the same way. it's great. SOmething pretty to look forward to.

They are not lobsters. They are large crustacians (sp?).

Lobsters must have claws and tails and be caught off the coast of Maine.

DON

I'm not sure where you get your info.....but you need to recheck it.

All lobsters are crustacians, and not all lobsters have claws.

And lobsters come from other places than our northeast waters.

Lobster, From Wikipedia

Clawed lobsters compose a family (Nephropidae, sometimes also Homaridae) of large marine crustaceans.

Though several different groups of crustaceans are known as "lobsters," the clawed lobsters are most often associated with the name. Clawed lobsters are not closely related with spiny lobsters or slipper lobsters, which have no claws (chelae), or squat lobsters. The closest relatives of clawed lobsters are the reef lobster Enoplometopus and the three families of freshwater crayfish.

I'm not questioning the number of utensils as much as the variety of sizes and styles. I can see having a clean fork for salad, entree, and dessert, but why must they be different sizes? For that matter, why do you need a fish knife at all? I don't ever remember having a piece of fish that I couldn't break apart with my fork! I'm not sure I'd be happy with fish that needed a knife!! :)

Perhap's Dante's Inferno can shield some light on the issue:

1. First Circle - Those who stole meat.

2. Second Circle - Those who ate meat on a Friday.

3. Third Circle - Those who ate meat with a fish fork!:eek:

Bon Appetit!

PS -- It truly is helpful to have the correct utensil

Since this our first cruise on HAL, can you tell me how much folks tip when you have a whole dinner brought to your room? On other cruise lines we have ordered coffee/juice/danish in the morning and have given a couple dollars; but want to know the appropriate amount for a meal?

Thanks in advance!

Archived