Westerdam a floating "Sizzler Restaurant"

TomXXX

We're talking about food places!:eek:

I thought "How wonderful, no McD's" in China, but saw an arch just before we got to the train station. :mad:

I've seen the Golden Arches in just about every port we stopped at on my TransAtlantic cruise in April 2007 ... even on a quaint cobblestone street in Venice.

Trust me, they are absolutely EVERYWHERE.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Do you mean Texas Roadhouse (might be what they call them here) The places where they give you all the peanuts *LOL*

They have excellent steaks :) Not the classiest ambience in the world, but the food is very very good.

I was just going to ask the same question. We have one of them here and I went there once and didn't enjoy it. But maybe I didn't order the right thing. Think I'll go back and give them another try.

I think Longhorn is the one where you throw the peanut shells on the floor? My father hates that. I think it's funny. Try that one in the Pinnacle! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes.....that is the name of the place that closed. We never went through the door.

I rarely do.

About eight months ago, dad found out that they had a breakfast buffet on the weekends and asked me if I wanted to go. He wanted to try it. This was probably last fall. Despite my better judgment I agreed because I generally enjoy breakfast "buffets" in the Lido on HAL. Well, I missed two nights of work with a bum stomach after that breakfast.

I should have known better. I had had bad experiences eating there before.

So I told dad after that ... never again. Find someone else to go there with you because I'm not.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You're not saying it, but I will: I think the OP is a "regular" poster who came on with a new screen name and a gross exaggeration just to stir up a hornet's nest.

I think you're exactly right. The "XXX" gave it away for me. What's funny is the first couple of posts address the poster and then from then on, it becomes a general chatter thread about restaurants. lol I'm sure not exactly the hornet's nest the OP had hoped for! :)

Nice to see there's no hornet's nest....whether that was OP's intention or not. Doesn't matter, It didn't happen. Congrats everyone. WE 'done' good. :D

And now all this talk of food and I'm hungry. Think I'll head down to the Golden Arches. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree there is no place we have traveled that we have not seen a Golden Arches and are happy to see them..... they always have clean restrooms. :D

We go in, buy a soft drink and use the restrooms whenever we are traveling, particularly in Europe.

I agree there is no place we have traveled that we have not seen a Golden Arches and are happy to see them..... they always have clean restrooms. :D

We go in, buy a soft drink and use the restrooms whenever we are traveling, particularly in Europe.

LOL ... what? No Big Mac?

You don't know what you're missing! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have to weigh in on this thread...

I have eaten in some of the finest steak houses in NY - I have been blessed living here all my life, and have done a few good ones in LA, Vegas, etc. I have had seafood from Wildwood Crest to Montauk, NY, and there is nothing better than a Maine Lobster that was caught half an hour ago.

But until someone can figure out how to get Morton's to float in the Med, so I can place my order while watching the lava and smoke flow from a volcano, or whilst departing ports anywhere between Gibraltar and the Bosphorus Straits, I will just take my "Sizzler" Steak, and enjoy it immensely.

If you want a four-star steak - go to Bobby Vans or Maxwell's, if you want to dine with the greatest people in the world, on the most classic cruise ships afloat, head to the Pinnacle Grill! :cool:

We're talking about food places!:eek:

I thought "How wonderful, no McD's" in China, but saw an arch just before we got to the train station. :mad:

The first time I went to the UK (1988) for a friend's wedding they picked me up at the airport and drove 25 miles north of London where they lived. I was excited being in a new country! We had to do a quick stop in the local mall and as we turned into it I saw Toys R Us, Pizza Hut and McDonald's. What a let down.

If you want a four-star steak - go to Bobby Vans or Maxwell's, if you want to dine with the greatest people in the world, on the most classic cruise ships afloat, head to the Pinnacle Grill! :cool:

Berns teak House in Tampa gets our vote for a great steak in a great atmosphere.

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

Where else can you get a tour of the wine cellar and also be moved for dessert in their famous dessert room.

Remember Horn & Hardart? We had one not far from our house that was actually a restaurant-style one, as opposed to cafeteria-style. I remember enjoying many a good meal there when I was a teenager.

You're right ... this makes me feel very, very old. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I remember them, but don't think I ever went to one. If I did I was very small.

My Mom was born in Brooklyn and worked in NYC for many years. She allwyas talks about them. Even though they were cafeteria like and you opened all the little doors to get your food. It was all freshly made in a huge kitchen behind those little doors.

Around here Texas Roadhouse is the place where you throw the peanuts all over . We go quite often and the steaks and ribs are excellent. I know they have a few in Fla. too.

Like I said not the classiest place, but the food is great IMO

Longhorns just opened around here and we tried it a few weeks ago. Thought they were very good too.

OK you Steakhouse trivia fans *LOL*

Does anyone remember Vallee's Steakhouses ?

Oh, yes! Mine was in Hartford CT, near Brainerd Field. Very, very busy for the first couple of years after it opened. :)

my family had something they called steak for dinner occassionaly. I think it was venison or horse meat since it was overcooked and very tough. After the war my dad took us to the Black Angus, a fine steak house in Manhattan and I started to cry because I thought the steak there would be like at home. Boy, was I surprised. We had a double sirloin, medium rare, and from then on all I wanted to do was to go out for steak.

Later we went to The scribes, Chandlers, Gallaghers, Chris Cellar,Pen and Pencil, The Palm, Al Whites and the Old Homestead on Long Island and as I got older and bought my own meals, Morton's, Ruth's Chris, Pietros and others in New York. Today, I still go to the Palm in Florida several times a year and other upscale steak houses. The $40 steak doesn't bother me as I can afford this several times a year and when cruising I sometimes choose the specialty dining room for steak. The best one I have had on board was at the Golden Fleece on Carnival Legend. The main dining room food was terrible but the 48 oz porterhouse was outstanding, equal to any NY steak house. So that's my story and I hope you enjoyed it.

Oh, yes! Mine was in Hartford CT, near Brainerd Field. Very, very busy for the first couple of years after it opened. :)

There was also one in Stratford, and West Haven . They were quite popular .

Thats where I had my first lobster. *LOL* I think I was 8 or 9

I have been addicted ever since :)

The best steaks I've ever had were grilled right here on my own patio. In this area of the midwest, we are able to buy beef by the whole or half - direct from the farmer. It goes to the butcher of our choice and is cut to our liking. While we haven't done that in a very long while, it was a way of life while we were raising a family. Can you imagine hamburgers that taste and feel like filet? It was wonderful, though I have to admit the Pinnacle Grill is my next choice.

No, they don't. We went to a McDs in Rome in search of a restroom (in a shopping area in the vicinity of the Pantheon) ... and it was the worst restroom I had been on the entire cruise - worse than anything in Egypt, Turkey, the tour buses ... it was horrible!!

But, getting back on topic ... we're going out to dinner & a movie tonight ... can anyone say steakhouse?? For some reason, I've got a huge hankering for a nice juicy steak!! :D

Okay, we've had entirely too much talk here of fine entrees we are enjoying after becoming affluent. How about talking about our favorite snacks from our lean, aka broke flat, years.

My favorite, hands down, was a six ounce bottled coke into which I dumped a bag of salted Tom's peanuts. Now that was real living.

Okay, we've had entirely too much talk here of fine entrees we are enjoying after becoming affluent. How about talking about our favorite snacks from our lean, aka broke flat, years.

My favorite, hands down, was a six ounce bottled coke into which I dumped a bag of salted Tom's peanuts. Now that was real living.

OK - as one of 9 children in a working class family ... we had spaghetti with milk sauce for dinner on a regular basis. To this day, I remember how much I liked it - though DH about had a stroke when I fixed it for him as a newlywed. Didn't make that mistake again.

Ahhh......yes, those lean years. Cheap frozen pot pies and minute rice with margarine and sugar! Now many decades later, that doesn't sound at all appealing. :rolleyes:

When I was a kid I loved Chung King Chicken Chow Mein . *LOL* It used to come in two separate cans that were sealed. One can was the chicken and vegetables in sauce. The other can were the noodles.

This would kill my mother who still is the worlds greatest cook. (everything from scratch). But that is what I used to like *LOL*

Archived