Reviews of Azamara

tory707

Hi Steve,

Which cruise in September? We booked the Journey for 13 September.

Gitte

Hi to Gitte and to Tgg and for the nice comments. Kate and I are booked on the Sept 27 Rome to Rome. We have been on this trip before but love the ship [as you can tell] and are looking forward to seeing the sights we missed.

We still do not understand the negative reviews but can tell by this posting that there are many fans of Azamara

Looking forward to travelling with you again on Azamara.

Steve

When it boils down to cost though ..........Princess handling of their 3 R class ships Tahitian /Pacific and Royal equals Azamara and O and in fact with the exception of their abject refusal to institute the same non smoking policy and offer anytime dining in the restuarant ...........Princess is likely to win in most instances

Princess has some very interesting Alaska itineraries on the Tahitian Princess, to be renamed the Ocean Princess next year and yes, their pricing is better. However, as you have stated, "their abject refusal to institute the same non smoking policy and offer anytime dining in the restaurant" prohibits us from trying out ANY Princess ship, despite the fact that we have Platinum status on the line.

I do not understand why Princess allows smoking throughout most of their ships, even though the vast majority of their clients do not smoke and object to the smokiness of their ships.

Princess has some very interesting Alaska itineraries on the Tahitian Princess, to be renamed the Ocean Princess next year and yes, their pricing is better. However, as you have stated, "their abject refusal to institute the same non smoking policy and offer anytime dining in the restaurant" prohibits us from trying out ANY Princess ship, despite the fact that we have Platinum status on the line.

I do not understand why Princess allows smoking throughout most of their ships, even though the vast majority of their clients do not smoke and object to the smokiness of their ships.

Im with you..I love Azamara for their smoking (non) policy..it makes the trip so much better not to have to worry about smelling smoke on the balcony while you are out there having a glass of wine or eating..and the non formal policy is the best..being from California..we do not dress here at all any more so wouldnt even have formal wear (that fits me) to take on a formal cruise!!

Jancruz1

The

• 1 month later...

We've cruised Renaissance, just did Oceania Greek Isles last month and just booked Azamara for Caribbean. Azamara and Oceania offer pretty much the same Caribbean cruises, Azamara was a much better buy. I think you have to try it for yourself and find your niche.

According to Azamara website FAQs - there are 2 designated smoking areas on Journey (and I presume on Quest) -one in a section of the Looking Glass Lounge and one on the deck. It seems to say as well that the shore excursions are non-smoking (a little vague in its expression).

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the the Azamara Journey for it's last "shake down" cruise. We had taken names and cabin numbers from CC roll call. I handed the list to Lysl (who was the staff representative for future bookings and Celebrity "frequent traveler" program.

Lysl arranged for the MOST WONDERFUL meet and greet. We were served champagne and hor dorves (sp.). Then she brought in the ENTIRE Senior Staff officers on the ship. They were ALL there to introduce Azamara and the "new" amenities and service expected on the ship.

We were lucky to be invited to the Captain's Table for dinner, where we met Staff Captain, Carl Smith, who at the conclusion of our cruise would become Captain (master) of the vessel (at age 32). He was FANTASTIC. I have never seen a Captain as people oriented (except for the Captain of the Prinsendam who has been with the ship since it's introduction as the Viking something).

At dinner, he explained that most of the staff ORIGINALLY came from Celebrity ships, but the "new" culture of Azamara did not "fit" with the training the staff got on Celebrity. At that point in time, a new staff (much younger and with less experience) was hired and trained on the "new" culture of Azamara. I would imagine the negative comments came from folks who had no "patience" with the new staff in training. The more cruises the staff experienced, the better they got in doing their job. One thing that cannot be disputed is the staff's desire to please.

Remember, when I was on the ship, Captn Smith was ONLY Staff Captain, although he had assumed most responsibilies of the Captain. I remember one day when the ship's stacks spewed ashes all over the pool area. You know how difficult it is to clean up black ash. Within minutes Staff Captain Smith, along with dancers, entertainers, and other staff personnel were up on deck cleaning the ashes from the deck, the pool, etc. Any passenger clothing affected by the ashes was cleaned for free. Captain Smith was out there with brooms and bucket doing quite of the bit of work himself. I was VERY impressed.

We were so impressed with our cruise on the Journey, that we signed up (on the spot) for an April, 2009 cruise on the Quest from Singapore to Athens. I only wish Captn. Smith (and Lysl) are on the Quest. These folks and the rest of the staff are FIRST RATE.

I am allergic to the sulfites in wine. Consequently, I do not drink wine nor do I partake in salads (since salads use sulfites to stay "fresh"). On my first dinner meal on the Journey, I had the appetizer and soup. Then I had a "sulfite attack". I asked the waiter what I ate that had sulfites and he sent over the restaurant matre' de. He explained to me that ALL soups and sauces are wine based in the kitchen. The matre' de suggested that I special order tomorrow's dinner in the evening and my dinners will be "specially made" without sulfites. At the conclusion of dinner, he brought the following nights menu for my choices.

Remember that Azamara is TOTALLY open seating, yet EVERY EVENING, the matre' de recognized me as I entered the dinning room, spoke with our waiters about my "special" dinners and again, every night at the conclusion of dinner, showed me the next nights menu so that I can make my choices.

I have NEVER experienced service like it.

Passengers can complain all they want, but I will tell you that I was definitely impressed with EVERYTHING about Azamara. Remember, I was on one of the early "shakedown" cruises where training and forming their "image" was very important in building their new name and reputation.

• 1 month later...

Our review on the main inaugural of the Quest in November 2007 was not great but written in a fun style and was well-received. The cruise got better and better as the 2 weeks went on. When it ended we didn't want to get off!

We sail on her again next week and can't wait.

Hi Tory !

I agree with the other posters. Most of the disappointing reviews were from Azamara's very early sailings. The vast majority of the more recent reviews have been excellent.

My advice ? Dont worry, and make your own judgements. Enjoy your Cruise !

That is exactly it. Try it it and then make-up your own mind.

We are going to do exactly that. Based on what I have read here, my expectation is that the only disappointment we will have will be related to the RCL announcement that it is not planning to expand the Azamara fleet. Azamara is exactly the direction that we would like to take with respect to our future cruise choices, and we would prefer to stay within the X family to do it. Lets hope RCL has a change of heart.

We had a great cruise on Journey. The only complaint we had was we thought they should have more bottles of wine in the $25 - $40 price range.

We did a back to back boarding Century on 9/29/08, and the Journey experience was much better than Century (Not that we wouldn't sail Century again). Better food, great crew. The public areas are smaller, as Journey is a smaller ship - so less shopping and smaller shows.

At our cc gathering, the cruise director told us they try to have a cc gathering even if they don't have 25 people sign up. We also got to meet the senior officers (including the Captain) and talk with them, one on one.

When we were disembarking, the Captain was outside the ship to shake our hands and say goodbye. What a nice send off!

~ Jane

Our review on the main inaugural of the Quest in November 2007 was not great but written in a fun style and was well-received. The cruise got better and better as the 2 weeks went on. When it ended we didn't want to get off!

We sail on her again next week and can't wait.

Hi Cruisers !

I wanted to wish you a wonderful Cruise, and I hope you will report back when you arrive home. Bon Voyage !

I am wondering who the Captain is? and who the food a beverage mgr is, and who is the captain's club host.... and any other info you may have. We are leaving Oct 30th. Was your sailing sold out? Who is the entertainment? Lots of questions!! Thank-you

• 8 years later...

I am allergic to sulfites. Sulfites are a preservative that is found in wine and salad bars. I know to stay away from those foods. The first night at dinner, after eating the soup and appetizer, I had a "sulfite attack". I asked the waiter if there were sulfites in anything that I had eaten. He brought over the restaurant matre de. I was told that ALL soups and sauces are wine-based, and that if I would order my food the night before, it would be made special for me without sulfites. Ok with me.

Every night thereafter, when I entered the dining room (remember open seating, varying times each night), the matre de would follow me to my table and tell our waiter that there was a special order for me. Amazing!! Every night.

This post was many years ago. I am also severly alergic to sulfites. Has anyone in the not so distant future had any experience with this issue while on board?

I should have checked my post. Severely allergic and in the not too distant past!

Whilst perhaps not exactly allergic, one of us has issues with sulfites and it has never been a problem to choose items that would not have them as ingredients.

The servers should be able to provide information about particular foods and possible additives.