Room below nightclub okay?

day11

Hey, we're due to sail on the Zuiderdam in a week! Hooray. And we booked the cheapest room on a guarantee, over 6 months ago, and I am a former HAL crusier. When I checked our actual room location, I found that we were in a J class room (interior), which is 3 or 4 steps higher then we originally booked. And we're on the lowest deck, which I know isn't preferrable, but I'm okay with. The only problem I see is that our room is directly below the Nightclub. So my question is, given that this is HA and all, is that such a bad spot? On Carnival or such, I'd be more worried, but is HA tamer and thus quieter? What time does the nightclub close? Is it noisy, or okay? Does anyone use the nightclub? We're planning on bringing earplugs regardless, but I'm just wondering if anyone has experience or advice in this area. Thanks!

Ah! The joys and happiness of Guarantee Cabin "pot luck."

If we told you it was quiet from last time, and it was loud this time

(each sailing is different people, etc). You would be disappointed.

And if we told you that it was loud, loud, loud, you might cancel

and miss out on a wonderful quiet cruise.

I guess you'll know when you get there. But, you ARE on a cruise!

And that is a good thing.

All best wishes.

I know this may not really be comparable...but my husband and I stayed in a room that was in a room directly above a historic bar...there was some bar noise and we were warned before hand of the possible noise. ...every night I would drift off to the sound of the music and happy sounds. I found it delightful.

• 7 years later...

I have been in any number of J-cabins on Main Deck on the various Vista and Signature class ships. I have never had a problem with noise from above.

That is not to say you won't; you may be a lighter sleeper than I am. But it certainly should give you hope that all will be well.

I don't know why you say Main Deck isn't preferable. I love it down there. Those cabins are huge, the location is stable in rough seas, and it's convenient to so many things. Coming "home" from the show at night is easy.

Hi Ruth,

I just booked the VOV for next July, an L on the main deck forward. Any comments on those cabins? Thanks.

Congratulations on picking a great cruise. There's a port or two changed every year, just to keep it interesting, but each one has something to offer.

I'm not sure which ship is doing this cruise next year; the Rotterdam? I think I read that.

The L-category cabins are your customary "large" insides, which is a good-sized cabin with a nice arrangement. For my taste, though, the one you have chosen is a little too far forward. In rough seas, and there sure can be some on this route, it would be one wild ride.

Now, there was the year I took this cruise and it was smooth sailing for all 34 days, so you may be all right. But if possible, I would try to move aft of the forward elevator bank, or at least closer to it.

Congratulations on picking a great cruise. There's a port or two changed every year, just to keep it interesting, but each one has something to offer.

I'm not sure which ship is doing this cruise next year; the Rotterdam? I think I read that.

The L-category cabins are your customary "large" insides, which is a good-sized cabin with a nice arrangement. For my taste, though, the one you have chosen is a little too far forward. In rough seas, and there sure can be some on this route, it would be one wild ride.

Now, there was the year I took this cruise and it was smooth sailing for all 34 days, so you may be all right. But if possible, I would try to move aft of the forward elevator bank, or at least closer to it.

Thanks Ruth! Yes, the Rotterdam. I realized after I booked that there is "empty space" above my reserved cabin, so I'm looking elsewhere.

Our last HAL cruise was on an outside cabin on the Westerdam and was directly beneath the Northern Lights night club. Yes we could hear the thump of the music, but it wasn't overbearing and it turned out to be only a minor nuisance.

It wouldn't be our first choice but its not so bad that if you're budget concious that it would be a deal breaker

I don't have nearly the experience on HAL as others (just back from my third cruise with them) but in all three cases the nightclub was dead as a doornail by about 11 PM. Maybe it's the itineraries we choose (lots of ports with early days) or maybe it's the clientele that is attracted to HAL (let's face it, this is not the cruise line of 20 year old partiers) but by midnight the only folks up and about were in the Lido eating. That's the place you can find company 24 hours a day.