Boarding with Bottles of Wine

julpet01

Want our 1st cruise to be special...dreaming of lounging on the balcony...having a few glasses of wine that I've brought onboard.

I've read on the posts that we can take bottles of wine aboard. My question is.....does my wine go into checked baggage; or do I pack in a carry-on bag?

PS I've put 12 bottles of water and 12 diet cokes in a suit case & WOW is is heavy. Does the weight matter?

Carnival's faq says one bottle of fine wine for a special occassion per cabin. You can carry that bottle on with no problem. If you're taking more than one bottle, then it'll need to go into your checked luggage. FYI, I don't know how strictly they enforce that one-bottle rule.

Just checking, does it say one bottle of wine per stateroom or one bottle per person?

Betsy, I'm looking at the new Welcome Aboard booklet I rec'd with my docs.

"LIQUOR AND BEVERAGE POLICY

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room....."

So, as you can see, it does not specify the number of bottles allowed. I would think, since it does say "corkage fee per bottle", more than one is acceptable.

We just returned from the Miracle out of Baltimore. Carried 3 bottles of wine in my carryon. When x-rayed, they couldn't tell if it was liquor or wine so they sent me over to another employee who looked at the bottles (they were wrapped in bubble wrap inside a beach-style bag). No problems, just an extra minute or so during check-in. Our steward kept a collapsible cooler in our room full of ice all week (gave him an extra $20 tip since he did such a great job for us). We brought a 20-pack of Bud Light and a 12-pack of Diet Cokes in a checked bag. No issues whatsoever. They still got $200 bar bill out of us!

Phil and Jennifer

Betsy, I'm looking at the new Welcome Aboard booklet I rec'd with my docs.

"LIQUOR AND BEVERAGE POLICY

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board. Fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the dining room....."

So, as you can see, it does not specify the number of bottles allowed. I would think, since it does say "corkage fee per bottle", more than one is acceptable.

Not doubting what the welcome aboard booklet says! But, I knew I read somewhere that it was only one bottle per cabin. 0518.gif

Here's what Carnival's website says:

Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board.

One bottle of fine wine or champagne, per stateroom, may be brought on board during embarkation only. If the wine and/or champagne is brought to the Dining room for consumption, a $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged to the guest; otherwise, the guest may only drink the wine and/or champagne in the privacy of a stateroom. The wine and/or champagne may NOT be brought into any other public lounge or area.

I think where the problem lies is that Carnival is not now, nor has ever been, consistent in their statements - about this policy or several others.

Too bad they don't have someone to coordinate all their marketing efforts.:rolleyes: You'd think a corporate giant like Carnival could do a little better in this area; would certainly avoid the confusion so many cruisers have.

I was on the Celebration in May with a small cooler and a twelve pack of 1/2 cokes(equal to a 6 pack) and one of the ladies that were telling us which way to go, stopped me and looked in the cooler and told me I could only take 1 six pack regardless of can size and told me to throw one 6 pack away. I just kept walking with my cooler and no one else bothered me. If this had been my first cruise I might have listened to her and would have not have had my morning coke!

MickeyG I carried a pair of sissors in my packed luggage to Alaska and back with no problem.

NinCO - where are you reading this? This is what I just got from Carnival's website:

"Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages for consumption on board. However, fine wine or champagne may be brought on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume your wine or champagne in the dining rooms." No mention of number of bottles. :confused:

We took 8 bottles to Alaska with us last July and had no problem. Two were even white, and they kept them cold for me until I drank the last drop! This saved us alot on our bar tab. We ended up filling up our glasses on the way to the dining room, so we did not have to buy any in the dining room as well. Good luck and fun cruising!

BJ...Thanks about the info regarding carrying a swiss army wine opener in luggage. I haven't tried packing anything like this in flight luggage since 911. I wasn't sure what you could pack in the luggage destined for the cargo bay.

Mick

You obviously can not carry SWA's on airlines. I packed my SWA in a dop kit in my packed luggage for thousand of miles post 911, no problems. I did have an unmarked blue plastic bottle conficated in the same dop kit. They conficated my Listerine, true story.

We usually carry two or more bottles of wine, about 4-6 bottles of water and the same amount of Pepsi between our two carry-ons. Have never had a problem. Sometimes you have to show them it's wine and not harder spirits. I also pack the cork screw in checked luggage. Coming back one year the Carnival cork screw they give you was consficated by airlines. Now NCL is another matter, no wine and they consficated husband little bottles of JD. Had to go and retrieve luggage with booze in it, they did not bring it to the room!

Archived