Pool use and capris

Jane T

I've only been on Caribbean cruises before so am having some issues with packing for my July 20 Alaska cruise. Are the pool areas warm enough to use? I would think the hot tubs are popular, are they? Am I being too optimistic if I'm thinking of packing capris for me or shorts for my always hot husband? :confused:

We just got back from our first Alaskan cruise a little over a week ago, and we had similar concerns. As it turned out, we never did make it to the pool or hot tubs, but there were others on our ship that did. The pool water is heated and it was a sight to see people (mostly younger ones) in the pool when there are people on deck in jackets. It surprised me most on the day we went through Tracy Arm and froze our butts off to see these people in the pool. We requested pool towels from our steward thinking that we would at least make it to the hot tubs, but we never did. As for the capris and shorts...you will find the temperature inside the ship comfortable enough to wear them. You will see people dressed in all manner of clothes. If you had to pick the season based on the clothes you see people wearing, you'd be hard pressed to choose.

We just got back from our Alaska cruise. We sailed Celebrity Millennium on JUne 27 and got back home July 7. I wore capris every day. I did not wear pants one day. I could have worn pants because some of the days were cool, but capris were sufficient. We just made sure to wear layers on top (t-shirt, sweatshirt, & windbreaker). My husband mostly wore shorts, b/c he is usually warm. He wore pants on our whale watch and when we were cruising up to Hubbard Glacier.

I packed one pair of pants and didn't need them. You should be fine b/c the weather wasn't that cold, but it was chilly. We are from Erie, PA so the cooler temps did not bother us. We saw others from southern states and they seemed to be freezing some of the days. It usually was about 55-60 degrees, not too bad for us.

We also used the hot tub one day, b/c that is all we had time for. There is so much to do and see!

Enjoy your vacation! :)

We just got back from Alaska on the Star and it was great. . . picture this - you, laying by the pool (not the hottub :D ), the sky is a beautiful shade of blue and you are surrounded by the mountains . . . doesn't that sound perfect. Really, we did this on all three of the ports Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. We actually came back with a nice tan and people said 'you were in Alaska?'.

Now that being said, I have also cruised there the past 2 summers - end of July, it rained the entire time. May, sunny out but definitely not warm enough to lay by the pool.

What you need to do is take some of everything . . . I don't know what your excursions are or where you are going but at some point you will need it. Even though it was so warm in Juneau, when we went up Tracy Arm Fjord it was very cold and windy (which was the same day visit) - it was the only day I wore a sweater and my warmer jacket.

i spent part of glacier bay in the hot tub- the other part taking pictures. i used the hot tub a lot. the last day at sea i did the wave pool to say i did it. there wre several of us in the pool.

you do need a bathing suit to use the steam rooms.

never wore shorts but wore sandels a couple times outside.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad my thoughts about taking capris and shorts are not too out of line. I'd just hate to have my husband over heating for a week. Can't wait to try to stay under the airlines 50 lb weight limit when packing for all weather possibilities!

Archived