Bangkok

wripro

If you can by all means do. It was very easy to get there -- direct flight on Song Airways( baby sister of Singapore Airlines) non stop to Siem Riep, though on the way back to Singapore we did have a stop in Phnom Penh.And as I mentioned earlier this way you don't have to miss any of the cruise.

Keith,

I am very much looking forward to seeing Singapore and especially trying the street food from Hawker Centers.

The Hawker Centre food is fantastic, and cheap.

Enjoy!

Steve.

Whilst in Bangkok one of the most memorable places for us was the Prasart Museum it is a must for anybody interested in Thai history and art. On the occasion of our cruise to the Far East a few years ago it was the venue for the Seaborne Experience and therefore the museum was opened one evening exclusively for us. Mr. Prasart Vongsakul greeted us in person and spoke enthusiastically about his outstanding collection and explained the reasons for its inception. The extensive grounds were illuminated by hundreds of candles and lanterns and we were able to either wander around or just sit out and enjoy the food and drink provided. An outstanding evening.

Dave

Re: Siem Riep

All the hotels seem able to arrange private guide and driver. Wherever you decide to stay, just email them beforehand. We stayed at a small hotel that arranged pickup at the airport and two days of a private guide. Good luck in getting the extra time. You really should not miss Angkor Wat.:)

At Angkor Wat, if you are in good shape( and not afraid of heights), by all means climb the steep steps on the right side of the structure. There is a metal rail to help guide you but the steps are so steep that the only way down seems to be by climbing backward. For all of your work you are rewarded with magnificent views. Have lunch right there at the Blue Pumpkin. It is right outside the entrance through a very classy gift shop with Cambodian handcrafts( I found two beautiful Cambodian slubbed silk pillow covers for aout $15). Perhaps even more interesting ( in a different way) than Angkor Wat was Ta Prohn.This was were Angelina Jolie filmed Laura Croft Tomb Raider. The way the roots of the trees are growing out of the temple ruins it is hard to tell if they are destroying the structures or holding them together. And then there is the still different Angkor Thom with among other things powerfully realistic carvings of elephants.BTW, we used Exotissimo, one of the premier S.E.Asian tour compaines with offices thoughout the area, including Saigon.You could arrange private tours with them in many of the ports.But I have to say that after our long flight from the U.S., whirlwind trip to Cambodia, sightseeing in Singapore(which frankly did not wow me -- not exotic enough for my taste -- even Chinatown etc.), it was so nice to climb on board our favorite Seabourn Spirit.And while we do not normally look forward to sea days it was perfect to have a couple of days to catch our breath.

Thanks, everyone. I'll do my best to get to Angor Wat.

Be sure to give yourself time to also relax. You may need a vacation after the vacation. :)

In all seriousness, so many nice things to see on your itinerary.

Keith

Archived