Galaxy

ChrissyUK

I just read in the captains club news letter that a 4 million dollar renovation was just done or is soon being done to her. I doubt they would do that and then get rid of her!

I do not know how she is...havent' sailed her in years.

we were on her for the first time in June. I thought she was great. The staff/crew were fantastic. we were in a Sky Suite and it was very clean, bed was comfy. Before we left I saw some negative reviews regarding fogged up windows and the like. These are just not the kind of things that we are bothered by (we probably wouldnt even notice!) See my review of Galaxy Eastern Med.

-----------------

Helen

I just read in the captains club news letter that a 4 million dollar renovation was just done or is soon being done to her. I doubt they would do that and then get rid of her!

They have already announced she is being removed from the fleet. She will be the flagship of a new German cruise line. After they announced she was leaving they drastically cut down on the work being done during drydock

Actually, she really is leaving: she's going to TUI Cruises, a new German cruiseline that's a joint venture between RCI (they'll provide the ship) and TUI, a German travel agency/holiday provider.

A year or more ago it was assumed that Galaxy would get the Century treatment, or near enough - her refit (in 2006?) cost $50,000,000+. But then it became clear that Galaxy's refit was going to be just enough to keep her going, and this spring came the announcement about her leaving Celebrity. Interestingly, I have read somewhere that she will get a major make-over from TUI, costing millions - possibly tens of millions - of €s.

Actually, she really is leaving: she's going to TUI Cruises, a new German cruiseline that's a joint venture between RCI (they'll provide the ship) and TUI, a German travel agency/holiday provider.

A year or more ago it was assumed that Galaxy would get the Century treatment, or near enough - her refit (in 2006?) cost $50,000,000+. But then it became clear that Galaxy's refit was going to be just enough to keep her going, and this spring came the announcement about her leaving Celebrity. Interestingly, I have read somewhere that she will get a major make-over from TUI, costing millions - possibly tens of millions - of €s.

Tom is correct, below is the link to the renovation that was done earlier this year which was not extensive at all..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000ONWdyRD8aSwejro6qS7ykjm:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2008-03-05&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

Next is the link announcing her transfer to TUI..

http://www.celebritycruises.com/aboutceleb/pressDetails.do;jsessionid=0000ONWdyRD8aSwejro6qS7ykjm:12h3rnd1c?pagename=press_room_details&event_date=2008-04-29&event_type=press_release&sequence_code=A

We too were on the Galaxy in June 2008.

The ship is in excellent condition. I made a point of looking at the windows in the Stratosphere. A few of the high level ones looked a little misted up but at eye level all were clear and provided excellent views.

Cabin service was faultless and the highlight for us was the service as well as the food we had in the main dining room, both were excellent.

All the crew seemed to be happy in their work and there was a good atmosphere on board.

I am sure you will enjoy your trip!

Hi, she is leaving the fleet at the end of March 2009:(

Anyone recently off the Galaxy? Would be interested to hear about condition of ship, food, staff, etc, as I understand she is soon to leave Celebrity.:D

I sailed her in March and had a fantastic cruise:)

and yes this coming March she is leaving the fleet:(

I am going back her again in January to sail her one more

time before that happens......

I was on her last month, and thought the ship was lovely. If you compare the Galaxy with the newest, biggest, glitziest ships, she'll come up short. One lady I spoke with called the ship "tired," and I suppose if I looked closely, I could have found defects. But the itinerary was fabulous, the crew was outstanding, and our tablemates were delightful. I thought the food was quite good.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

Archived