Embarkation Day Lunch

rarescrambler

I believe I read someplace that it's a little-known fact but lunch is served in the dining room on embarkation day. This sounds very favorable to me as a way to avoid the crowds at the Lido buffet. Do I understand correctly that when the staff is steering us towards the buffet, we just tell them we'd like to eat in the dining room and we're free to head that way? Also, would we just take our carry-ons with us into the DR? Seems a little strange, but maybe OK in this instance?

Thanks for feedback.

There was a lengthy thread about this topic not too long ago.

Perhaps you can do a search for it.

I have had lunch in the dining room on embarkation day once. It was a very limited menu, maybe 4 items. I enjoyed the peace and quiet and did not miss the chaos in the Lido.

Some posters said they had never encountered an open dining room at lunchtime on embarkation day.

So perhaps it varies, ship to ship, cruise to cruise.

I believe I read someplace that it's a little-known fact but lunch is served in the dining room on embarkation day.
At various times it has been reported that all four Vistas have had their dining rooms open for lunch between 12:00N and 1:00p on embarkation day, but AFAIK no R or S class ships have had it open.

On our most recent Vista cruise, the Zuiderdam, about 1/3 of the lower dining room was being used for lunch, and most people had carry-ons with them. (Some may have been b2b people.)

Just go by and take a look before heading up to the Lido.

Bottom line is, you probably have to wait until you get on the ship, then ask.

In the earlier thread I mentioned, I believe the OP wanted to know beforehand if he could have lunch in the dining room, and when he called HAL he felt he did not get a satisfactory answer.

This is what we did: We went up to the Lido for a short time, then took an aft elevator [if that's the proper term!] down to the Vista Dining Room. I believe we went to the lower level dining room, and that was the one that happened to be open. There was a menu posted outside, and we perused it and found it to be to our liking.

As I recall, the dining room was open noon-1 p.m.

Only a few tables were occupied.

We had wonderful food, wonderful service, and we found it the perfect start to our vacation! And yes, we were able to take our carry-ons with us into the dining room.

On most of our cruises, the people we are traveling with preferred the variety offered in the Lido, so we agreed to eat there.

The dining room was open on embarkation day on the Westerdam from Noon until 1 PM. We didn't know anything about this as there was nothing mentioned about it in our folder that we got when we checked in at the pier. Our concierges didn't even mention anything to anyone in the Neptune Lounge about lunch being available in the dining room.

Starters:

Antipasto Platter - marinated grilled vegetables with salami and mortadella

or

Oregan Bay Smrimp Cocktail

or

Beef and Barley Soup

Entrees:

Pan Seared Orange Roughy - Avocado tomato aioli, steamed brown rice and carrots

or

Lemon Herb Crusted Turkey Tenderloin - honey dijon glazed with sauteed spinach and mashed potatoes

or

Ziti alla Carbonara - large tubepasta tossed with pancetta cream sauce and freshly grated parmesan

Desserts:

Cheesecake with Strawberry sauce

or

Chocolate Mousse

or

Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry Ice Cream

This was for our April/May cruises.

We also had lunch in the DR on embarkation day on our most recent Westerdam cruise. It was lovely. Although the menu was limited and, as a vegetarian, there wasn't an option for me (we didn't have the pasta offering that KK did) , I had a wonderful salad and dessert and it was perfect. The staff was very friendly and appeared happy to see us in there.

The dining room was open on embarkation day on the Westerdam from Noon until 1 PM. We didn't know anything about this as there was nothing mentioned about it in our folder that we got when we checked in at the pier.
I asked at the check-in desk and again at the Front Desk where we had gone directly after boarding to make cooking class reservations. In both cases we got a "don't know" reply. The simplest approach is to just go by the lower dining room and see.

I had heard that the Oosterdam dining room was open for embarkation lunch prior to our last cruise, but I knew we wouldn't be on board in time to eat there. We had a later flight which meant we wouldn't arrive at the pier until after 1:00. However, in doing so, we discovered that the ideal time to have lunch in the Lido is right after the cabins are available. Just as we were boarding, the announcement was made that the cabins were ready. We dropped off our carry-ons and headed to the Lido, expecting to not find a table. To our surprise, most people had left to go check out their cabins, and we had plenty of choices for a table. We're going to try this strategy again next time and see if it holds true.

Among the many things I have learned from this forum is that sandwiches are available from room service on embarkation day. I'm hoping this will still be true in Sep. on the Westerdam when we head south to the Canal. I read somewhere many months ago that a pot of coffee and sandwiches can be had with just a phone call.

Among the many things I have learned from this forum is that sandwiches are available from room service on embarkation day. I'm hoping this will still be true in Sep. on the Westerdam when we head south to the Canal. I read somewhere many months ago that a pot of coffee and sandwiches can be had with just a phone call.

That's great to know, but if the cabins aren't ready, that leaves you waiting to eat until they are.

I asked if the diningroom was open on my last cruise and was told no, but someone else who was on the cruise just went there and they were serving lunch.

We love to eat lunch in the dining room on embarkation day on Princess. We'll be on the Maasdam in August...so maybe we'll just stroll to the dining room door & hope it will be open. This is such a nice way to start a cruise...eat lunch in the dining room!

We'll be on the Maasdam in August...so maybe we'll just stroll to the dining room door & hope it will be open.
Don't get your hopes up. As I said back in post #4: so far I haven't read of any R or S class ship having the d.r. open for lunch on embarkation day - only Vistas.

Don't get your hopes up. As I said back in post #4: so far I haven't read of any R or S class ship having the d.r. open for lunch on embarkation day - only Vistas.

Even on the Amsterdam's 2008 Grand World Voyage, I am not aware that the dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day in Fort Lauderdale.

Archived