amaduoro/duoro queen

Betty Lu

Betty Lu,

I´d say it is the same ship. They are using even the same photos. Actually there is no ship called AMADouro. But AMAWaterways does charter ships like the SWISS PEARL for France (Rhône/Saône rivers). So I assume they have partially chartered the Douro Queen from Uniworld. "Partially" chartered means that they have a whole charter on certain dates. So compare the schedules of Uniworld and AMAWaterways. I´m sure there are departure dates which are sold by AMAWaterways and other which are sold by Uniworld.

steamboats

H2Otstr,

Check both websites: same year of construction (2005), same deck plans, they are even using the same photos!

AMAWaterways is offering the Douro river since this year. They do not have their own ship there. AMAWaterways offers 12 trips in 2009 in April, May, June , 1 in August, 3 in September and 1 in October. Uniworld has 13 trips 2 in July and 2 in August, 3 in September and 5 in October.

So obviously it is the same ship. Of course Uniworld and AMAWaterways have nothing to do with each other. Two different companies. But that doesn´t mean they can´t use the same ship.

steamboats

Steamboats,

I posed the question to the travel agent that I am using about the 2 boats being the same and here is his reply:

The Douro Queen sails from Porto on 7th Sept. The Amadouro on the 6th. On the Douro none of the ships ships are owned by the US cruise line companies. They are owned by a family company that control vineyards and transfer companies.

Mike Davies

Thank you for your input - we are on the Uniworld trip next May. As you say, they leave just a day apart, so must be different ships. However, they do look exactly alike.

Please give us a review of your September trip.

They have to be 2 boats--the two cruise line itineraries are not the same. We have been researching this cruise for fall of 2009--did a side by side comparison. Yes, they see the same sites on the Druoro but on different days. They must be clones like the River Countess and the River Dutchess. Pat

O.k., I haven´t had the time to compare the schedules day by day. By looking on them it looked like it might fit.

Identical twins is the solution. But using the same photos is a bit strange.

The Amadouro must have been renamed as she definitely wasn´t built with that name in 2005.

steamboats

These are two identical ships; we were on the Douro Queen last October, and passed the Amadouro upstream. If you look at Google Earth, you will see them tied up side by side just east of Porto.

Regards,

captgeo

Archived