From Small to BIG

chet the jet

In Novermber we will be on the 670 pasenger Tahitian Princess for 10 days of sailing the French Polynesia Island. On the last two cruises we have traveled with a group of 50 which we call Freinds and Familys. Well today I got a nice 10 page booklet on the Oasis of the Seas from my TA. He wants to book for May 2010 another Freinds and Familys. I have been on the RCC big ship but do I realy want to be with 5,000 other people. What do you think about being on a smaller ship compered to the LARGEST. With that big of ship I would never have to go on shore as there would be to much to do on ship.:rolleyes:

In Novermber we will be on the 670 pasenger Tahitian Princess for 10 days of sailing the French Polynesia Island. On the last two cruises we have traveled with a group of 50 which we call Freinds and Familys. Well today I got a nice 10 page booklet on the Oasis of the Seas from my TA. He wants to book for May 2010 another Freinds and Familys. I have been on the RCC big ship but do I realy want to be with 5,000 other people. What do you think about being on a smaller ship compered to the LARGEST. With that big of ship I would never have to go on shore as there would be to much to do on ship.:rolleyes:

The jumbo ships are not for me, but it's your money, time, and vacation. Whatever floats your boat!! :D

I thought I would like to find a group for that ship. However, would you get off at any port with that many fellow passengers? :eek: I also think you would spend 7 days trying to see everything onboard and not catch it all.

I guess it would be an experience, for sure.

I personally would love a cruise line with enough 600 passenger ships to be always available in the North America market. The experience is totally different than the theme park that comes available on the mega ships and one that I prefer.

I'm not sure where Jones Beach is, but I think I agree...might as well go to Walt Disney World. I hesitate to get on one of Princess' Gem Class ships due to the size - I have heard that the experience mirrors the smaller ships, so I would be inclined to try it if the sailing was right. But if I had a choice between Crown and Pacific, Pacific would win every time.

We are just off the Tahitian loved the friendly and personalized service. We got to know so many of our fellow pax as well...unlike on a larger ship, where almost everyone remains a stranger. We plan to sample other small ship itineraries in the coming years, but may never set foot in anything larger than the Coral again (even our 9yo is now a small ship devotee).

Going from the Tahitian to a ship with 5,000 passengers--no way. Going from the Tahitian to a ship with 3,100 (like the Caribbean Princess)--oh yeah. We actually went from a 1,900 passenger ship to the CB. I was a little concerned with the amount of people but, after reading the boards and people telling me I would really only notice it in the Buffet, I found they were so correct. I would definitely go on a ship the size of the CB when the opportunity presents itself.

We are just off the Tahitian loved the friendly and personalized service. We got to know so many of our fellow pax as well...unlike on a larger ship, where almost everyone remains a stranger. We plan to sample other small ship itineraries in the coming years, but may never set foot in anything larger than the Coral again (even our 9yo is now a small ship devotee).

I loved your report that you did. We have a PH on deck 7. We went all the way out on this one and you can go to the November 19 sailing to see why. We are luck to have had afe cabins on three of the six we have been on and always had a balcony. I know what they say about the front of the ship be we only have 2 days at sea. Nothing like having Thanksgiving in Bora Bora. LOL.. Maybe get wild pig instead of turkey. I know that I will love this ship from what I have heard about it. After all at my age (69) who need to walk all over the place.:D

I think if I want to visit Central Park, I will go to NYC. :)

Tee

I started and got hooked on cruising after taking the Tahitian Princess in 2003. I found the service to be excellent! Our second cruise was on the Diamond Princess, which is maxing out in Princess' fleet. While we had a nice cruise, we felt that we got better service on the smaller Tahitian Princess.

We then tried RCI and took a cruise on the Navigator of the Seas. While Navigator is larger in passengers and tonnage than the Diamond, the service was just as we experienced on the Tahitian.

We loved the larger ship experience. I think that RCI's innovation should be experienced, as I think that they have a good handle on how to do the larger ship experience.

Overall, whether it be the Diamond or the Navigator, we never felt crowded even though both ships had over 3,000 passengers. I expect that will all of the various venues/neighborhoods, you will not feel cramped. The good thing about the Oasis is that RCI has selected ports in which it does not have to tender. This should help the customer experience.

I think you can't go wrong on either ship, and wouldn't hesitate to try it out.

I loved your report that you did. We have a PH on deck 7. We went all the way out on this one and you can go to the November 19 sailing to see why. We are luck to have had afe cabins on three of the six we have been on and always had a balcony. I know what they say about the front of the ship be we only have 2 days at sea. Nothing like having Thanksgiving in Bora Bora. LOL.. Maybe get wild pig instead of turkey. I know that I will love this ship from what I have heard about it. After all at my age (69) who need to walk all over the place.:D
What a beautiful way to remember your daughter. There are many places on the ship where you can get away from the wind if you need to, but you will have one of the only unobstructed forward views on board (and there are none open to the public).

Our first Princess cruise was the Tahitian last summer from Hawaii to Tahiti. I loved the small shhip. My husband got a bit bored, wanted to see and do more 2 sea days in a row gets to him... what he wanted is still beyond me..... Our 2nd Princess was the Grand this past winter. WOW! huge difference. So much to see and do. ALWAYS had something to do or see. I like both, but I guess if I had my choice I'd go with small, whereas my husband just chimed in: he said: big!:rolleyes:

So, I guess it depends on your personailty. How was that for wishy washy?

I'm not sure where Jones Beach is, but I think I agree....

Jones Beach is a large lovely beach on LI.

I am very mixed about the Oasis. First of all, our BSM said they aren't allowing TA's to book any groups right away (and when the do, it won't be for sailing before Jan. 1) , so that isn't supposed to be a possibility on Sept. 3 when they open for bookings. I've also been on the itineraries they are doing on the Oasis, so I don't know that I want to do the same itinerary again.

Having experienced the FOS and getting caught in high winds that tilted the ship 5 degrees, I don't know that I'd be comfortable on a ship that large.

I like large ships, not small ones, but I think even the Oasis is too big for me. But boy, with what they are offering I almost feel compelled to sail on it. I just am concerned about what happens when the ship is in port - the ports are overwhelmed now when there are several ships in port, this one ship really is the equivalent of two ships with the number of passengers.

I bet those living in villages will find it hard to adjust to a town and the townspeople to adjust to a city and so on. It is a matter of attitude -- finding the very best in each environment that is unique. Be adaptable -- I know we will book and enjoy the Oasis. Right now when 3 ships are in a port at the same time, the scene is already as in the post above!

Archived