Labadee Suggestions for Couple

We will be in Labadee during our cruise on the Liberty of the Seas in a few weeks. We have never been to Labadee. It will be my wife and I, no kids this time!!!

Can you share what you have enjoyed best on Labadee. Best beach for couples, things not to be missed.

Thanks for sharing!

Don't over-analyze your Labadee visit. It's a good beach day. IMO the question is whether or not you want to do the zip line or do the water personal watercraft, water toys, etc. Just figure on hanging at the beach for the day. You'll have a great time. But, really look at the zip line. It's quite an experience.

Mike

My husband and I had a fabulous time on a Waverunner together--those things can be difficult to steer if you're new to them, and his arm strength really came in handy! It was also nice just to relax on the beach and in the water with him afterwards.

I don't know how secluded the island can be--maybe someone here can advise you of a Labadee Club! :eek:

Try eating lunch on the beach by where the zip line terminates. It's fun entertainment to watch the people fly in while having lunch. You can hear the buzz of the cables long before you can see the people.

Our favorite parts of Labadee are Dragon's Breath Point, Bar, and Beach. We are both retired so we like to spend our time ashore reading and relaxing and eating and drinking!

Here is a photo of Dragon's Breath Beach with the Point, Bar, and BBQ Pavilion (Red Roofs) in the right foreground.

DB-Beach.jpg

And a close-up of the point. It is called Dragon's Breath Point because as the waves lap around the rocks, air is compressed in small caves and fissures and it "hisses" as it escapes. (Everyone knows that Dragons hiss) There is a nice walk way to the point and it is worth a visit. Free too!

DB-Point.jpg

Here we are on the walk to the point having fun in the sun.

IMGP5946.jpg

Here is Dragon's Breath Beach. The sand is course and soft and the bottom has some large chunks of coral so water shoes are appropriate. The Course sand is difficult to walk in but there are lots of chairs available for laying out in the sun.

IMGP5943.jpg

Here is Dragon's Breath Bar. One of the two Picnic Pavilions is right next to it. It is a great place to hang out.

IMGP5947-1.jpg

And here we are in the bar closest to the tender landing having a farewell libation.

IMGP2302.jpg

Labadee is a great place! There are lots of activities and beaches, the BBQ lunch is nice, and it is also a great place to relax and do nothing.

labadee is a very small area, makes it very easy to decide what to do as there are not many choices and i think that is the intention anyway, it is laid back (except for the shopping area which i avoid b/c the vendors make me very uncomfortable).

Thanks for all the input.

The map was great!

The pictures are awesome! Thanks so much!

I think we will just find a bit quieter beach, lay in the sun, lay in the shade, eat a little, drink a little, and repeat. Sounds like a perfect day.

Which beach is a little less crowded, Dragons Breath Beach or Hideaway Beach?

Thanks

Thanks for all the input.

The map was great!

The pictures are awesome! Thanks so much!

I think we will just find a bit quieter beach, lay in the sun, lay in the shade, eat a little, drink a little, and repeat. Sounds like a perfect day.

Which beach is a little less crowded, Dragons Breath Beach or Hideaway Beach?

Thanks

When you get off the tender, just head to the left. If you go to the right, that's where all the kid stuff is so there will be lots of kids there. We usually go to maybe the 3rd beach to the left - I thought it was called snorkel beach but I don't see that on the map that was posted - it's by the rocks/cliffs and that's the beach where the plane is in the water as well, but snorkeling is not good there - I think the ship kicks up to much sand - we have snorkeled there but we bring our own equipment and there's not a whole lot to see. If you like to lounge in the water you can rent a floating mat for the day - pretty sure it was $10 and it goes right on your seapass.

Have fun, wish I were going there soon!

You won't find this stretch of shoreline to be named on the map. But we've stepped off the tender and gone straight across the Labadee area to the far shoreline. Then we take a left and walk about 50 yards or so. There's a little grove of palm trees. The 4 of us stretch out chairs and nap all day.

The Dragon's Breath point is down to the left so we can watch parasailing. Down to our right is the BBQ hut. Directly behind us are restrooms and one of those little fake bar drink stands. In front of us the waves wash in. Went there 2 years in a row and camped out under the same trees. Pretty much had it to ourselves.

Bonnie V swears she's gonna show us a better location when we go! Til then, this is our place.

You won't find this stretch of shoreline to be named on the map. But we've stepped off the tender and gone straight across the Labadee area to the far shoreline. Then we take a left and walk about 50 yards or so. There's a little grove of palm trees. The 4 of us stretch out chairs and nap all day.

The Dragon's Breath point is down to the left so we can watch parasailing. Down to our right is the BBQ hut. Directly behind us are restrooms and one of those little fake bar drink stands. In front of us the waves wash in. Went there 2 years in a row and camped out under the same trees. Pretty much had it to ourselves.

Bonnie V swears she's gonna show us a better location when we go! Til then, this is our place.

I am trying to figure out where you are talking about. We have never been to Labadee (but will visit in Sept.:) ). When you walk across the Labadee area, are you going over to the flea market area? Here is the map I was looking at. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=labadee

Just returned from Labadee - I would advise to stay away from the market. They will really get in your face - in fact it was pretty scary. My neice put her pocketbook down to look at something (i know not a good idea) and the women took it without her seeing emptied all the belongings in it and put her pocket book with her other stuff for sale!!! When my neice told her that was her pocket book the women starting screaming "She's stealing my pocketbook". People starting running towards my niece - Security did come and they did give her back her pocketbook but not the belonging inside. Thank god she had nothing of value in it. My advice is to be very carefull there -

I am trying to figure out where you are talking about. We have never been to Labadee (but will visit in Sept.:) ). When you walk across the Labadee area, are you going over to the flea market area? Here is the map I was looking at. http://cruisetip.tpkeller.com/maps/portmaps.php?mapid=labadee

I think they are talking about the other side of the island............when off the tender, walk straight across the island to the water on the other side.

Or............to try to give you a better picture..............

Once off the tender, if you turn to the left and start walking, on your left will be the calm water, but on your right will be rougher water with waves. We have waves here in NJ so I go for calm waters..........LOL I'm not sure you can swim in all the areas with the rougher water. I remember seeing signs saying Sea Urchins - you don't want to swim where there are sea urchins.

It's a nice relaxing beach day. Enjoy!

Just returned from Labadee - I would advise to stay away from the market. They will really get in your face - in fact it was pretty scary. My neice put her pocketbook down to look at something (i know not a good idea) and the women took it without her seeing emptied all the belongings in it and put her pocket book with her other stuff for sale!!! When my neice told her that was her pocket book the women starting screaming "She's stealing my pocketbook". People starting running towards my niece - Security did come and they did give her back her pocketbook but not the belonging inside. Thank god she had nothing of value in it. My advice is to be very carefull there -

Right behind the market is a building and I think it's called Artisian Market. I prefer to just walk thru there - no one hassels you in there. Although I did pick up a few neat things from the outside market over the years.

You just have to be careful, but I do prefer to just stop at the Artisian one.

I would guess that in trying to not set myself up for someone pointing out that Labadee isn't actually an "island" I wasn't clear. Thanks for asking for clarification. Okay, let's call Labadee an island. We would walk straight ahead from the Tender across the island. On the map you linked to, the closest thing to our spot that is labeled would be the "Volleyball Courts". It's that long stretch of shoreline where there really isn't any name. Great place, we think.

We've found the marketplace folks to be agressive, too, but not unmanageable if you say, "No thank you." Still, having been there and done that, I don't know that we would even go by there. But the stretch of the island I'm telling you about is well past there and across the way.

Here is the part of my review on Labadee... we are a late 20s married couple who like to be active. The full review is in my signature

Day 3, Labadee, Haiti:

Woke up pretty early, and were planning on headed to Labadee around 10. We went to the Windjammer for breakfast, got our stuff together and headed down to get in line for the tender. The process was pretty smooth, and I don't think we waited more than 15 minutes. They said that they can handle 500 people at a time on the tenders, so the process was pretty efficient. That said, I really don't like having to tender. Apparently they are going to start the building of the dock "soon". Not sure what that means!

We got to the island and headed down towards Hideway Beach. Well there must be a lot of people that read CC, because it was pretty full. We were able to get two chairs and set up camp. We brought our own snorkel equipment, and I purchased two swim rings at the dollar store before we left. They were worth way more than $1. It was hot… REALLY HOT, so I blew up my tube and hit the water. I heard a lot of people talking about my tubes, and a couple asked where I got them. A little while later Chris joined me. We decided to go snorkeling, so we grabbed our stuff and headed out into the water. The snorkeling is not great, so I don't know if I would spend the money on renting equipment from RCCL, but if you have your own stuff it was fine. We swam from Hideaway Beach to Barefoot Beach and were able to see the airplane wreck. I didn't see it but Chris did and he said it was just the fuselage and wing sections, but there were a lot of fish around it. I did see a bunch of sea urchins and heard about a few people getting stung. We didn't have water shoes, but I could see why people recommend wearing them.

We headed over to the BBQ, and had some lunch then back to the chairs for some sun. When we were finished, I found the first kid with their parent and asked if they wanted our tubes. They accepted and hopefully they had fun with them.

I would guess that in trying to not set myself up for someone pointing out that Labadee isn't actually an "island" I wasn't clear. Thanks for asking for clarification. Okay, let's call Labadee an island. We would walk straight ahead from the Tender across the island. On the map you linked to, the closest thing to our spot that is labeled would be the "Volleyball Courts". It's that long stretch of shoreline where there really isn't any name. Great place, we think.

We've found the marketplace folks to be agressive, too, but not unmanageable if you say, "No thank you." Still, having been there and done that, I don't know that we would even go by there. But the stretch of the island I'm telling you about is well past there and across the way.

Thanks! We're looking forward to checking it out. :cool:

Here is the part of my review on Labadee... we are a late 20s married couple who like to be active. The full review is in my signature

Day 3, Labadee, Haiti:

Woke up pretty early, and were planning on headed to Labadee around 10. We went to the Windjammer for breakfast, got our stuff together and headed down to get in line for the tender. The process was pretty smooth, and I don't think we waited more than 15 minutes. They said that they can handle 500 people at a time on the tenders, so the process was pretty efficient. That said, I really don't like having to tender. Apparently they are going to start the building of the dock "soon". Not sure what that means!

We got to the island and headed down towards Hideway Beach. Well there must be a lot of people that read CC, because it was pretty full. We were able to get two chairs and set up camp. We brought our own snorkel equipment, and I purchased two swim rings at the dollar store before we left. They were worth way more than $1. It was hot… REALLY HOT, so I blew up my tube and hit the water. I heard a lot of people talking about my tubes, and a couple asked where I got them. A little while later Chris joined me. We decided to go snorkeling, so we grabbed our stuff and headed out into the water. The snorkeling is not great, so I don't know if I would spend the money on renting equipment from RCCL, but if you have your own stuff it was fine. We swam from Hideaway Beach to Barefoot Beach and were able to see the airplane wreck. I didn't see it but Chris did and he said it was just the fuselage and wing sections, but there were a lot of fish around it. I did see a bunch of sea urchins and heard about a few people getting stung. We didn't have water shoes, but I could see why people recommend wearing them.

We headed over to the BBQ, and had some lunch then back to the chairs for some sun. When we were finished, I found the first kid with their parent and asked if they wanted our tubes. They accepted and hopefully they had fun with them.

The tubes are a great idea!!

Just got of Liberty and STAY AWAY FROM THE MARKET..... You can find similar things in the market anywhere else and for cheaper..... They are really in your face and most of them are so rude and they won't stop. Even if you say no thank you they still are very pushy. If you see the market - just make a big circle around it and don't even go near it. It's not worth it.

Beach day - most definitely.

• 5 weeks later...

You've gotta love these boards! Ask any question you have and there is someone that is more than willing to share their experiences and insights in order to make yours all the better!

We have a great day in Labadee thanks to many of you! Thank you!

We spent the day on Hideaway Beach. I was a quiet and restfull day! There were plenty of lounge chairs, there were some hamocks, there was a restroom with showers near by and lunch was served within eyesight. We did take the advice of one poster and picked up a couple of tubes at the Dollar Store before leaving and enjoyed floating around without paying the $10 for a floating mat. The beach is lined by trees so we moved our chairs back and forth from sun to shade as the temperature demanded. Just thinking back I would rather be there today than here. I guess that isn't too tough of a choice.

Thanks again!

Archived