Towel Animals on NCL?

Just curious - does NCL generally do Towel Animals?

This will be my kids' first cruise (ages 5 & 7) and I know they'd be delighted with towel animals...

does NCL do them? Is it up to each individual steward ... can I request them?

Thanks!

Have had towel animals on every NCL cruise - and it's a lot of them!:D

I love to take pictures of them and always make it a point to compliment the stewards on their creations. Of course, they appreciate the extra gratuity at the end if they've taken the time to do them (and taken care of the room nicely).

So I'd make a point of telling your steward that your kids love them and I'm sure you will be satisfied. Sometimes the first night they're busy with luggage and getting guests' beds in the right formation, etc. but you should see quite a few different animals over the week.:)

We had towel animals on the Pride of America - monkey, rabbit, hamsters, elephant, swan. Our kids loved it.

Of course we always made a point of meeting our cabin steward and introducing ourselves and getting to know him or her. I think it increases the chances of good service - and theirs of a good tip.

Just got off the Majesty and had a towel animal every night except the first and last. A snake, a frog, a 4-legged creature, a monkey and an elephant!

This bit really made me laugh :D

Thanks everyone!

I haven't made a big hoopla about them ... and probably won't... but I know they'd be tickled to death to get them (heck, as would I! LOL)

I think that I'll make it a point to seek out our cabin steward, introduce ourselves, and mention that I'd be most appreciative of towel animals for the kiddos.

:D

Anyone back from the Jade and know if they have any "towel animal making classes" ??? That would be FUN!

We had them every night on our recent Dawn cruise. In fact, I not only took pictures but carried one special one around the ship and took pictures of ours with various staff members (restaurant hostesses, bar staff at various bars, concierge, spa staff etc). The animal had my cruise critic nametag clipped to one ear and I don't know who enjoyed it more, DH and I or the various staff that were included in the pix. In fact, at LeBistro the hostess thought it was so cute when I asked if she would pose with our animal that she called her friends to come out and pose as well (including the maitre 'd).

DSC00533.jpg.a8cc190265f960f753361e08997e6aa6.jpg

Forgot to mention we are 2 adults..no children and we still got the animals! We always made sure our room steward (Roderick...great guy!) knew how much we enjoyed them! I also took photos! As for the 4 legged creature, I really didn't know what it was, but it was cute!

Anyone back from the Jade and know if they have any "towel animal making classes" ??? That would be FUN!

We did the TA in Feb on the Jade - no classes for towel animals - and I was hoping with the 6 sea days to cross the Atlantic that they would have them. Depends on the crew I think. Haven't heard of any on any sailing since - but they may have it now.

As for your best chances on getting them - DH always gives half of the tip up front to the room stewards and then tells them how much I love the towel animals (which I do) Out of the 13 days we were on the Jade we received them 12 nights. First night was a no go - but man, they sure made up for it after that!! Enjoy the Jade.

Okay, if the cruise doesn't offer towel-animal-making classes, are there websites that anyone knows of that teach how to make the things? I am thinking that leaving the steward's tip in a towel animal they haven't done, is going to be a neat thing...

Any links anyone?

A nice note with a comment that the kids love towel animals and a $5 bill might help, too!

We went to the towel making class and I mastered several shapes, including the monkey and the swan. I don't know if I could figure it out from a website, though!

Viv

Okay, if the cruise doesn't offer towel-animal-making classes, are there websites that anyone knows of that teach how to make the things? I am thinking that leaving the steward's tip in a towel animal they haven't done, is going to be a neat thing...

Any links anyone?

Yeah, I've seen a few of the videos... .but I am really hoping for an actual on ship class... think the kids would get a heck of a kick out of that.

O well, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

BTW - there are a few great UTube videos of different cabin stewards being videotaped doing the towel animals taht I have watched... they are really neat!

Well we have been on ships, NCL as well as others that have had only 1 or 2, others do them nightly. I think it depends on the artistic ability of the cabin steward. On the Star we got them 3 nights I think but they were all the same. On our Princess cruise in January we either got none or one.

Nita

We've had them on both our last NCL cruises, and on the Dream we were able to attend the towel folding seminar. Our daughter was one of the only kids that seemed to want to go up in front of the crowd and volunteer, also, so she got hands on instruction on a couple different ones. :) I think it depends a lot on your stewards, though... some people are good at that sort of thing and some aren't - and if you've got newer staff, they may just not know how to do many of them.

.. I am really hoping for an actual on ship class... think the kids would get a heck of a kick out of that.

On our last sea day on the Jade in February there was a "Towel Folding Demonstration" listed in the daily activities newsletter (we didn't attend).

On that 13-night cruise we received towel animals maybe 4 to 6 nights. Though we really enjoyed them, I'll have to admit that after the initial "oh how cuuuute!!", we'd set them aside and didn't give them much thought. Maybe the stewards rightfully pegged us as neglectful towel animal owners and that's why we didn't get that many ;)

In contrast, a couple we met who were in an Owners Suite really loved their animals which was obvious from their large menagerie - their collection was so cute I took a picture of them (see below - taken the afternoon before we reached final port).

I'm not sure, but perhaps the stewards picked up quickly that this couple loved their towel creations, demonstrated by the exalted home they were given on the living room couch :) , and so it encouraged them to keep making more... just a thought.

Maybe ask about a towel folding seminar if they haven't planned on one ... I read somewhere on the boards about a different activity (albeit passenger-generated) that wasn't originally offered but became commonly listed after enough people became active in it. So perhaps they'd schedule a towel folding seminar if enough passengers asked for it.

Cheers,

Joyce

IMG_5867_72ppi.jpg.c28af464bdd5ad5a940408ec1ed6ff81.jpg

Here's a nifty tip...

When I first started cruising and noticed the animals, they always had little pieces of torn paper for eyes. Well, I bought a bag of those toy eyes (bought at Michael's) and took them to the ship and gave them to the Steward. He loved them. I got animals every night. Loved the lobster and monkey best!

to alaska: elephant, alligator, dog and rabbit

to western carbe: walrus, snake (one of my favorites), sting ray, monkey and a floppy ear dog or rabbit (can't tell)

love them all and appreciate the efforts that go into them. left their tips in the monkeys hands...they left a thank you note with the mints.

Archived