I need a packing list for Alaska

MarilynTX

I am sailing Aug 9th from Seattle with my family (husband and twin boys age 11). Does anyone have a packing list? Ports of Call in Alaska are Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. We do plan to hike a bit in Juneau and Skagway. Thanks for any help.

I posted this about a month ago, and when looking it over (after I found the post), I still think it 's pretty accurate. I know it's rather long, but hope it helps. Have a wonderful time

OK...here is what I packed (and what I wore)

-1 North Face wind resistant/polar fleece jacket (wore all the time)

-1 LLBean water-resistant outter shell (only wore it, over my jacket, when it rained...and that was only one day of our trip when we were cruising through Tracy Arm)

-LLBean Black polar fleece vest (wore all the time)

-Polar fleece half zip top (wore several times)

-Polar fleece turtleneck (wore several times)

-3 pair of long jeans (wore all)

-1 pair capri jeans (didn't wear until our flight home)

-8 white cotton short sleeve t-shirts (wore one each day under any combination of the fleece. That way I could re-wear the fleece)

-3 long sleeve cotton tops (wore 1 brought home 2 un-worn)

-1 pair nylon Addidas wind pants (wore them in Tracy Arm) with 1 pair of lycra long pants under (instead of thermal underwear...it was really cold, rainy and windy that day)

-1 pair yoga (long) pants. (Wore them on the ship while at sea)

-2 pair gym shorts (didn't wear as I didn't go to the gym once.....ooops)

-Underwear x2 for each day (wore all)

-socks for each day....should have brought another pair of warmer higher socks....brought mostly ankle high "gym" socks

-6 outfits for dinners (wore 5)....never really got dressed up for formal night..mostly fashionable neat and clean

-1 pair Merrill/Gore-tex low walking/hiking footwear (wore all the time)

-1 pair gym sneakers (wore often)

-1 pair flip flops (wore them as slippers in the cabin, and around the ship while at sea)

-2 pairs flat casual (ballet-type) shoes. (wore one pair)

-1 pair black wedge sandals (wore each time we went to dinner on the ship)

-1 bathingsuit (NEVER wore it)

-2 handknit sweaters (wore one)

-1 handknit warm shawl...wore it frequently when I got just wanted to go onto the balcony, but didn't want to grab a jacket.

-PJs

-2 handbags for the evenings (carried one)

-1 swing bag (for days in port...used it always)

-(My DH brought the backpack, so I didn't have to...but you need one to carry your rain-jacket at all times)

-Umbrella (didn't use it, as the only day it rained we were at sea, and it was way too windy to use it on board)

Kept the color scheme to black and white....it all coordinated that way. Less to think about. This cruise was all about warmth and comfort and not about fashion (except for dinners)

That's pretty much it. I also took a small small tote to carry while on board. It was good to have the Patter (daily paper on Princess) at all times to see what was going on, and for my ship card and camera.

Best advice...keep it simple.:)

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

thegotogirl

View Public Profile

Find all posts by thegotogirl

Add thegotogirl to Your Buddy List

We were there last week and those suggestions sound like good advice. I know I didn't pack enuf long sleeve tops for me or my husband. One word of advice...if you want to wait and buy your jackets up there. They were very reasonable. I bought a nice fleece one for my husband to wear under his rain jacket for $20. For myself I got a nice fleecelined waterproof jacket with a hood which was just right for the weather we got...50's and rainy in all the ports for only $25. They both had the Alaska logo on them and I'll be glad to have them next winter. I bought mine in Fairbanks but I noticed they had similar ones in all the ports. I packed an empty travel bag to pack all my gifts in and carried it on the plane.

Thanks gotogirl. Did you need gloves or hats?

Gloves and hats are good if you plan to spend time out on deck. I brought earmuffs instead of a hat. I just prefer wearing earmuffs, even here in Michigan winters. I am just not a hat person. My DH, on the other hand, prefers hats and got use out of his. I brought the convertible mittens, which let me take photos easily. I did wish I had packed a scarf. Nothing bulky, but just a little scarf to wrap around the neck. Back her in MI I would not be wearing hats, gloves, and scarves in 50 degree weather. Somehow 50 degree weather in Alaska is a lot colder. ;)

Last year I bought 1 pair of fleece pants before the cruise, and I wore them all the time because they were so comfy. My jeans were worn once and not again. I bought another pair of fleece pants for my cruise this Friday, and I don't know if I will bother with jeans. (I'm not sure I have any that fit!) I also wished I had more long-sleeve tops. I did order ear warmers and a fleece scarf for this cruise. I appreciated my Merrell hiking boots last year (not low-tops) and will bring them again. I am spraying my New Balance walking shoes with waterproofer...hope that helps.

Last year I bought 1 pair of fleece pants before the cruise, and I wore them all the time because they were so comfy. My jeans were worn once and not again. I bought another pair of fleece pants for my cruise this Friday, and I don't know if I will bother with jeans. (I'm not sure I have any that fit!) I also wished I had more long-sleeve tops. I did order ear warmers and a fleece scarf for this cruise. I appreciated my Merrell hiking boots last year (not low-tops) and will bring them again. I am spraying my New Balance walking shoes with waterproofer...hope that helps.

By "fleece pants" are you talking sweat pants type only with fleece instead of jersey?

Archived