What type of sunscreen do you use?

Ladies (and Gentlemen, too),

I really like Vichy and Ladival -- both are available as creams and lotions. They provide good protection and moisturise my rather dry skin leaving it very soft. Both companies also make nice sprays that provide quick coverage. I usually use SPF 30 and reapply at least once.

What do you use? Do you prefer creams/lotions or sprays? What SPF?

I use Coppertone because I love the way it smells. That unique scent always makes me think of beautiful beaches and tropical breezes.:) And I like the lotions because I can controll exactly where the product goes. That, and the sprays smell a little like mosquito repellant to me. :confused:

I start out with an SPF 30 for a couple-two-three days to get my base and then go to a 4 for a nice deep brown finish.:D

4 days and a wakeup to paradise!!!

Rep

That, and the sprays smell a little like mosquito repellant to me. :confused:

Perhaps it does double duty and keep you mosquito and bug free?

No, I know exactly what you mean. I agree that some of these sprays smell as though one took a bath in insecticide.

Well, I use a neutrogena 45 moisturizer on my face every day, year round. When I'm working in the garden (dang weeds...That would be most of my free time:rolleyes: ) I use a sweatproof No-Ad 30 or Banana Boat 30 (these are our favorite waterproof/sweatproof for sports & yard work--my husband shaves his head, so he needs GOOD protection, and also something that won't run into his eyes--since he wears contact lenses and doesn't have any hair to sop up the sweat:o ) For vacations, we usually take 15, 30 & 45 and will vary depending on what we're doing and how long we'll be outside. We like La Roche Posay Anthelios (we're trying to transition to ONLY UVA and UVB protection sunscreens) but don't have a waterproof version of it. Aveeno & Neutrogena are nice too, but it's hard to find a good UVA/UVB sunscreen that's also water & sweatproof.

I feel like I'm buying sunscreen every week. We go through a LOT of it. We live in the south (of the US) and spend a lot of time outside--my husband with work, both of us at home. 1 oz per day or per couple of hours--that adds up. But it's far better than melanoma:eek:

This is my favorite review website: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/sunscreen/

It doesn't actually review--it's a meta-analysis of other reviews. Then if I want more specifics, I can go to original sources.

Sort of off topic, but if you love the smell of Coppertone, Yankee Candle company makes a candle called Sun and Sand that smells just like Coppertone on a hot summer day.

It's great in the middle of winter!

Awesome! I'll have to pick one up for those middle of the winter blues that seem to set in around February!

Sort of off topic, but if you love the smell of Coppertone, Yankee Candle company makes a candle called Sun and Sand that smells just like Coppertone on a hot summer day.

It's great in the middle of winter!

Niiiicccceeee!!!!!;)

Rep

I use Arbonne Sun Rescue 30 spf. It is absolutely waterproof! I can put it on at 8 am, work in the yard, go to the beach, swim in the ocean, come home & lie in the pool and not get burned.

They also have a great hair protector that helps to keep your highlights in line.

Hi,

I try to prevent any tanning and I am in the sun alot. We scuba dive and deep sea fish very often. I wear Neutrogena 70 spray on. I can get it on by myself without missing any places. I have no tan lines at all using this. I love it. It works like a charm to keep me fluorescent white.

Barbara

30 SPF or 45 if I want to keep my nose from getting burnt....which it seems to no matter what!

My chest is the same way--I can wear 30 elsewhere and not burn, but with 45 my girls still get a little pink....Another reason we bring multiple SPFs with us:p

DH swears by the continuous sprays - says that's the best way to ensure full coverage. I have very dry skin that doesn't react well to the sprays -they're very drying and irritate my skin -probably the high alcohol factor.

I use an oil free lotion - I like Banana Boat or Coppertone. They work well and are not too expensive, so I use plenty.

As I was getting ready this morning, and putting on my lip balm (to which I have an addiction, if you listen to my husband:p ) I remembered to make sure you have a lip balm with an SPF!! Lips are sensitive!! During the day, I only use lip balms (some clear, some tinted) with an spf. Anything without sun protection I kept to use at home in the evenings. I will buy anything for lips, so I have a hige collection--from 99c chapstick on up to the chichi versions:p My favorites are DCT (spf20) from blistex, and many of the Burts Bees options, including the ResQ lip balm (spf15). I have products from Almay and Ulta that are tinted with an spf--nice if you want a little color but still protection.

I have all sorts of different types in my beach bag. Depends on where I am/what I'm doing as to what I wear. In the Caribbean - I use Coppertone Sport - SPF 45 or 50 I think. And I reapply it often! At home, if I'm going to the beach for a full day (which I only do maybe once or twice in the summer) I use Banana Boat or Ocean Portion, SPF 4, for about half the day...then I switch to a higher SPF for the rest of the day. Always reapply often!

I recently watched a news report on the spray sunblocks and that they lose their effectiveness after about 15 minutes. The reporter also said that the sunblock that was bug repellent and sunblock all in one was bad for you. Did anyone else see this or read about it?

I use coppertone oil free lotion for my face...and neutrogena fresh cooling mist...spf45

Archived