sail7seas

If anyone's still reading this thread, here's my opinion:

Do away with

Bingo announcements

Smoking on balconies

Master Chef's Embarrassment

Aggressive Sales Pitches by Steiner employees

Cheezy music between movies/programs on in-cabin TV

Loud, age-inappropriate music (heavy metal) in the Lido or Crow's Nest (Fogey alert!)

Early showtimes for late diners.

I LIKE the photographers, mainly because I look better in a photo than in person, and they do a great job and are polite, in my experience. I agree that the photo prices are very high, and that an IT solution would eliminate the waste and space. However, I love looking at the day's new photos each evening in the photo gallery, and they must rub their hands with glee when they see me coming.

We LOVE the towel animals. We display the best ones and use the others.

Thanks, Sail, for a great thread.

Disembarkation.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I love it all, it's all part of the cruising experience, bring on the towel animals, photographers, master chef dinners, formal nights, art auctions, baked alaska, etc. I say yes, yes, yes to it all but ditto to disembarkations that's the worse, and don't you dare go messing around with my piano bar.......you hear.

I don't want to see them gone ... but I would like to see them moved out of the Atrium/Ocean Bar area into the Half Moon/Hudson/Stuyvesant rooms.

As I've written, I wouldn't mind if they went bye. If they are going to stay, I agree with your point about getting them out of the Atrium / OB areas. I don't know if the suggestions you made are workable (size wise) but if not, I would be willing to give up the movie theater (size permitting), the stage theater (afternoons obviously) or the Crows Nest (anytime before 4PM). I think there are enough options available such that the clutter in the Atrium / OB can be alleviated.

The problem with these ideas is that there is no sugar for the impulse buyer, people just walking along and dropping in to see what is going on. From my observations, I know this happens, I just have no idea how often. I do know that on one cruise, one woman just happened by, got hooked and dropped a fair amount (for me anyway). She was on her way from one place to another and had to pass the art displayed for auction.

I have personally watched some cabin stewards spend several minutes making 1 towel animal -- add up all that time -- cabin stewards have many rooms to make up each evening. And some of them also have to take time to open up the sofa beds and prepare them for the night, etc.

I've seen them also and just like everything else in life, it's part of what they do and it's absolutely a non-issue for the stewards who make towel animals to continue to do so. ;)

You've had a different experience than I. Last trip out of Port Everglades, the embarkation photographers had the access blocked to the ship. Everyone had to queue up to go through the photo op. When I got to the point, I started to walk through. One of the photogs jumped in front of me and blocked the path. I said no thank you. He persisted in ushering me to the photo op. I said no thank you again. He remained in my path. Rather than continuing to hold up the line, his persistence won. They got their pic, but not any purchases from this puppy.

I've had other experiences where no thank you wasn't taken on the first try. I have had a few where it was.

Part of the challenge in dealing with these people is that they don't work directly for HAL. From my experience, they inconsistently exhibit the same considerations of courtesy and service that the HAL crew does. Making comments on the survey hasn't changed anything that I can see, which is my reason for stating that I think they need to be reigned in.

Now I will acknowledge that my sensitivity to the Port Everglades experience was aggrivated by things out of HAL's control. Late flight arrival the day before, aggrivations with the transfer to the hotel, and a hotel transfer to the port that got me to the terminal (because of late hotel arrival) during a crunch time. So after clearing the check-in lines, my singular thought was to get to the ship, plop in a chair on the Lido and begin cruising the port and relaxing. I've had enough embarkation photos taken that I know I won't be interested in the results, I'm hardly in peak form for a photo op.

BTW, you have more cruises than I do, so if you haven't encountered these kinds of aggrivations, you're lucky.

I've got a good one for you. I was getting off the ship in Juneau this summer and there was a woman holding up everybody trying to get off the ship. "Why" you ask? She was asking directions to Mcdonalds .

Yup all the way to Juneau in search of Mcdonalds.

P.S. Encountering any rude photographer,have you tried any "Billy Jack" moves?

billyjack006.jpg

I love it all, it's all part of the cruising experience, bring on the towel animals, photographers, master chef dinners, formal nights, art auctions, baked alaska, etc. I say yes, yes, yes to it all but ditto to disembarkations that's the worse, and don't you dare go messing around with my piano bar.......you hear.

I'm happy that you have an attitude of not changing a thing. But I think it's realistic to assess the value of the various experiences in the contribution to your individual cruise experience. 1. For example, have you attended any art auctions? 2. Do you attend all the auctions? 3. Have you purchased anything at one or more of these auctions? 4. Are you happy with your purchases? 5. If you haven't purchased any art, what is the value of the art auctions to you? 6. Have you purchased any photos by the ship's photogs? 7. On an average cruise, how many photos do you purchase? 8. How significant would the absence of a ship's photog be in your cruise experience?

My answers would be:

1. Yes

2. No

3. No

4. N/A

5. Some entertainment while sitting at the Ocean Bar

6. Yes

7. less than 1

8. Not much

I've got a good one for you. I was getting off the ship in Juneau this summer and there was a woman holding up everybody trying to get off the ship. "Why" you ask? She was asking directions to Mcdonalds .

I'm not surprised having encountered the same desires expressed by a number of pax on the Hawaiian cruise. I guess the food served on HAL isn't greasy enough for some. But holding up the line trying to get directions is just discourteous, IMO.

No, those moves got shelved over 37 years ago. It is one of those use it or lose it skills, and not an attractive behavior when escourting a lady. IMO.

I'm not surprised having encountered the same desires expressed by a number of pax on the Hawaiian cruise. I guess the food served on HAL isn't greasy enough for some. But holding up the line trying to get directions is just discourteous, IMO.

No, those moves got shelved over 37 years ago. It is one of those use it or lose it skills, and not an attractive behavior when escourting a lady. IMO.

My list is:

1. Art Auctions and theirclutter. Very hard for vision impaired people to navigate around this stuff which is in peril of having a white cane stuck through the middle of a picture.

2. Smoking on balconie.

3. Chef's Dinner with the Salad Parade. First time was fun but now I want to avoid it.

Otherwise I love HAL and am a HUGE fan!!!!

It then becomes my problem to decide if I have to put up with them littering the cabin or fold up the towels and make the steward upset we didn't like them.

So I'm curious, what do you end up doing with them?

I find them amusing, but I take them apart pretty quickly and figure it's simply an extra towel. To me they are like a fancy folded napkin at dinner - a momentary diversion. I hope I never hurt my steward's feelings by not keeping them. There is no room for extra creatures in the cabins I typically stay in!

To stay on topic, I vote with those who want to get rid of pushy photographers and the bottlenecks they cause at embarkation and at disembarkation in the ports. Don't have to get rid of them entirely, but keep them in areas that don't interfere with passengers who don't want their picture taken.

Seeing as many are resistent to change in most forms on the ships, is there anything you would LIKE to see disappear? Anything aboard really annoy you or you think a total waste?

Besides charging paying passengers for Christening ceremonies ineptly "produced" by Bill Prince?

...Midship-Lido "Cabanas"?

...Fuel Surcharges? (just raise the dam ticket prices honestly)

..."Papparazi"? (The show - not the photographers)

...overworked waiters and stewards due to staffing cutbacks, towel animals and goofy "shows" that interrupt dinner?

...goofy "shows" that interrupt dinner?

...staff in Seattle and the Call-Centers that know less about the ships and their operation than we passengers?

I never noticed a recycling bin in our cabin. We attended the Environmental Officer's talk and he said they sort all the garbage anyway ... recycle what they can, burn what they can't. But I agree I don't need a note on my bed every night that says "Sleep tight."

The photographers on our ship just plain weren't very good. I've seen other cruise shots, esp. family groups, that turned out nice but our pictures weren't at all flattering and were poorly set up so we didn't buy them. Using all that ink and paper is a big waste. I love the idea of digitals you can trace with your key card.

The towel animals were cute but that seems like one more towel to wash ... another waste.

The doofus that did the port call talk on Victoria said ... and I kid you not ... "You can visit the Royal BC Museum, which is open late. What's in it? [blank stare] [shrug] It's a museum! Stuff!"

Seeing as many are resistent to change in most forms on the ships, is there anything you would LIKE to see disappear? Anything aboard really annoy you or you think a total waste?

Okay, keep the art auctions and bingo games (PT Barnum was right on target), but would someone take the microphone away from the person who is making the public address announcements re. art auctions and bingo games!!

I also wouldn't miss the "clothes police" and dining snobs, but it gives posters on these boards something to do!!!;)

:D :D

If anyone's still reading this thread, here's my opinion:

Do away with

Bingo announcements

Smoking on balconies

Master Chef's Embarrassment

Aggressive Sales Pitches by Steiner employees

Cheezy music between movies/programs on in-cabin TV

Loud, age-inappropriate music (heavy metal) in the Lido or Crow's Nest (Fogey alert!)

Early showtimes for late diners.

I LIKE the photographers, mainly because I look better in a photo than in person, and they do a great job and are polite, in my experience. I agree that the photo prices are very high, and that an IT solution would eliminate the waste and space. However, I love looking at the day's new photos each evening in the photo gallery, and they must rub their hands with glee when they see me coming.

We LOVE the towel animals. We display the best ones and use the others.

Thanks, Sail, for a great thread.

Agree totally... We hated the sales pitches. They bordered on inappropriate/harassment. The photos, while also a sales pitch were fun to look through when we went past, but unbelievably wasteful. Think bad carbon footprint....:D :D :D

This has really been one of the more interesting threads on the HAL board. I hope all your ideas are being "noticed" by someone.

Regards, Richard

Back in the days of yore, when dirt was still rock, places like this were used as part of market research. Not exclusively, but as an input to test the pulse of customers and to calibrate and cross check survey feedback and competitive moves. Compared to putting together and administering a survey, it is a relatively inexpensive way to get insights. It's not a source to put together a business plan, but it does provide some helpful insight to calibrate a business plan.

There are some things discussed here that, most likely, won't have much impact on what HAL does. These are easily screened by someone doing market research. Some speculative screened examples include smoking (since HAL already has it's own survey underway), art auctions (since they make money for HAL, or supposedly do) and children (since HAL is not going to ignore the younger population with children).

But there is some information that would likely be helpful for HAL to refine its offerings, and it doesn't take a lot of time for a market research firm to hone in on those and report back. I doubt that HAL does its own market research, as in most cases today, this is farmed out to companies that specialize in the task.

But, as I said, this is a perspective from the days of yore, I haven't dealt with this aspect of business for about 10 years. 10 years is an eternity in internet time.

OH!

And "As You Wish" Dining!

(If I wanted to eat any-dam-time I'd go to the Lido, order Room Service, or book NCL)

I could be wrong, but the sense that I get from reading here is that many major cruise lines are offering open seating in some form. Is my impression incorrect?

If not, I see open seating as a response to the competitive trends set by the rest of the industry (although pioneered by NCL). If my impression is correct and given the size of HAL, I don't see how it could survive without a competitive response. Without a competitive response, I think HAL would have to shrink and become more specialized, catering to a smaller audience. Given the breadth of Carnival Corp holdings, I would be surprised if it chose to create another specialized brand from one that has broader appeal in the mass market unless it had no choice, in which case I think the number of ships and the cruises offered would shrink dramatically.

I could be wrong, but the sense that I get from reading here is that many major cruise lines are offering open seating in some form. Is my impression incorrect?

If not, I see open seating as a response to the competitive trends set by the rest of the industry (although pioneered by NCL). If my impression is correct and given the size of HAL, I don't see how it could survive without a competitive response. Without a competitive response, I think HAL would have to shrink and become more specialized, catering to a smaller audience. Given the breadth of Carnival Corp holdings, I would be surprised if it chose to create another specialized brand from one that has broader appeal in the mass market unless it had no choice, in which case I think the number of ships and the cruises offered would shrink dramatically.

Would HAL copy NCL? Ruth Chris didn't copy Mcdonalds and start selling chicken nuggets and put in a drive thru window?

You'll most likely see this

fashionpolice1.jpg

LOL - that was a riot. I think you have identified one of the enhancements to the Mariner program. After the appropriate number of cruises, each Mariner is given one of these that can be added to their dining room attire. The badge confers on them the justification to leer, stare and snear at those that don't conform to the appropriate dress standards, but requires each to explain why they're leering, staring or sneering when asked.

Now the question is, at what level is the award given? My recommendation is that it's given after 3 or more cruises.

Power to the people!:D

Would HAL copy NCL?

I don't think HAL has copied NCL. They offer a product which incorporates some of NCL's dining options in response to other competitive pressures.

Ruth Chris didn't copy Mcdonalds and start selling chicken nuggets and put in a drive thru window?

Market segmentation and knowing what market segment you are trying to serve. To me, HAL is targeting the "high" end, mass market, as contrasted to the premium market or the economy mass market. CCL has offerings in the premium market (Cunard, e.g) and the economy market (Carnival, e.g). With HAL, they have an offering in between these two, but it is "stuck in the middle" and in order to survive, has to adopt responses to the economy market nipping at its heels and being able to exploit offerings found in the premium market, allowing it to distinguish itself in the "high" end of the mass market.

Using your example, let me give you an analogy. In my area, it wasn't that long ago that mid-tier restaurants started offering call ahead take out service with curb side pick up. It's not the same convenience as the arches, but it is more convenient than what it was before. Drive through was the domain of the economy restaurants, but now the mid tier are providing a service that approximates that convenience while attempting to maintain their distinction from the "economy" segment.

I don't think HAL has copied NCL. They offer a product which incorporates some of NCL's dining options in response to other competitive pressures.

Market segmentation and knowing what market segment you are trying to serve. To me, HAL is targeting the "high" end, mass market, as contrasted to the premium market or the economy mass market. CCL has offerings in the premium market (Cunard, e.g) and the economy market (Carnival, e.g). With HAL, they have an offering in between these two, but it is "stuck in the middle" and in order to survive, has to adopt responses to the economy market nipping at its heels and being able to exploit offerings found in the premium market, allowing it to distinguish itself in the "high" end of the mass market.

Using your example, let me give you an analogy. In my area, it wasn't that long ago that mid-tier restaurants started offering call ahead take out service with curb side pick up. It's not the same convenience as the arches, but it is more convenient than what it was before. Drive through was the domain of the economy restaurants, but now the mid tier are providing a service that approximates that convenience while attempting to maintain their distinction from the "economy" segment.

However (there's always a however) This whole AYWD is a sticky subject? It seems it was always (up until 5 years ago) late seating or early seating? What's all of a sudden happened? Did the ship builders goof,and not make a big enough dining room alll of a sudden? It's hard to fathom a person that books a year out and can't get traditional dining? I got the ole bait and switch on my next cruise. I booked on the ship,and the future cruise consultant asked me what dining I wanted? I asked for late night traditional she typed it into her lap top and I was good to go. I get home and open my email and find out (you guessed it) I'm on waitlist for traditional dining. The point is why even ask me? I'll stop with AYWD it's a real thorn in my side.

On your example. The verdict isn't out yet?

If these are the mid tier restaurants you were mentioning (maybe they aren't)

1. Chilis

2. Applebees

3. Fridays

4. Ruby Tuesdays

Then you're very generous calling them mid-tier. These above places baffle me,it's subpar lousy food,lousy service,and on any Friday or Saturday night there's people waiting in line with a beeper. Now if you want to avoid waiting with a beeper,and dealing with an inept waitstaff,you can call ahead and bring this slop home.icon10.gif

Archived